Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New Shop!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 08:53 AM
rcpileit-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Shop!!

Guys, some of you have great places to work / hide out! I have just gotten approval from the Warden (my wife) to build a 24' x 24' garage strictly for the purpose of housing my aircraft workshop! I can't wait! I have ben stuck in a tiny spare bedroom as a shop for 14 years. It will nice to assemble an aircraft and not bang a wing / fuselage against a wall!! More to come.

George
Old 05-10-2002, 02:23 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Shop!!

I think you should take the "Warden" to a Bed and Breakfast for the weekend for that.......and stop calling her Warden!

Congrats!

Bob
Old 05-10-2002, 04:27 PM
stevezero

Default New Shop!!

George, that might require a trip down to Ashville and a stay at the Biltmore, or at a B&B in Dillsboro or Boone. I wonder if they let you fly park fliers in the big huge grassy areas on the property (WEG). Congratulations, and post pics.

One recommendation would be to have a flat countertop that you can take a piece of tempered glass 1/4 inch or thicker, say, 18x48 or so, and use that to cut monocote on. It's hard to score the glass, and its easier on blades than wood (not to mention the errant cuts you make in wood from the blade following a previous path. You can also set patterns under the glass to use as templates for your monokote. Just remove the panel, and its back to workbench space.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:05 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Default New Shop!!

Mine agreed to a new 540 square foot shop (16' x 35')- attached to her new house! Seriously, we looked all over for a house we could add a shop to, and ended up designing our own and hiring a builder. Should be done June 15.

A couple of suggestions: If you can, put the ceiling 10' high. Buy LOTS of electrical outlets and install them yourself - the electrician wanted $24 each, I did them for ~$2 each. I have one every 4' around the perimeter 4' off the floor. I also ran 3 rows on the ceiling for lights. If possible, put an electrical sub-panel in it, and by all means insulate it.

I picked up a closeout pattern of high quality vinyl flooring at Home Depot for $3 a sq yd - marked down from $22.99.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:20 PM
sideshow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Shop!!

I completely agree with Steve on the building glass. Its the best. I posted a bunch of pictures here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...743&forumid=63

Check it out.

Bobb
Old 05-10-2002, 10:07 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default New Shop!!

One thing I did to keep the electrical cords off the work bench is put a bunch of 6 plug outlets under the edge of my work bench. It really is nice as you don't have those darn cords all over the place. One last thing about the shop, when it's done then welcome to paradise!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2002, 12:01 AM
rcpileit-RCU

Default New Shop

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Man if I had to do the B & B thing there wouldn't be any left for the shop! What with the shopping and this and that!

1) Sideshow- Beavis and Butthead reference "He said member, etc." too funny!!

2) Stevezero- I am using glass now and what an easy way to cut monocote and balsa parts using this. As for the Biltmore- my man you been sniffing too much nitro!! Ha-Ha!!

3) Teachu2-As for the electrical outlets, I plan too have that covered as well as insulating, etc..

4) GrnBrt- Thanks for the cords suggestion and the welcome. I have been admiring your comments on various posts for a while now.

Again thanks for the input,

George
Old 05-13-2002, 03:21 PM
stevezero

Default New Shop!!

HAHAHAHA George, I hear ya about the Biltmore.

I wired my garage with 6 20 amp dedicated circuits. Each has a total of 6-8 outlets, with a GFCI outlet inline. I also have two in the ceiling, one running the flourescent lights (the $7.45 plug in shop lights, controlled by the light switch), and one for chargers, garage door opener, etc.

I insulated and drywalled my garage (minus one area where all my telephone, cable, network cabling).

Another great tip is to put a workbench, or even an old dresser on casters to use to work on your planes. It can roll around out of the way, or rotate easily to work on the other side of the plane. Use a plastic PVC cradle and youre in business.

More tips to follow lunch....
Steve
Old 05-13-2002, 06:55 PM
phughes

Default New Shop!!

If it is possible put a lot of natural light, and its own heat / air. When I built a new home I found a plan that had a nice bonus room over the garage. It had two sky lights, a commercial style heat / air unit. The knee walls have access doors so I can hide boxes etc. The floor is the laminate that looks like wood . . .it is great to clean as a swiffer grabs everything. The only thing that is not the greatest is I have to make a 90 turn to go up the stairs! I love the shop, and spend most nights upstairs in the shop!

PBH