Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

FLIGHT FIELD BOX QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 09:51 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FLIGHT FIELD BOX QUESTION

I am trying to streamline what I take to the field-I usually take four planes-with a mixture of 2 stroke and four stroke glow and gas equipment-I use to try to keep all the glow stuff in one box and all gas stuff in the other plus a small tool box-that is three boxes-the standard flight boxes that you see will not hold all the stuff that I like to take-any ideas or anyone know of anyone building a larger box that would carry all the junk-20 inch props and starters and such-thanks
Old 11-30-2003, 10:06 PM
bearmech
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FLIGHT FIELD BOX QUESTION

My son and I usually only take 3 plane to the field at one time, so I re-load my flight box for each plane we take. It helps lighten the load by a whole lot. Maybe you could carry a basic tool box with all the tools you usually need, screw drivers allen wrenches, etc. then another box that has airplane specific supplies, glow starter, fuel pumps, etc. and two fuel containers, gas and glow. The other solution is a trailer with everything in it.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:11 PM
goneflyn

When I first started in this hobby, I crashed a lot, and generally ended the day with all my planes damaged in some manner. I eventually worked my way up to three planes, and could stay at the field most of the day. But, I wanted a BIG flight box so I could carry everything I needed to make the repairs at the field. Just in case I damaged anything, I wanted to be able to repair it right there and make a full day of flying. For my birthday my kids bought me a SIG field boss. It is great! I has a battery, power panel, glow ignitor, and electric fuel pump. It holds all the tools, repair equipment, and accessories for a full day at the field, about the only thing I can't do is properly is repair covering--but I have a big roll of tape for that.

Unfortunately, it is now very heavy. I don't know how much it weighs but I would guess between 30 & 40lbs. It is chore to heft out of the trunk. The only short coming the box has is there is only one place for a gallon jug of fuel. I fly both 2 and 4 strokes, so I need two different fuels. I use one compartment next to the fuel for my props and the one next to the battery for a cleaner bottle. I have considered taking out the cleaner and using a small jug for my 2 stroke fuel and another pump. But, I opted to carry a seperate jug and fuel pump attached with a strap. I really like my field boss, but, the weight may be a concern. If I had more room, I would make a little cart for it, but at the field where I fly, we can park really close to the pit, so it hasn't been necessary, YET! :-).

I have the opinion "Bigger is Better" in regards to most things [8D]
Old 12-01-2003, 03:31 PM
cknaack
My Feedback: (1)

The Sig field Boss is a great box, but it is somewhat heavy. Wheels on one end help though.

Regarding the fuel issue, I have been using the same fuel for both 2 strokes and 4 strokes for years without ANY issues. I know that there is many different opinions here, but one fuel has been working for me.

I use Wildcat 15% nitro - 16% oil. I run everything from an O.S. .46FX to a Saito 1.80. If you are concerned about oil content (as some people are) then you can go to the 18% oil version that Wildcat offers. I am sure that other fuel suppliers can offer the same product, so brand may not be a big issue.
That may be an answer to hauling 2 different brews to the field.

Just a thought.............
Old 12-01-2003, 09:04 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have 3 flight boxes, one for the glow engines--planes--
the other one is for the helicopters,
and the third one i am now putting together is for the turbine
it is easier to have 2 flight boxes then it is to keep changes equipment back and forth

mark
Old 12-02-2003, 12:03 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

It seems that the farther you live from the field the more stuff you tend to carry. I stopped taking more than two planes because it's more to clean and your flying does not improve when you spread yourself out. I also take either gas or glow but not both because it's two differant set's of gear. All the glow stuff goes in the field box and a small tool box holds the gas equipment. Life is much simpler that way.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:12 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

During the time I've been flying I think I went through six different flight boxes. The more I advanced in the hobby the bigger I thought my flight box should be. Last year I saw a post by Billy Hell and he was showing off his flight box. It was a stackable tool chest with wheels and a handle to pull it a long with.
Later I saw a portable tool box on sale at Walmart and bought it for under $25.00, I took it home and claean out the flight box I had at the time. My field gear is all charged at home, I have a field charger for my batteries & glow plug. My fuel can fits well in the bottom tub, the second tub is where I put all my tools, starter, and even have a clear parts tray for all those screws, clevises, and a few spare servo's in case one gives out.
Both tubs have a parts tray that I put all my props, & tools, blasa stock and in. If I get a rip in the covering, I use clear packageing tape to temperarally fix it then fix the covering at home.
The portable tool chest has worked well and my other flight boxes have all been sold or given away.
I still have alot of room in my flight box so I still find myself throwing in something I could use at the flying field.
The only bad part is lifting the thing into the truck, Its alittle on the heavy side, but the wheels and hand make it glid right along.
It also sets real nice inside my cabinet where I charge all my TX & RX batteries. So its out of the way when not in use.
When It wa completed I took some of the decals that tend to build up and it now looks like traveling advertisment for various hobby items.
So put a bug in Santa's ear that you want one for Christmas and maybe there will be one under the tree Xmas morning.
NEDYOB
Old 02-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Jimmbbo

Check out this thread - several variations you might find interesting and useful...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16.../tm.htm#167247

Cheers!

Jim
Old 02-18-2004, 04:10 PM
RCJones

Check out the Billy Hell thread. I built the Wal-mart box too. Also I use coolpower 15% green for my Saito 150, 180 and OS40s.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:54 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I, too, have a mix of two and four stroke. My solution is to carry only what I need to assemble the planes and start and tune the engines at the flight line in my field box (a medium size Koyosho). I have two tackle boxes I leave in the car. One is full of spares and repair parts (and refills for the field box) and the other is tools. I periodically move stuff out of the firld box if it hasn't been needed and leave it in one of the two tackle boxes.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:40 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

goneflyn,
As cknaack said, I too use standard 2 stroke fuel in my four strokes and have never had a problem. The only difference between 2 and 4 stroke fuels (that I've ever heard about) is that 4 stroke fuel has less oil. I figure a little more oil can't hurt my 4 strokes, so....
Dennis-