Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Dubro snow skis, Any good?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Dubro snow skis, Any good?

Old 12-04-2003, 12:48 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dubro snow skis, Any good?

I've just asked my LHS to get some of these, I'm thinking of using them on an LT-40 with an OS FS70...

Looking through the RC mags, I don't see much alternative (aside from making my own). Only one company is advertising, Maiden Model Products. I'm sure last year there were several companies making them..

So are the Dubro's adequate? Anyone have experience in using them?
Old 12-04-2003, 12:56 PM
shford
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dubro snow skis, Any good?

I put a set of these on my hanger 9 trainer last winter and my buddy put a pair on his ultra stick. We both had a blast. Very easy to use.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:41 PM
cropdusterdave
My Feedback: (2)

I have a pair...seemed bigger than they needed to be. Skis are very easy to make out of coroplast and scrap material. Either way...it's a blast!

Have fun
Old 12-05-2003, 08:23 AM
1/4 flyboy
My Feedback: (1)

Hello

I like mine letting the boy use them this year I will just use my float plane they are a good quality but I feel exspensive for what you get.but I'm cheap so you may not think that they are. Lots of fun.[8D]
Old 12-05-2003, 08:52 AM
J.Paul Saure

I have the Du-Bro aluminium skis, they're very good. Don't know about the new version.

Good luck.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:04 AM
PigMan Buggerus
My Feedback: (6)

I put the Dubro plastic skis on my Avistar last winter, and the worked great, just be ready to add a little down trim to your plane, you get a lot mor lift with those skis on the front.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:02 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Jay dee skis... What I use, and have a smart retention / spring system. No drillin into the anding gear frame.. IMO, better, and cheaper than Dubro (and Canadian!!)

http://www.jaydeeskis.com/

http://www.westwindsrc.com/ModelReviews/jaydeeskis_html
Old 12-05-2003, 11:06 AM
PigMan Buggerus

dr_wogz,
I am confused, I didn't have to drill anything to use the Du-Bros, they slipped right onto the axles of my gear.

Allan
Old 12-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Deadeye

I scratch built some out of plastic sheet and plastic stock last winter. But, after using my floats on the snow this winter, they will never be put on another plane again! Floats work soooooo much better.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:51 AM
tiggerinmk

Thanks for the info guys. Dr_wogz, they were the other skis I saw last year, thanks for the link. They don't seem to be advertising in the mags this year....

I've asked my LHS to get me some Dubros so I'll probably try them first. If I feel the need, and the winter is long enough, I'll consider the aluminium ones.....
Old 12-05-2003, 12:03 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Pigman,

Might be my mistake. The dubros that I last saw (about two years ago..) you had to affix teh 'spring wire' to the landing gear. that usually meant a tapped hole, or jsut a hole to secure teh spring wire.

looks like they've changed their design..
Old 12-05-2003, 12:31 PM
smokingcrater

You don't need to drill, but I would recommend dremel'ing a flat spot on the shaft where the setscrew rests, otherwise no matter how hard you crank it down it will eventually turn.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:14 PM
vkernus
My Feedback: (1)

When switching to skis, do you need to change propellers as well? I cut the grass with the prop on my trainer now, I would think on skis i would be hitting snow or worse yet the ground.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:26 PM
PigMan Buggerus

You might want to switch to a shorter prop, but try not to make too drastic of a change. Your plane will behave much differently with the skis alone, much less making major changes elsewhere. There was a review of skis in RC Report(the best rc mag by the way) a couple of issues ago. They compared the Maiden Model skis to the DuBro's. The Maiden Model's are a little more expensive, but the one big advantage that they have is a higher mounting block. They would be better in your situation, it would give you a little more prop clearance. If I remember correctly, I was chopping snow with my prop til I got up to speed, and the skis came up out of the snow. I think skis would work better on hard packed snow rather than powdery snow. I have seen several guys fly off of snow using floats, and this seems to work really well. Powdery snow isn't an issue with floats. Anyway if you want to check out the Maiden Model skis go to http://www.maidenusammp.com/.

The other issue that I had with the dubros, was that the nose ski on my trainer wanted to flex up into the prop. I was able to abjust it though without too much trouble.

Good luck on whichever ones you go with. Don't ever let a little snow keep you from flying.

Allan

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with Maiden Models, or RC Report magazine.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Highflyer

i am scratch building some skis from 1/4 plywood steamed/boiled and bent to shape (my own design) i'll let evryone know how they turn out
Old 12-08-2003, 11:04 PM
flying klown
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Dubro snow <span class=

I got the Du-Bro skis today. I thought I installed them correctly. My friend (old instructor) Was there too and checked them before flight. We took off and I was going ok and the nose ski got caught in the prop and ended up behind the prop vertical.

I had to come in like that and filpped over once. No damage but have worked on this problem all day and night no avail. Anyone got ant suf=ggestions? I am at my wits end with these damn things. But I cannot fly until I get them fixed. Live in the New England area and the fields are all covered with 4 to 18" of Snow! Will be there awahile!

Thanks
IVN
Old 12-08-2003, 11:59 PM
Deadeye

Got floats?
Old 12-09-2003, 12:24 AM
flying klown

Naw man no floats ..Like I said I have the Skis.....I just bought them....
Old 12-09-2003, 05:30 AM
Mini Boy

HI STARTSIVS:

Here's how Bruce Stenulson does it:

http://www.stenulson.net/rcflight/skikits.htm

I think this is a pretty slick setup to keep the skis from rotating, yet give them some flex. The float idea is a good one, and as others have said, they work BETTER than skis on snow (I think that would mean powdery/smoothe snow). But on my lake, the fishermen, snowmobilers, ATV'ers etc, make a mess of the snow/frozen slush and I would be sure to smash up my nice fiberglass floats on the frozen slush and ice chunks.

My thoughts.

Happy & Safe flying,

Russ
Old 12-09-2003, 08:43 AM
flying klown

Thanks...That is nice. I wish I would have got the floats now. I have rigged up a system myself last night. It looks promising. But will never know till I get out there. So around 1 to 3 PM today I will try. It worked fine at first. The nose ski just wanted to rise into the prop.

I have stopped that. So this should work. I hope...
Old 12-09-2003, 10:33 AM
Mini Boy

Good Luck startsivs. Hope it works O.K.

Russ
Old 12-09-2003, 08:25 PM
cdsmith

Dubro skis work for me
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23554.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	81132  
Old 12-09-2003, 09:14 PM
Mini Boy

cdsmith:

That setup looks fine. Do you know what the all up weight of your ship is?

Russ
Old 12-10-2003, 12:47 AM
flying klown

I have a tri wire landing gear on my Trainer. I have three trainers. I am getting after the 1st of year a 4 Star 60. I have a 91 Magnum already to go broke it in and cannot wait to move up to me second plane. Being from the south I never saw anyone fly in the snow. I just started flying in June this year anyway. I started a 3 channel Lanier plane down south in 1925 but I got sick.(Cancer) and had to quit and sold everything. BUT I am Alive! I a .60 webra.

Nevertheless. I flew great yesterday and today. But I have the same problem. one ski wanted to go vertical.
I was told the wire gear is hard to get these to work. but I have rigged up a system that shows promise. I will get out there tomorrow. Because if I want to fly, I am going to have to use the skis because our field is covered! Only me and one other giuy my old instructor have been flying out of 170 members!

So the field is in good shape. There are 4 foot drifts! It is going to be there for a long time!
But I did take off a third time thinking I fuixed the problem and up it went and made the drag so bad i was losing control. With a little head wind it made it bad. I ended up off course and floated into a tree. But was able to get it out ok. the motor was still running. I lost a wing and had several holes. This Trainer was given to me anyway and it is old and beat up anyway. But I have a brand new wing that a guy gave me after he trashed his trainer. So I made all repairs tonight and fixed the skis with a metal pushrod. I tied it to the wire gear and went through the ski itself. Then came out in front and made the end spring like and it will prevent the ski from getting vertical! I have all three like this now and several rubber bands around the base of the also. This is going to work and have some fun now.

I was told they do not work on wire gear and to get the aluminum gear. I have the Fiberglass on one. Too late now. If thios doesn't work I will have no choice but to do that or get floats. BUT I just paid $30.00 for the skis! They are going to work! Know what I mean?

Hey Cdsmith Elmford NY,NY? is that in the city? I had to move from the city because my wife will not live there anymore. she grew up there and hates it. Her dad was born and raised there. I love it myself. I worked in the city for years. In the last days I had to metro-north in to GST every-other day! What a bumber. Glad that is over. But Connecticut is nice. I was just in the city Sunday. I worked between Madison and Park on 28th for years. The subway let me off a half block from my work from GCT.

And Mini, I did something like ou supplied to me the info. So thanks for that!

David
Old 12-10-2003, 03:00 PM
Mini Boy

David:

Sounds like you have the ski situation under control .... glad the info from the Stenulson website was of some help to you.

I'll think of you this week-end while going to "The City" for some shopping and the Radio City Music Hall "Christmas Spectacular". Taking the Amtrak "Acella" from New London.

Happy "Skiing"

Russ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.