Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Are planes safer in the air?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Are planes safer in the air?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 11:02 AM
khlash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are planes safer in the air?

Whats the worst thing thats happened to one of your planes when it wasnt even flying? Lets hear em'!
Old 12-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Hypter
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Are planes safer in the air?

I have broken elevators and rudders carrying them through doorways, I droped an xacto knife through a wing once... bad part about that was when I picked it up I droped it again and put another hole right beside the other one. My wife shut one of my wings in the door of our truck once while she was helping me load up, even though it was fixed at the field with some packing tape, she dont help me anymore
Old 12-08-2003, 11:15 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, planes are safer in the air because they are out of reach of car doors, ceiling fans, kids, Labrador Retrievers, my clumsyness, and the low floor joists in my basement.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Rocketeer10

worst thing that ever happened to one of my planes (the original .60-size Top FLight P-51 Mustang) was while it was in storage over the winter, a family of field mice moved into it and made a nice home for themselves. The innards of the model were not repairable!

GY
Old 12-08-2003, 11:53 AM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Some of the poor things must suffer from extreme loneliness when I take others out for a trip around the patch. I try to hang models on the walls to save space. The obvious result is failing hangers and a short trip to the concrete. While helping a friend solder some landing gear wire I knocked one off the bench. Large airplane, small pieces.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:17 PM
encan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i stepped on my rubber powered airplane
Old 12-08-2003, 12:22 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

House burned down and killed all my planes[:@] never seen a threat of electrical short at 1000 feet.[>:]
Old 12-08-2003, 01:51 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I've been pretty lucky, but there was this story on google rc groups where this guy just got done with his Senior Telemaster wing when the phone rang. I guess he ran upstairs with the wing and set the wing down across the arms of his favorite phone chair to get the phone. Well, you guessed it, after he picked up the phone he went and sat down in his favorite phone chair. When he heard the first crunching it was too late. Then he said he sat talking on the phone with both wing halves pointing straight up in the air and the center section you know where......

There's also some great avitars around here with kids "working" on daddy's plane. Fortunately, my kids never "helped out".
Old 12-09-2003, 05:32 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

I had my egalet 50 burn to ashes in the bed of my pick-up, I flicked my cigg butt out but it went right into the fuselage. The stupid thing is that it took a LAPD patrol man to pull me over before I noticed it was on fire! I lost a friend that day but got out of a ticket thou?!
Old 12-09-2003, 05:41 AM
planebuilder66

Oh yeah!, I forgot to say that I've had tons of hanger-rash but now I just hang everything from the ceiling, out of sight out of step-on.Plus it looks so much cooler when your friends come over and just stare at the plane filled sky and realize why they don't see you anymore! I hang every thing from my GWS tigermoth to my GP pitts special and GSP super decathalon, wings and all. 14 of them in all plus 4 more the wife doesn't know about yet, The "I had this in the closet for years!" trick seems to be not working anymore, O-well?!
Old 12-09-2003, 06:03 AM
Cactus.

a rotor sucked my Shrike off the grass and threw it at me, over my head and landed on top of the Bug ( UK Spinsation ) putting a hole in the wing and taking off the Shrikes fin.
I've broken a few fins carrying the planes through the house also.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:41 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Placed two planes behind the truck while unloading one evening. Put every thing else away.[:-] Got in the truck and backed over them.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:58 AM
planebuilder66

I've never backed over any of mine but I have left the field without my transmitter about 10 times this year, still in the case and waiting to be loaded, just sitting there waiting and hoping I'd come back for it.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:18 AM
Cactus.

oh yes you reminded me, a club member ran over his FF8 with his Jag, the Jag won LOL
also seen a well known UK pilot crash his plane a bit, then run over what was left by accident, not a happy bunny lol
Old 12-09-2003, 09:12 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

GoinStaight,
I read that same account of the guy and the phone chair. The way he told it, you could feel his pain. [&:]

Philly,
A rotor? Full scale helicopter rotor, or....??

Worst thing I've done (so far) was to step on a stab. Was at the field running the engine up, getting ready to fly, and went to stand in front of the horizontal stab. You know, everyone does it. Miss stepped just enough to plant a heel directly on top of the stab. I heard that sickening 'cru-unch' over the engine noise.
Dennis-
Old 12-09-2003, 09:52 AM
zxcv11

Had just finished covering a wing on a 2m glider kit. Wing was longer than my bench so it was on the floor .
Girlfriend walked by, jumped for phone, and her foot came down directly in the middle inner-panel of the wing. [X(]
Crrrunch!!
I swear I saw it all in slo-mo, and could feel that crunch all the way down in the pit of my stomach.
Ooooohhh...talk about biting your tongue!! Just had to say 'it's alright, was my fault for having it on the floor'. <wince>
She still felt bad for quite a while though.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:37 AM
Cactus.

a rotor is a swirl of wind that comes from the 400' cliffs at the end of our field, the wind spins and comes across the field, you can see this from the windsock which will even point up, and feel it as it passes. when flying you can get a 20mph head wind, followed by a down draft, tail wind and updraft, makes landing hard.
this rotor was hard enough to suck my 10 size Shrike off the floor and throw it over my head!
Old 12-09-2003, 11:00 AM
ballgunner

goinstraightup that was the saddest/funniest story I've heard in ages. The funny part should be in the Humor section but the sad part should be posted in the Things to Watch Out For.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Heheeee, thanks guys.

To give you guys another laugh, I did a search and found the original account.

[link=http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Phone+Chair+group:rec.models.rc.air&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.models.rc.air&selm=alm56t%2476k%242%40slb6.atl.mindspring.net&rnum=3]Telemaster wing & Phone Chair[/link]
Old 12-09-2003, 01:58 PM
Kaos Rulz

Here's another good chuckle that I read about. Not sure if I read it here, or elsewhere, but I sure remember it well. As it turns out a gentleman in Alaska needed to break-in a new engine mounted to his plane, but it was too cold to do this outside. Being resourceful, he partly opened his garage door and stuck the tail-feathers outside so that the door would hold the plane and the exhaust would go outside. All went well except it was a bit loud. No problem - ear plugs took care of that. Two or three tanks were sucessfully run as he slightly leaned each tank out to the point where he was on his last tank and the engine was peaked out. About that time his wife returns from the grocery store and activates the garage door, releasing the plane! [X(] The plane took off rickechying off the walls, ceiling and floor like a pissed off hornet, as the poor guy was dunking, dodgeing, swaying, and I'm sure cussing. The plane finally lodged itself behind the refrigerator. Luckily no one was hurt. Can't say the same for the plane.

I think this is a true story, as I can see how this might have happened. Anyone else heard of this?
Old 12-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Kaos Rulz

Sorry - I forgot to answer the question. Planes are a lot safer in the air, provided the air isn't confined to a garage.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:27 PM
TTARK

Gee wish my GF would do something like that I could guilt her into a lifetime supply of new planes, engines etc..[>:]
Old 12-09-2003, 04:18 PM
rockmon

I was turning around in my basement to go hang up the Giles and slammed the tail into the jackpost and broke one side of the tail feathers loose from the fuse. I want to fly off the lake with it or I would use this as the excuse I need to change the covering on it. Now the mice that's another story. I don't know if it means it's going to be a bad winter or what but I have never had as many little critters move into my house as I have this year and they all like model planes. I picked my 4* up and heard this rattle, the first thing I thought was one of the boys or my wife stepped on it and crunched something so I shook it and took a look. There must have been a bowl of dogfood as far back in the tail as it could get. Then I saw that it must eat balsa for, like, desert because it had chewed a little on the whole inside of the fuse, just a little here and a little there and not enough yet to hurt anything. It must have just moved in or something. So then I start checking other things out, they were gnawing on the edges of wing tube holes and dowel rod holes on my S.E. wings and my Texas Hurricane wings, boy they like the edges of them holes. So I set a couple of traps and there's a bunch of dead would be balsa gnawer's. My wife came home with, what to her is a more humane mouse trap, huh huh huh, they ate it. They were supposed to get stuck inside it on this real sticky stuff and then I guess starve to death but they ate it. I figured they must have to chew their feet off and crawl off and bleed to death, which was fine by me after what they did to my planes. No mice in the air so yup.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:19 PM
BigBird1
My Feedback: (4)

Life is, a just covered Bridi Big Bee fuse setting in the floor with the cat asleep inside it..
Old 12-10-2003, 07:41 AM
EagleOne

I have broken the stab of my trainer 5 times: 2 carrying around the house, 2 putting the plane on the car and 1 when I put it in my father's truck and forgot to lock it so it wouldn't move. My father had to brake suddenly due to a dog crossing the street and you can guess the rest
I also hang my planes on the wall, but luckly in 2 years none have felt so far......

I once had a .15 sized CAP (the original Capiche) that after a crash, while wating for repairs, became the target for a 6yr old (he was one of my friend's brother) with a BB gun. Swiss cheese isn't enough to describe what remained.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.