Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Old Enough?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 12:48 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Enough?

Last weekend when I asked my son what he wanted for Christmas (he had never asked for anything yet, gotta love him!) the first thing he said was a play station II. (Naturally) He already has an X-box and a Gamecube so my answer was no way! I would get him most anything he wants but he needs outside things, not more sit inside and get mesmerized toys. I figure he has enough of them already. He said let me think about it for a while and that was the last I heard about it.

Saturday we went to the field to do some flying and one of the other members was flying a Flip 3D and my son was facinated with it. When the guy landed matt told me "Dad, thats what I want for Christmas. I want a plane that I can fly like that." We put his Kadet Senior up in the air & I asked him if he thought he was ready for a plane like that and he said "sure" and proceeded to roll the Kadet upside down and fly it around like that for about 5 minutes or so. Now I am a pretty good flyer but the wind was blowing pretty good (20 mph or so) and I don't know if I coulda done that or not. The Kadet is a docile flyer but it isn't real easy to fly inverted, even on a good day. Then to prove his point he hovered it for about 30 seconds and did a nice torque roll to boot! The Kadet is a little overpowered with a K&B .61

Anyway, I went looking for a Flip 3D and couldn't find one so I "settled" for a world models Fun World 3D. I already had a Saito 1.20 sitting around doing nothing and enough good servo's to outfit it so that kinda made it affordable.

I know this is too much plane for him to fly all by himself but he really is pretty good and I figure I will be right there to keep him out of trouble (hopefully) so what do you think? Can a 9 year old handle a 3d plane of this caliber?
Old 12-19-2003, 01:18 AM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Old Enough?

You might consider a magic extra or a simply magic. both are .46 sized and good entry level 3d birds.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:55 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

way to go!!!!! Now anytime you can get them away from that stupid tube is a plus in my book big time! Kids now days sit in front of that thing and go brain dead. My Son in Laws Dad is like that and he's all ready brain dead!!! He thinks my hobby is silly and any one can do it, told him to come out and give it try, no takes as of this date. I also agree, get him a .46 size first as the bigger ones will come soon enough.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:48 AM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you've already made the investment, so go ahead. Larger 3D type aircraft fly better than smaller ones anyway. (Or so I'm told by our club's "pro".)

Glad to see he's interested in something other than the tube! Do all you can to keep him involved.
Dennis-
Old 12-19-2003, 10:36 AM
cstevec

Yeah, I think kids today spend way to much time playing video games and too little time outdoors. I am only a weekend dad so I tend to spoil him a little bit I guess but I got into this hobby as something we could do together. It was something I was interested in anyway and when I got the first plane he was just facinated with the whole idea. Now when we get together on the weekend his first questions are usually what we are going to fly that weekend and whether or not I have got any new planes.

You are right, I have already made the investment, wanted it to be ready for Christmas. I would like to have been able to build it with him but assemblying kits doesn't hold his attention for long and he wouldn't have been flying it until spring with us only being able to work on it during the weekends for a couple of hours at a time.

He isn't totally new to 3D planes, as he has flown my Funtana around on the buddy box a few times and even taken a turn on some of my other planes. Most of them represent a little to much of an investment for me to just turn him loose on them and he has been getting a little bit bored with just flying trainers around. I bought him a Great planes Super Sportster for his birthday but he hasn't shown much enthusiasm for it because it flys too fast and is "too small". I would have loved to have gotten him a Magic Extra or a Pizazz but couldn't find either of those either.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:53 AM
raptor5900

man he is lucky i want a flip too can you get me one........my dad would probly rather buy me a PS2 or a game thing instead of a plane hehe but i wouldnt really want it.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:08 PM
Cactus.

Hype would have been a good choice
Old 12-19-2003, 02:26 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shame you couldn't make it down to Richmond, I think Ken's got a Flip, I know he's got the Magic Extra and he's just got a couple of Hype 3D's too....

Make sure you don't wreck it on the test flight before letting your son have a go!
Old 12-19-2003, 02:33 PM
cstevec

Hey Tony,
I tried to call Ken last night but he wasn't answering the phone at the store. As a matter of fact I am going there tonight (if the store is open) I need servo leads for this thing and another project or two.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:17 PM
glowplug

cstevec, that's great!! I hope that my sons get into flying when they get a little older. From what I hear, the WM Fun World is a docile plane with low throws......let him work up to the all out 3D. Give him some time to "feel out" the plane...then gradually increase the throws......He'll still be able to do much more wild aerobatics at low throws than he could with the senior! I think he'll still have a lot of fun with it while building up to 3D flying.