Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Why do you like R/C Planes and do you think it's a good hobby to grow up with...

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Why do you like R/C Planes and do you think it's a good hobby to grow up with...

Old 12-24-2003, 07:50 AM
Born to Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you like R/C Planes and do you think it's a good hobby to grow up with...

Let's discuss how we R/C people think about this hobby....

I understand that most of the questions posted in this forum are mostly technical questions and discussions. But I hope to start a thread on something quite fundamental on why we find ourselves going year after year with this hobby.

I have started R/C hobby less than 2 months and as usual, before I plunge into any hobby like golf, fishing or etc, I would ask myself these usual questions:

* What do I gain from this hobby ? (technically, spiritually and ...)
* Why do I like it and how can I substain the interest forever and ever without falling out of love with it ?

PLUSES (+):

The reason why I love R/C plane (at least for now) is
- I enjoy doing handicraft (woodcraft and building, as a kid, I like lego)
- I am trained in mechanical field (love engines).
- Classic warplanes, and aerobatic planes are too beautiful to look at.
- Seeing that experimental craft that I have built takes to the air. (Wright ?)
- It's a hobby that combines Handicraft (craftmanship), Mechanical Knowledge say aerodynamics, Electro-mechanical knowledge, creativity (color schemes to match with).

MINUSES (-):
- Too expensive. One careless mistake and I would say "bye bye" to the $800 plane.
- I will have to put up with the side effects of inhaling "glow fuel" exhaust (somehow).
- Bad for the eyes (if I let the UV rays harm my eyes staring in the sky).
- Can be frustrating buildling the kit at times, when the box has one missing part or more.
- Spend time arranging the plane of huge scale, rather than doing other housekeeping.
- Buying too many R/C magazines and reading the same pages over and over again and admiring the half-completed planes before bedtime.
- Wake up in the middle of the night thinking how to rearrange the servos to prevent hinge interference. And sketching my thoughts on paper.
- Talking to uninterested friends on what knife-edge is all about.

Having said that, I am not sure, how long can I substain this interest ? I mean I am crazy about R/C planes now, but I am not sure what about the future ?

Is it a hobby that you will really gain in any way (besides making you occupied and happy like any other sports)?

How many years are you in this hobby (and what keeps you going on and on with it ?)

If someone were to ask you why do you like R/C planes, can you convince them it's more than just child play as some may think.

Let's share your thoughts....

It's not a technical question but a reflection....

cheers..,,,
Old 12-24-2003, 09:39 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why do you like R/C Planes and do you think it's a good hobby to grow up with...

What does this have to do with ARFs? Shouldn't this be posted in the Clubhouse section?
Old 12-24-2003, 10:14 AM
iflircaircraft

Default RE: Why do you like R/C Planes and do you think it's a good hobby to grow up with...

perhaps you have your minuses and plusses reversed?

LOL....You forgot one important aspect of this great hobby.......getting together with a bunch of other flyers and discuss what you would be doing with all the spare time you would have if not for building and flying model aircraft!
Geez....Do we have to explain everything to these newbies????LMAO

Seriously though: This is a HOBBY....You can get involved in it as much or as little as you so desire!

Tom
Old 12-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Oregon Craig

I love the smell of glow exhaust. I'm not kidding.
Ever since I was a wee child, playing with Cox .049s and so on.
Still love that smell. Brings back memories. Even ARFs smell good.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Who says you have to like this hobby forever? Do it now while you like and enjoy it. If you don't like it any more in the future, quit doing it.
There are guys that get in and out of this hobby all the time.

I've been doing it for over 12 years now. I tried to give it up once because of some jerks at my local field (in another state), but I missed it too much, and I just found another place to fly.

Jim
Old 12-24-2003, 10:24 AM
crownvic

I have meet the nicest people in the world flying RC and playing golf and it is just fun!
Old 12-24-2003, 11:17 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Manfred is right, this has absolutely nothing to do with ARF's and really doesn't belong in this forum. But, since I'm here, I'll leave my thoughts.

First off, this hobby really isn't any more expensive than other hobbies. Take for instance fishing. It will cost you a minimum of $4000 to go out and buy a "basic" boat and engine, not including all of the other equipment you must have in order to fish, unless you plan on fishing from the shoreline. Duck hunting...gun, hundreds of decoys, several thousands of dollars to lease a "good" place to hunt, and numerous other expenses. Hunting in general... either you're going to pay out the yingyang for a guided hunt or you're going to have to spend a couple of grand a year to hunt leased land. Golf... it is and endless in expenses, resulting in a very expensive hobby. Watching sports... I'd rather be outside, hot or cold weather, rather than inside watching TV.

Sure, R/C isn't for everybody, and some of the above mentioned isn't either. For me, it is something that has always fascinated me. I have many friends that don't give two hoots about it but I do have other things in common with them. I have made tons of friends being associated with this hobby, and 99.9% of all the people I have met through the hobby are really good people. I have tried out all of the above mentioned hobbies, and from time to time I actualy participate in them, but R/C is my passion. There are some very minor downfalls to R/C, but there are going to be downfalls to all hobbies.

To each man, or woman, their own. R/C is a great hobby for young and old.

John
Old 12-24-2003, 12:56 PM
cde0214

Born to Fly,

I'm also new to the hobby, and man I'm glad i didn't talk to you before hand. I would have never bought a plane!! IMO a hobby should be something you enjoy, and should be somewhat relaxing. It seems to me you've over-analized this hobby, relax and have fun, thats what its all about. Besides who cares if your friends know what a knife edge is, either you will meet new friends who do, or your friends will see how much you enjoy flying and take interest in it as well. BTW you don't have to crash an $800.00 plane, start with somethin less expensive and save the $800.00 plane for when your sure you will enjoy the hobby for a while!!!!

PS: Buy some quality sunglasses, tylenol pm, time management software, and stand upwind from your plane; see I've solved all of your dilemmas, know you can enjoy the hobby for years!!!!
Old 12-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Varad

yeah really almost every hobby is expensive. Golf, fishing, hunting, restoring/modifying real cars, etc.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:23 AM
Flydenfeld

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

What does this have to do with ARFs? Shouldn't this be posted in the Clubhouse section?
Who cares? It's not like he's asking what are the best tools for KIT building in the ARF section. Just sparking a slightly different and interesting topic.

Anyway, to me the beauty of flight is fascinating and amazing to watch, let alone actually control it! That combined with being able to do it in a cool plane you find neat looking is a big plus. Oh, and i like chasing birds. j/k. well, mebbe not.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:35 AM
propnut 127

Well,

I think I'll take a stab at this one. I have tried many different passtimes. I did a little car restoring, fishing, motorcycling, etc. I have also done RC cars, boats and planes (twice). All were ok and I enjoyed them. I did not stick with them because they are just hobbies. Something to enjoy. When I stop enjoying them I stop that and do something else. When a hobby stops being fun you should stop it and do something else.
I have friends that wonder about me because I don't stick with a hobby forever. It is a part of my life that I can change at will and does not need to be constant forever.
I am totally committed to my wife and children and will not change that. I am a Christian forever and that will not change. I will pay on my home until I pay it off or die trying. But my hobbies are just for fun. If I decide next month to stop flying RC and do something else I will because it is just a hobby.
This is my second time around with RC airplanes. About 4 years ago I got into the sport for 18 months and crashed 15 planes trying stuff I (obviously) could not do. I got out and did motorcycles for a while then I tried RC cars. But no other hobby holds my interest like RC airplanes.
I like being able to use something I actually worked on. I have built models but being able to actually use the model to fly with is intoxicating to me.

I hope this helps!
Daryl
Old 12-25-2003, 12:46 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

I started aircraft modeling when I was 9 years old. I'm now 79 - you do the math. I've tried other hobbies, hunting, fishing, model railroading, model cars, sailing full scale yachts and photography to name a few. During all this I never quit model airplanes. Indulged in two hobbies at once. Gave up the secondary hobbies in favor of airplanes every time. I'll be doing this until they pat me in the face with a spade. Model aicraft have never bored me because it's part of real aviation. One other hobby was as a full scale pilot. Age finally caught up with that a few years back. It was part of aviation and I always built models in parallel with full scale airplane driving. The only thing that equals a full moon above a solid overcast at 20,000 feet is the first flight of a model that I built myself. Most of my extra hobbies, mentioned above, didn't tie me to them so they were easy to discard. I can't imagine it but if I ever get tired of miniature aircraft I'll quit that. You may never be dedicated to it as I am so you can quit any time. You will be richer in spirit if you give it an honest effort.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:48 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Born to Fly,
Don't analyze it so much and just enjoy the hobby. All your introspection could suck the fun right out of it.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:33 PM
huggins

quote]ORIGINAL: Born to Fly

* Why do I like it and how can I sustain the interest forever and ever without falling out of love with it ?

[/quote]

First off, you do not have to sustain it forever. Lots of modelers, myself included, have taken a "break!" and have come back to it again. In my case it was 20 years. However, if all you do is learn to fly and do general sport aerobatics, one could easily become bored. If you feel yourself getting a little bored, then it is time to broaden your modeling vision a little. Pick a maneuver that you have never tried or are not able to do well and set a goal to learn it. Learn to become proficient with the use of the rudder! Maybe you could try kit (or scratch) building if you have not done that. Give small electrics a try. Give big gassers a try. What about scale modeling? Enter a contest. Maybe you could dive into combat flying. My point is, there are lots of different aspects of the hobby to keep your interest for a long time. All you have to do is look around and set a goal (realistic) and go for it. If you feel like giving it up for awhile....thats fine too. As for myself, I have been pursuing serious aerobatics and 3D flying and will continue for some time. However, my next project will be a WWI biplane....a little different for me.

HAVE FUN!
Old 12-25-2003, 05:56 PM
iowanspctr

I only tend to get bored with things when I get good at them. Watching the other guys fly, I think I'll stay interested a long time! I think it'll be at least the rest of my life before I get GOOD at this.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:33 PM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

Well for me it was something I always wanted to do, but did not thave the financial backing. It is a great place for fellowship with other people in the hobby and everyone seems to have the same goal; Get better and crash less! The challenge is endless, because I am someone who gets bored quick too. Now all it takes is flying different types of planes and feeling out their characteristics. From short tail moments to long ones, from trainers to twin engines, from ducted fans to turbines and from planes to helicopters, the challenge is always there to grow. It mainly depends on a couple of things, your desire for it, your pocketbook and your skill, which seem to be related when one or the other is lacking. Anyway, I am here to stay for awhile and I hope the rest of you are too!

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good flight!
Old 12-25-2003, 06:40 PM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

Because everything about it puts a big smile on face. To me that reason enough.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:54 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

1) I have always been fascinated with aircraft.
2) I enjoy working with my hands.
3) I like the challenge of building a kit or, if time is short, assembling an ARF. (I'm also looking forward to designing and scratch building in the future.)
4) I enjoyed the challenge of learning to control an RC airplane, and now enjoy flying a little better every time out.
5) I like the fact that there are so many different aspects to pursue. Electric, glow, gas, I'm interested in each.
6) I've learned a bit more about electronics, about the way small engines operate, and a lot about aerodynamics.
7) I really enjoy the people I've met in the hobby. Here at RCU AND at club fields and area events.
8) I enjoy helping other people with the hobby, newbies, and fellow flyers.
9) I really appreciate the quiet time that comes with building, and those times when I'm at the field flying by myself.

Dennis-
Old 12-26-2003, 08:15 PM
tunnelvishon

I enjoy airplane modelling/flying because you can make it an experience thats just between you and your handcraft (if you choose). If you get it all wrong, with a loud thud your plane will let you know it...not your wife or teacher or kids ect...
Old 12-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi,

I started this hobby many years ago when I saw a model plane apparently flying by itself in a field. I went over and found it was controller “remotely” by a transmitter. It was magic and just had to find out how it was done.

I started the hobby with an old “reed” radio and then graduated to proportional with in a couple of months.

This hobby taught me many skills and some of the most important are:
1. The different types of glues and where to use them.
2. How to solder electrical connections.
3. How to solder wire.
4. The proper use of different building materials.
5. How to use standard tools, electric tools, and make special tools as needed.
6. Understand model engine operation.
7. Understand carburetors and fuel adjustment.
8. Understand how pitch and diameter affect flight and engine performance.
9. Hand to Eye co-ordination.
10. Aerodynamics, center of gravity and control surface affect on flight.
11. How to paint properly.
12. How to use covering materials.
13. How to properly describe problems and repairs in writing and by phone.
14. How to use the internet to problem solve and shop.
15. How to take instructions and advise from others.
16. To keep my mind open and accept new technology.
17. The satisfaction in helping others to learn.
18. Humility after a “showing off” crash.

On top of this is the satisfaction of getting a stubborn engine to work, a crashed plane to fly again, and the calming affect after a rough day.

The one thing I found is that aircraft modelers, above all other people I have worked with, are willing to help and share their special techniques with anyone who asks for help.

My career was doing support for mechanical and electrical equipment around the world, starting with tube type computers, in the latter years I worked with modern aircraft and lasers. The things I learned in this hobby always assisted me to get the job done by being able to use alternate and creative methods, especially when stock parts were not available in foreign countries.

I’ve retired now, but this hobby still keeps me learning (I’m now starting electrics) and the fellow modelers super people.

As soon as my grandchildren are old enough, I’ll start them into the hobby.

For the younger people starting this hobby, I hope you get as much out of it as I have, and will pass it on to others.

Wayne Miller
Old 12-26-2003, 10:05 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

My advise is to visit the local flying fields and meet with their instructors. Try to arrange an intro flight on one of the clubs traniner's. It will give you an idea of what r/c flying is all about. The hobby can be as excessive as you allow it to be. It truly is a hobby you can grow with. I've been in it for over 40 yrs and still love it.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:43 PM
OSilfa

All that yours can say is part of the hobby but the best for me is that i forget the time,the compromises, the other work.
You can live in other way just in the heaven!!!

I love RC, enjoy it

Other think,it the most complete hobby of all hobby, what you can learn in this hobby no one can give you.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:25 PM
Jim Messer

I'm a lot like Ballgunner. Started with rubber models in 1937, then Free flight, U-control, and R/C in the early fifties with a single channel radio purchased from Germany. I absolutely LOVE this hobby, and have been a member of AMA for 62 consecutive years. I had a very successful modeling business that sold worldwide, and made enough money to retire early. I design ALL my own models and that keeps my mind busy. Flying those models keeps my hand-eye coordination from deteriorating. Look at the thousands of nice people that I have met as a result of being in this hobby. I have also been a member of the Southern Tier Aero Radio Society (STARS) for 62 consecutive years. My brother, Bill, has enjoyed this hobby right along with me, although he only has 61 consecutive years to his credit. Unless I die before him, he will never catch up. My wife and I are 52 years married, and we raised nine children, six girls, and three boys. We put eight of them through 4 years of college. The boys earned most of their tuition monies by making 1/4 scale model airplane kits in our basement. My oldest son, Dick, won first place at the 1971 Nats, and first place in 1972 at the Canadian Nats. Both he and Mark are now full scale pilots, and their interest started with models. Dick has a full scale 200 HP Vans RV-6A nearly completed.

YES! This is a great hobby, and I will be a part of it as long as I am able. When I get too old to fly, then I will just build. Really though, the hobby keeps me young. When I'm at the field, I feel like I'm only 18, and that's not all bad!
Old 12-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Born to Fly

Jim,

I am truly inspired by what you said. I really hope that I could be like you, spending many years dedicated to this hobby and even starting a business out of it. I live on a tiny island, with a tiny air space to play my tiny R/C plane, where we need to take queue to have our planes take off........but definitely I won't call it quit...
Old 12-30-2003, 01:25 PM
iflynething

Sorry about the bad post.........SORRY.....just had to edit it.......realized how mean I sounded.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.