Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Fatality ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 06:23 AM
Shari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Fatality ???

I am really glad to hear your rememberances of your loved ones that have passed. And you are right, death can not sever those bonds. The story about the lost key is amazing. I do believe that our loved ones are really not very far away, but just beyond us. The men from my dad's modeling club were wonderful to my stepmom fromthe moment it happened and they all came to the funeral. I can see fromthe people on this message board that you are a special bunch. Thanks for helping me. Shari Wallace
Old 09-12-2003, 06:02 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shari,
I'm not really sure what to say, other than I inderstand your grief. I too lost my Dad a couple of years ago. Though not a modeler, he'd always been an active guy, loved by many, and he touched a lot of folks in his life.

It's obvious that your father, like mine, enjoyed his life, his family and his friends; that he lived his life happily made his passing easier for me.

You are welcome here, and as you are beginning to discover, this hobby is filled with genuine, supportive folks.

My best to you and your's,
Dennis-
Old 09-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Bill L

SHARI, I'm Sorry you are going through this grief! I read about your father's death in the Model Aircraft magazine, in the President's letter, I think. At the time I read it I thought, "He was following all the rules. He was probably a good example to his other club members, and will be greatly missed." I guess he is missed, through you, from coast to coast.
Dad is usually the "tough" one in the family; always there, healthy, strong, skilled. Then when he is suddenly not there, Boy does it hurt!
God Bless you and yours with comfort.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:01 PM
Sincraft

I just found out about this for the first time reading this.
Many times with accident victims, loved ones wonder if things would be different if..

Don't. He died doing something he loved. And he would NOT want you to be sad, but to enjoy life on an everyday basis if possible.

Smile! He's happy right now. He wants you to be also. SMILE!,...DO IT NOW! Clear your head of bad thoughts, and only think of the good. Oh, and SMILE!

S
Old 09-15-2003, 08:05 AM
Shari

Thanks to all of you! I do try to smile....and most days I accomplish it pretty well. Grief is an arduous process and there is no short cut unfortunately. I have learned that one just has to feel the way they feel until they don't feel that way anymore! My dad loved life and I try to emulate him and be the same way. There is always something to smile about! You guys are the best!
Old 09-15-2003, 08:11 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Shari,
It can't be any easier with the Browns, Indians and Cavaliers ALL sucking at once!
Old 09-15-2003, 08:16 AM
Shari

Sadly, you are correct! It's really a detriment to healing! LOL. The nerve of all our teams to all be doing so poorly at once! I can live without reading about the Browns, but I'm a die hard Indians fan, no matter how well they're doing!
Old 09-15-2003, 02:53 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome Shari

Just last week, my Father was in ICU going through heart surgery. Having a loved one "Hang on" is a harrowing experience. Especially when they are 2000 miles away.

Your among friends, people who enjoyed what he enjoyed, people who understand the love of RC airplanes, and that understand that there are risks to whatever actions we partake in.

I know I use my hobby and the forums to get away by talking airplanes, argue over petty issues such as the RCU format, joke, and take my mind off of others issues that will require me to be strong and have a level head.

However, my faith is strong, and it always feels like my father is with me, even when he's so far away, and it may be possible that I may never see him agian.

Best regards,

Scott
Old 09-15-2003, 04:30 PM
Shari

My thoughts go out to you as you wait to hear how your father is. Thanks for your kind words. Shari Wallace
Old 09-16-2003, 10:48 AM
Abraxxas

[sm=crying.gif]

Shari

This is the first I've seen of this post about your father and offer my sincere condolences to you and your family, he sounded like a wonderful man from what I've read about him on here. I know your pain, I had to walk away from my computer while reading some of the posts about your father as I just lost mine last summer at the age of 52 from cancer caused by a medication he was on for his kidney transplant he had 8 years prior to his death. He was my best friend, flying/building partner in RC too. I work at a car dealership 200 yards accross the highway from the airport he flew out of (he was the Chief pilot for Sentry Insurance for 23 years) and the runway is lined up with my body shop so every time I hear the Sentry jets coming in overhead the guys in the shop used to say "Sounds like Pah needs a new muffler on that thing!!" Now there is just a quiet silence in the shop, then they start to work again. I saw another post of yours on a different thread about seeing him in your dreams, I too have had that happen numerous times in the year since he passed. Since he passed my little brother (22, but little bro to me) wanted me to teach him how to fly and is doing great so I have a new partner at the field now, but it is still hard. Keep your head up and know they are somewhere better, where the flying weather is always good We will all be back together soon enough, life is short, we mourn the losses of our loved ones but they are home now and waiting for us. Reading about your father really hit deep with me... I feel for and with you. My e-mail is in my profile if ever you feel the need. With a tear in my eye I send {{{{HUGZ}}}} to you.

Brian
Old 09-16-2003, 01:02 PM
Shari

Brian, I 've got tears in my own now, reading about your wonderful father and your relationship. My sincere condolences to out to you.
I think part of it is that they died so young. You never really consider the fact that you could lose a parent at such a young age, at least I didn't. I always pictured me taking care of my dad when he was elderly. For the first time, today, I watched some old videos of us together. I haven't been able to do that until today. I think this board has helped me in that way. Thanks to all of you and thank you Brian for your kind words. Sincerely, Shari Wallace
Old 09-16-2003, 02:53 PM
Abraxxas

Many thanks to you as well, Shari. I think you're right on with the losing them so soon, I too expected to see him grow old and be a grandfather to my kids some day. I havent watched any of our videos yet, so many of them too. One step at a time, glad to hear all the great people on here are helping you as much as they are. Thanks again to you as well Shari for being one of those people.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Shari

Brian,
Thank you. When I first started searching around, I was actually looking for copies of the newspaper article regarding my dad's death because I only have two copies and I have four kids, so wanted to find one to print so they will all have a copy forever. When I put in my Dad's name in the search, this site came up and that's how I got here. I am glad I found this particular forum before I found the others on RC Universe where he is mentioned because there was a thread that was very painful to read. Lots of morbid curiosity about my father's bodily damage and lots of cruel words talking about his family's lawsuit and how mad they all were that the family was suing....they were really nasty and sarcastic and it hurt even more because not once has anyone in my family even discussed a lawsuit. So I'm glad I found you all first! Sincerely, Shari
Old 09-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Sincraft

Shari,
Don't listen to the fools on the net. People are always quick with their mouths on the net because they know noone is going to reach out and punch them. Worse, for many it is the only means by which people actually listen to them. And in today's age, it seems negativity gets noticed. Think about this...how many times does a company get 'thanks' for giving a customer what they thought they were buying. But OH MAN if something goes wrong, they catch the heck for it.

Just remember, many things should be ignored. Many people angry about lawsuits are rightfully so because there are WAY to many out there that have no justification. But mostly, I have found, because they are not benefiting from the onslaught of lawsuits that have seemingly sprung up in the past 10 years+. You do what you need to do, and take care of your own. Disregard the boobs of the world that have their heads up their ass and are so disconnected with the world and themselves that they don't probably even know that it is possible that there is a REAL person behind every story.

Good luck!

S
Old 09-16-2003, 10:49 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Gee Sincraft, that was really sweet of you.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Shari

Good Advice, S, and I will try and take it.
It's like pouring salt into a wound though. I appreciate your response.
Shari
Old 09-16-2003, 11:24 PM
Sincraft

Come on Basin, you know what I speak of. 99.9% of the people on HERE are GREAT people. An Oasis so to speak.

Shari I hope you understood my point hehe. Sometimes the written word is not as pronounced as the spoken. Like I said, you must learn to ignore the negative and focus on the positive! The more you do so, the easier it will come eventually.

S
Old 09-17-2003, 01:02 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Hi Shari. Welcome and God bless you. I hope your friends here at RCU have been a comfort. This is the first that I have heard of this, and it has reminded me of the passing of my Father. He, like yours, is sorely missed. My father was not involved in rc, but neither was I when he was alive. I am sure that he would have been supportive though, as he always was.

My Father has been gone now for over 15 years, and I still miss him terribly. I now have a wonderful family...wife,daughter, and son, that he never got to meet. It is sad that my kids will never know him. Pictures and stories dont quite tell the story of this man.

I think God led you here to us, so that we might be a comfort to you, and you to all of us. It serves to remind us of how precious life is, and how important our loved ones are.

scottrc...don't miss the opportunity to be there, and to tell your father bye when it's his time. No matter how far apart you are. I missed that chance with my father, and I can tell you, that is a hurt that will never go away. Take every chance you have, to tell those you love, that YOU DO!

Shari, you will be in my prayers.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:48 AM
Shari

Ok you guys, I'm tearing up already and it's not even 7 AM!
The loss of a parent is so incredibly hard. My condolences to each of you that have responded. I know especially what you mean about not being able to adequately describe to one's children what their grandfather was like. My youngest is only five, but she still cries about losing "PoPo". My three boys are 12, 10 and 8. I talk about my dad a lot to them, but I can already tell that their memories are fading some which saddens me. But he will always be alive in my heart. Just yesterday I was telling all of them what a wonderful artist PoPo was. And reminiscing about how he helped them with projects at school. Thanks to all of you. Shari
Old 09-17-2003, 06:04 AM
Shari

Disregard the boobs of the world that have their heads up their ass and are so disconnected with the world and themselves that they don't probably even know that it is possible that there is a REAL person behind every story[/quote]

S, I read the above, grinned, read it again and then grinned again. You are so very right. And you put it oh so well!
Shari
Old 09-17-2003, 03:33 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Shari:
You have generated what is probably the most poignant string of articles I have ever read, anywhere. Great bunch of guys and gals in RC, huh? I have lived in many places in these great United States, and have universally found that if you want to meet the best single class of people you will ever ran across, find an RC flying field, drive in, and mingle with them. Your Dad knew this, and he was obviously one of the best of us. We all are so saddened by your loss that words alone can't express it. I think the very best thing you could do in memory of Him would be to steer your boys into the hobby. At least they would be with the best class of people on earth and your Father would have a big smile on his face.

We all welcome you to RCU and hope you find some support here that we can all use at times like this.

HUGS

Max Mahon
Old 10-07-2003, 01:02 AM
LeeL
My Feedback: (1)

Shari; I understand your grief and please know you and your family are in all of our prayers. I lost my dad in 1994 and still mourn the loss, although as the years pass things do get easier to bear. Take comfort that your dad was doing something that he loved. And that you have a lot of new friends that will be here if you ever need us. May God bless and give you comfort.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:11 AM
Shari

Max,
I thank you for responding. My oldest boy has inherited his grandfather's passion for planes, that's for sure. I know that my dad would absolutely love it if one or all of my boys decided to take up RC planes. You can imagine that I have reservations in that area, but would never stop my boys from doing something that they loved. My third son sleeps with a photo of my dad taped on the wall right by his bed....my dad is holding one of his airplanes.
I have been sharing with my step mom all the support you all have poured out, so she is benefitting from it as well. Thank you.
Shari
Old 10-07-2003, 06:13 AM
Shari

Thank you Lee. I do take comfort in the fact that he was doing something he really loved. The men in his flying club have been wonderful to us.
Shari