The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Magazines

Old 03-01-2003, 10:23 AM
Dragoone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RC Magazines

I currently get the Model Aviation magazine, but how many other magazine are out there for RC plane flyers ?
Old 03-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Bill L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RC Magazines

Jim, LOTS! The type of RC flying you are interested in dictates which magazine you will like best. Model Airplane News, and RC Modeler, seem to cater to the Big plane crowd with a smattering of other types. Back Yard Flyer, and Quiet Flyer cater to the electric plane crowd. There are International magazines, which feature Electric a lot, model jet magazines, Giant Scale magazines. soaring maagazines, helecopter magazines, and Rubber Powered plane magazines.
Take a look on this site, the AMA site, and other interesting Model Airplane sites, and you will get a lot if ideas regarding magazines.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:16 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RC Magazines

Model aviation magazines include SAM Speaks which is the voice of the Society of Antique Modelers.
You can contact the Secy/treasurer, Larry Clark - P.O. Bof 528 - Lucerne Valley, CA 92356. SAM Speaks is included with membership which is currently $25 per year. The mag puts out all kinds of information about antique models, rubber, gas, glow and RC. Ads cover almost all aspects of how modeling used to be. They also have a plans service. SAM Champs is held once a year and flyers come from all over the world.
There is also RC Report. I circulate magazines so don't have a current edition with the address. There is probably a website under RC Report.com
Old 03-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Red 5-inactve

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RC Magazines

as with most things, i try to keep my r/c hobby as low cost as possible. combining club dues, ama dues, fuel, epoxy and new planes get kind of expensive so i try to satisfy my craving for r/c info by sticking to free stuff like reading ama's model aviation (of course, in the one-day membership i've had with rcairport i've found so much more info than in 24 issues of that magazine). so, with that, i feel that there is something lacking in ama's publication. i find myself just looking at pictures, reading ads, and very seldom reading the articles. i'm not really into reading about how John "the goose" Doe, of Minnetonka Minnesota, a fifth generation r/c flyer, won his 14th international title as supreme pattern flyer at the Nigerian international competition. i really think that the official publication of the ama should feature much more information for the everyday hobbyist, and especially new-comers to the sport. does anyone else feel the same way, or am i just a jerk with a bad attitude about celebritydom in r/c modeling?
Old 03-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Roodester

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RC Magazines

I'm with you Red 5, I've learned an aweful lot through this discussion forum.

as for AMA Model Aviation, I've had that feeling ever since I joined the AMA. Even wrote a letter to the editor about it seven year ago. There's a new series out now for beginners though, so give them credit for responding to the need of newbies. Read the article and it was wonderfully basic - looking at it from the eyes of a beginer it was just right.

Roodester
Old 03-03-2003, 09:10 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RC Magazines

Dragoone

The various publications serve various interests. I'm a sport modeler and like RCM (for its broad content) and Flying Models (for its content other than RC and its small RC articles). RC Report is heavy on scale, jets and RC combat. I subscribe now to MAN but will drop it - it has a lot of ARF and advertising. RC EXcellence is terrible, period. Some of the British mags are good but expensive.

IMHO

RCPAUL
Old 03-03-2003, 01:36 PM
Dragoone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RC Magazines

Thanks everyone for your information. I really apperciate it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2003, 02:10 PM
Red 5-inactve

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RC Magazines

regarding the AMA's beginner magazine. can you request that instead of "model aviation" or do you have to pay for a separate subscription?
Old 03-03-2003, 02:34 PM
Bill L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RC Magazines

the AMA beginner series is a new series of articles in the Model Aviation magazine, not a separate publication.
It probably will take several years to complete the series, if it is ever "complete".[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]