The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

THRUST

Old 03-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Bill L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default THRUST

How do YOU measure thrust? Is it something you even care about? How important is it? How do you know how much Thrust you need for a specific model?
I have a device that will measure it in an electric motor by itself, or on the plane. (It cost me nothing since I already had a 5 pound digital scale and scrap wood and metal) Then I do not know what to do with the information. I have a strong feeling it should relate well to wing loading. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2003, 12:51 PM
00hex

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default THRUST

Actually it's thrust over weight that's important. If you have more thrust than weight the plane will go straight up as far as you can see, hover, etc.
I never bother with measuring thrust. For glow planes you can pretty much just stick the recommended prop on at first and it will fly well. Then you can start messing with it, going for more speed or thrust.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:25 PM
Bill L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default THRUST

I suspected that[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I probably should have posted this on the Electrics thread. Hang in there! (Oh my that's thrust)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]