Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

B17 on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 10:05 AM
jchumley
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B17 on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=19164

10.5' wing span
38 lbs
4 OS .46 engines

Seems like a total of 1.84 Cubic Inches would barely taxi this thing. Maybe 4 Zenoah G-26s. What do you think. What engines would you put on it?

I am not interested in buying it! Just curious.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:18 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: B17 on eBay

I find it interesting that anyone would bid $4000 on a plane by a buyer with absolutely no feedback. Can you say "beware!"
Old 01-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Cactus.

it's not one of the moulds taken from Memphis Belle, we've got some in the UK and those are truly huge planes!!
ah, scroll along it's not for that film anyway.
2.2k, wow
Old 01-19-2004, 04:27 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

fixed gear too
Old 01-19-2004, 04:28 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

I find it interesting that anyone would bid $4000 on a plane by a buyer with absolutely no feedback. Can you say "beware!"
Very likely, whomever does bid will arrange to visit and pick it up in person anyway.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw the posts about this model....would be an interesting purchase but.....

I find it "hard to believe" that 6 servos would be sufficient to adequately control this size/complexity of plane.....but maybe I missed something? Would the engines be sufficient to really power this size of a plane? And a single piece wing......????

Hey phillybaby...

You're right about it not being one of the Memphis Belle moulds......I know because I have the last one hanging up in my garage (got it from a bloke in the U.K..) and the fuse alone is 12 feet long!

Bill
Old 01-20-2004, 09:27 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont think it could be completely controlled by 6 servos, but a few of the Westcraft 10' B-17 have shown up over the years at Bomber Field with .46's, and. The "ready-to-fly" B-17 bombers that they raffle, are usually powered with .46's.
The American Eagle B-17 is designed for .40-,50 class engines at 123" ws. http://www.flyrcmodels.com/b17.htm
Old 01-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Cactus.

notice the add said taxi only... you thinking what im thinking...
Old 01-20-2004, 02:35 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Has anyone ever heard of the builder Nick Edwards? I work in Special Effects and have never heard of him but that doesn't mean much. However, the fact that Google seems to have never heard of him means a whole lot more.

The plane is in Hollywood? Very few people who work in Hollywood actually live in Hollywood. That one smells a little fishy.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:33 PM
Cactus.

Heres the text so we're all singing from the same sheet

This is a one-of-a-kind massive 1/10 scale flying R/C model made for a motion picture. The plane has 6 servos and a wing span of 10.5 feet. It was initially built for "Heaven's Little Rascals". The aircraft was never flown and was only shot against blue screen. It was taxi'd for a test run and purred beautifully. The plane is a custom model personally built by Nick Edwards of Nick Edward's Productions with 27 years experience in special effects. Please see included photographs. There are four .046 OS gas engines rated at 1.25 horsepower each.
You will be the king of your neighborhood and flying field with this one! There are 13 extreme scale 50 caliber guns on board, with copper jacketed bullet belts. The landing gear was designed with shocks to land in rough terrain with pneumatic aircraft tires. The wing disengages from the fuselage for safe transportation. The fuselage is constructed of fiberglass over a wood plug. The wings are foam with oak ply veneers. The entire plane is fiberglass coated for flying. The total construction time is 1000+ hours. Material investment cost is $5100.00+. There is a 6 channel HiTech radio control system included. This aircraft was designed to fly in competition as well as motion picture use.

The build was completed in 2001.

The plane weighs 38 pounds. The wing is a single construction wing and assembles in minutes. The control rods and fuel lines are set up for easy hook up. If you are looking for a large scale B17, this one is it! I have not seen another B17 of this scale. One may exist, but I guarantee this plane will give any competing large scale B17 a run for it's money.

The shipping cost is $650.00 and includes a custom built wood crate with foam inserts for safe transportation.

GOOD LUCK and HAPPY BIDDING!!

-- Nick Edwards
the guy him self seems to be selling it.
as for effects guys in hollywood, BB's spot on. i live 6 miles from the guy that makes armour for films like Joan of Arc, Batman and Robin ( Mr freeze ) Ailens etc right here in Cornwall
Old 01-21-2004, 09:47 AM
BaronSchwab

This is scary. 13 50Cal guns in that thing??? I'd be wary.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:12 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I e-mailed the seller and asked if I could come see the plane. He replied that I could as it was at a retail store in L.A. He also confirmed that he was the builder but there was only two hours left in the auction.

It seems he is legit. I just question who would bid that much on a model sight unseen but I guess it happens here as well.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:57 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It is a gimmick model (prop). He sounded honest in that it had never flown, and as modelers, know why with the power plants and radio arrangement. Probably trying to sell it to someone who has no knowledge of RC, collects movie props, and loves aviation.