Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Rules are Rules

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 12:11 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rules are Rules

*We have a city owned field, real nice. A cuple years ago we revised the flying rules with 7 basic do's and don'ts. They were submitted through channels, approved and nice signs were installed.
* One of these rules is do not fly or perform aerobatics over the runway at any altitude.unless taking off, landing or passing through in the direction of the pattern.
* Yesterday a trainer took out a nice big "Staudacher" The Imacc plane was doing his thing right over the runway when a trainer came poking along the "right" way and kaboom kabang. Imacc plane went in and the trainer was able to land (took out the gear)
*So to add this up, the trainer suffered the cost of replacing its gear $10? The Staudacher was about $1500 into the trash can.
I remember when i was in the Army. We had this monthly news letter called "Flight Facts." It listed what incidents and accidents happened to helicopters each month.
* Along with the description of the accident, gave the rank and years flying of each pilot and co-pilot and whether or not it was mechanical or pilot error. In most cases, the experienced pilot was at the controls when it happened . Another analysis which came up was that less experienced pilots were paying more attention to what was going on while the veterans were saying, "hey I'm good and don't make mistakes"!
Old 05-26-2002, 01:12 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rules are Rules

Does your field also have a "no passes over the runway" rule? Or a "fly in one direction" or a "must use hold downs for starting"? How about a "no flying before 10 AM"? We have all those rules and an army of 60 year old men yelling to back them up. Tends to suck the fun right out of this hobby at times. I just wanted to see if that was my club's rules, or if this is the AMA standard.
Old 05-26-2002, 04:15 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Rules are Rules

According to what I'm reading, the trainer was well within his right to make a pass, and the imac-plane that was "doing his thing" should have been doing it AWAY from the runway.

GiantScale pilots are very smart, I just don't get these stories of how they do these things without any hesitation, or regard to who's flying.

I'm definately not saying they're all like this, matter of fact, I think most are safest out there. But, there's ways to set up and coordinate practice flights with other pilots, it's called COMMUNICATION! If a Giant wants some air for practice or demo type flying,....just say so. Most everyone will share the air, ya know.
Old 05-26-2002, 05:34 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default Rules are Rules

we have those rules, no hanging or hovering over the patch, blah blah, if you want to hang or hover, your not going to do it over the other side of the field where its a tiny dot.
You get to know whos gonna hover with which plane, or going to continually fly up and down the patch so its pointless going out for a hang.
we fast pass over the patch which way we want, you just gotta know who your flying with. annoying when your doing sommit like this for 5 mins, then someone else wants to fly "right now" and moans your flying in their way.
If anyone calls taking off, landing or dead stick i'll move away, simple.
But if heading out to the patch with my Unlimited its pretty obvious what im gonna be doing for the next 5 mins, which is why i only bother if the sky is empty.
If your guy was hanging and noticed this trainer flying, he should have got out of there, like wise if the guy with a trainer cant see a big plane hanging right in front of him & cant decided that a pass right though him wouldnt be the best plan, then maybe flying isnt for him. ( humorus joke btw )
Like DGrant said, you share the air
tho try telling Propnut at our club that, he'll touch and go and dont care if your on a pass, or landing, walking on the patch or what. for some reason ( hehehehe ) now when he flys, the correx deltas go out and do low passes. one day
Old 05-26-2002, 07:34 PM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

Default Rules are Rules

I was one of the original founders of the local club here, I served as treasurer a couple yrs, saftey officer a couple yrs, vice president a couple yrs and president for 3 yrs and was also a CD during that time. Their were only about 20 Active flying members at any one time but there was still so much arguing and fighting about the way were gonna do this or that, I just got tired of it and got out. It's supposed to be fun but there have to be rules. I got so tired of it that I even got out of flying altogether for a few yrs. Well, I'm back in full swing again and I want to thank you guys on this web site for helping me remember the past. I was thinking of rejoining the club for a little more socializing and fun but I have been brought to my senses. Thank You, Thank you, Thank You!
Old 05-26-2002, 09:44 PM
Nuker

Default Rules are Rules

Rules? If you are talking about safety rules, why would someone ignore those?

Pilots have to think back what it was like when learning and hearing originally why certain safety rules were in place. Is it wise to now ignore those rules... because???? It's true we share the skies and as long as there is safety and courtesy from ALL parties, things can work out.

The pilots who "know better" and "don't need safety rules" perhaps are safest to fly alone. This is not a slam as there is nothing wrong with that I guess, merely an opinion.

Nuker
Old 05-26-2002, 11:44 PM
Tattoo

Default Rules are Rules

Rule #1--Never put more into this hobby than you are willing to lose.

Rule #2--If you fly, you will crash

Rule #3--Mid-airs happen

Rule #4--If a pile of parts in the dirt uspets you, and you have to go looking for blame, and have to make up a bunch of rules beyond the safety code, and argue over them...then it appears rule #1 has been violated.

The two pilots should have shook hands and accepted the fact that it's all part of the hobby.
Old 05-27-2002, 02:01 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rules are Rules

---You are correct, sir.
Old 05-27-2002, 02:29 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Rules are Rules

We have a 4 fliers only rule but what I have found is that some people don't respect the rules. 4 fliers in a race track pattern is OK but not when people get tired of the race track pattern and want to "do there own thing".

More than once, I have had to do violent maneuvers just to keep from hitting someone. Believe it or not, it was the first time I did a wall was when someone was landing opposite of the pattern and I didn't see them until someone yelled look out. Full up elevator, throttle, and staying on the rudder was an experience!
Old 05-28-2002, 01:21 PM
ReallyUglyStick
My Feedback: (5)

Default Rules are Rules

i don't like to fly with more than a couple other people in the air. i've got a funfly type, that i use to do most everything right over the runway, or just the other side of it. i've also got my highspeed pass plane that doesn't do much else. our club isn't too large, and the # of people at the field is usually small. i know most of the pilots and their styles, so i know who is ok with what. it seems that this is the norm at our club...pilots with like aircraft doing like things. we have the occasional high$ planes, and generally we'll let that person do their thing alone (they don't fly too often). it's usually a pleasure to watch a monster bird scream down the runway.
even though i'll do marathon touch and goes i'll usually stay in the prevailing pattern, and always with the consent/knowledge of the other pilots flying. i guess my flying habits are why i don't like too many folks in the air at once. it's easier to have problems with five planes eating up sky than it is with just 2 or 3.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:47 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned

Default Rules are Rules

Personally I believe that everyone at our field , with the exception of me possibly, does fly pretty safe. At least by my standards they are very safe. They all take off and climb so high that 1.) they get a crick in the neck 2.) Can't really see what the airplane is doing 3.) completely out of my flight pattern.
I enjoy taking off and staying approximately 50 feet from the ground, while doing the race track pattern. I love touch and go's as well as high speed fly bys.
I understand how mid air collisions happen but they all just have to be accidental right? Has anyone actually tried to hit another aircraft in the air? How about a bird? I have tried both and have yet to suceed in any mid airs. Boy oh boy I can't wait for it to happen to me..
Old 05-28-2002, 07:33 PM
Cactus.

Default Rules are Rules

reminds me of the time 3 of us went down to a local club that fly from an old airbase, we did low beat ups down the taxiway ( full size one and our runway ) but turned back early because there was full size glider towing going on. we aint stupid lol
we got moaned at for flying in the wrong place, then one old guy procedes to start his plane by the cars the other side from the pits, and launches from the cars over the pits and towards the glider towing. he was there all flight ( lose term for what he was doing ) untill he crashed right next to another car, nothing was said to him. but we got moaned at all day. we aint going back. our friend that invited us used all his vistor limit to let us there that day. yes, a very stuck up club.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:08 AM
Tattoo

Default Rules are Rules

have yet to suceed in any mid airs. Boy oh boy I can't wait for it to happen to me..
Gastronom, please visit http://www.rccombat.com/rcca.asp
Failure to do so will result in the above quote remaining true. If you dare enter the wild world of R/C combat...the above quote will vanish almost immediately, and you will be addicted to the most exciting R/C activity you could ever imagine. Never intentional...but mid-airs are part of the sport.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:42 PM
Blackie

Default Rules are Rules

I have a suggestion in one word that will help in most cases like these.

"Spotter"

Randy
Old 05-29-2002, 12:47 PM
Cactus.

Default Rules are Rules

which breaks our rule, your not allowed on flightline unless your flying or launching. but we sometimes break that to stand with a friend and his quickie, coz it looks quicker out there going 6' pass your nose
Old 05-29-2002, 12:49 PM
can773

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rules are Rules

Originally posted by Tattoo

Uh oohhhhhhh, my bad :bananahea
Old 05-29-2002, 01:01 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Default Rules are Rules

which breaks our rule, your not allowed on flightline unless your flying or launching
Another stupid rule IMHO.

We don't require spotters at our club but, we do encourage them. At public events we do require them.

I've been to clubs where everyone is required to fly the racetrack pattern. No thanks, if I wanted to fly around in circles I'd still be in U control.

I'm in a fairly active club with some good flyers. We mix helis, Funfly, 3D, saiplanes etc. with up to 4 flyers (6 for combat) in the air at once. I can count the number of midairs in the last half dozen years (combat excepted) on the fingers of one hand. All occurred when there was no spotter. None that I can remember involved helis, 3D or Funflyers.

I mention the 3D, heli and Funflyers specifically because they all seem to enjoy the same flight envelope. In close, rapid direction changes and over the strip. They co-exist well because the pilots know when to clear out and are courteous in sharing "center stage".
Old 05-29-2002, 02:30 PM
Unstable

Default Rules are Rules

Rule #4--If a pile of parts in the dirt uspets you, and you have to go looking for blame, and have to make up a bunch of rules beyond the safety code, and argue over them...then it appears rule #1 has been violated.

The two pilots should have shook hands and accepted the fact that it's all part of the hobby.
so if I call a deadstick and someone decides that that is the perfect time to take off against pattern and "runs over" my plane thats all fine and dandy?

the point is there was a rule in place and someone violated it. it led to the damage of two aircraft. it doesnt matter why the rule was made it was made.

just a note I dont mind hovering or 3D stuff (i enjoy doing it myself with my "pizza box") but if someone is coming in or going out even if im not above the "landing area" on our field I climb out to altitude and let them go *immediatly*
Old 05-29-2002, 02:44 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Default Rules are Rules

Originally posted by Unstable

so if I call a deadstick and someone decides that that is the perfect time to take off against pattern and "runs over" my plane thats all fine and dandy?
Nope but, if you call deadstick quiet enough that he didn't hear you and he called something akin to "taking off to the North" I wouldn't hold him responsible (seen it happen).

And, to hovering, as I mentioned, it's courtesy that works. Even the "racetrack" guys like to make "practice approaches" occasionally....
Old 05-29-2002, 03:03 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rules are Rules

If you must hover, and for some reason do not like helicopters, do it on the other side of the runway. I would rather see a rubber band powered straw doing a low fast pass over the centerline than watch the most scaled out whatever pretending to be a heli. But then it's all about scale for me. Seen lot's of full-scale aerobatics. Never seen one hovering attempting to drag a tail. Rules are good. A good set of them answers any possible questions. But when they are excessive and seem to be conjured up to prevent enjoyment or induce bordom, then they should be looked at. Without rules and regs., we would'nt have the hobby.
And, fly your airplane like an airplane, dangit!
Old 05-29-2002, 03:08 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned

Default Rules are Rules

Gastronom, please visit http://www.rccombat.com/rcca.asp
Failure to do so will result in the above quote remaining true. If you dare enter the wild world of R/C combat...the above quote will vanish almost immediately, and you will be addicted to the most exciting R/C activity you could ever imagine. Never intentional...but mid-airs are part of the sport.
We have a dwendling stock of pilots that wil take any risk including but not limited to flying. Aww can't I find somebody to play with?? Maybe I should just move to another state to find 'my style' of fliers?? Hmmm I wonder..
Old 05-29-2002, 03:57 PM
Unstable

Default Rules are Rules

Originally posted by SDCrashmaster

what if I fly my airplane like a pizza box instead?

and no i dont go out there for the purpose of hovering... with the PBF (pizza box flyer) its just something you do and I tend to do it wereever I seem to be.. high, low, close, far, whatever.

I tend to not fly it when people that fly lower altitudes are up though because most of it is low level stuff (ever do a split S while under 15 feet?) so I dont want to get in anybody's way.

I wait until the trainers and pattern guys are up because they tend to keep higher altitudess
Old 05-29-2002, 04:03 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Default Rules are Rules

Hey, I love scale too (check out my website), in fact I'm trying out for the Canadian team and hoping to compete in the Worlds in 2 months.

I also like hovering both fixed wing aircraft and helis....

To each their own. I'm not about to hover on the far side of the runway, too tough to see, you need a lot more visual cues to keep the balance right than you do to fly circuits round the briar patch, why don't you go fly out there? I'll be happy to clear out if you call "low pass" etc. I'll be even happier to share "centre-stage "with you to watch you perform some in-close maneuvers if you're up to it....

As for full scale 3d, I guess you haven't been to an airshow lately. The full size guys are just a bit behind us and that's mostly because because of power to weight ratios. Tailsides, Torque rolls, it's all 3D. Don't be surprised if you see a full scale pilot attempting a low hover at an airshow near you in the near future. The last one I was at, I watched a J3 cub side-slipping up and down the tarmac at 10ft AGL ending in a full slip landing (on one wheel!) at 90 degrees to the runway! Amazing! If he was doing circuits, I would have probably gone to the beer tent....
Old 05-29-2002, 04:12 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Default Rules are Rules

Originally posted by Gastronom

We have a dwendling stock of pilots that wil take any risk including but not limited to flying. Aww can't I find somebody to play with?? Maybe I should just move to another state to find 'my style' of fliers?? Hmmm I wonder..
C'mon up here Gastro, we have an inter-club combat league going. My callsign: 'Das Baron'
Old 05-29-2002, 05:12 PM
Unstable

Default Rules are Rules

Originally posted by Jim_McIntyre

The last one I was at, I watched a J3 cub side-slipping up and down the tarmac at 10ft AGL ending in a full slip landing (on one wheel!) at 90 degrees to the runway! Amazing! If he was doing circuits, I would have probably gone to the beer tent....
was it Roger Lehnert ?

Saw him a few times at the local airshow here in NJ and he is amazing in that Cub.

slips, stalls,flat turns, loops, truck top landing, etc etc etc all at almost ground level.

here is the site for the airshow and had a bit about him and some pics.

http://www.sussexairportinc.com/airshow.htm

( yeah yeah yeah i know its off topic....*slaps own wrist*)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.