Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

When someone else breaks your plane...

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

When someone else breaks your plane...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 06:41 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When someone else breaks your plane...

So i was showing off my plane and wowing my friends at a lake they liv near. They all ride snowmobiles and stopped to watch me do my stuff. Well on my FINAL landing for the day, i land it, get it on the ground safe and sound, and my friend decides to ride away on his sled, at the same time my plane was rolling to a stop. He snapped the wing at the root on the right side. He felt so bad though, he is offering to pay for a new one. I looked it up and a new is $96, so i think i will just go halves with him on it. i am sad cause i cant fly this weekend!!!

sean
Old 01-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Johnnylightning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: When someone else breaks your plane...

Well, now's your chance to live up to your name.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:45 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, that bites. People that don't know much about them often do that. I watch people like a hawk when they are around mine. The ones that tick me off are the ones that bring their kids into the pits and they jump around and throw things at each other over the planes. I usually tell them to go play on the other side of the cars. One almost knocked one of my big ones off the table. I didn't mind that as much as his dad knocking him to the ground. There is telling them to go play somewhere else, and then there is way over doing it.

Hope you get it fixed soon.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:03 AM
BaronSchwab

Is that your new Funtana?? Get it fixed soon!!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 09:41 AM
ifixairplanes

yeah it is my new funtana. I am going to go to the hobby shop today to see what a new wing would cost from them. Online at horizon hobby it is $96, but my LHS owner gives me a lot of deals. I love that place!

sean
Old 01-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Kaos Rulz

ifixairplanes - It's an ARF wing so it should be a fast resurrection of your plane with another ARF wing. Is the broken wing repairable? If so, try repairing it and use it as a back-up. [8D]
Old 01-22-2004, 11:53 AM
MustangFan

Get the $96.00 ... his fault not yours ... and he offered.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:45 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Hey, it was decent of him to offer.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:50 PM
MustangFan

Yes indeed it was ... shows character !
I wish more people would have that mind set.

Take the money offered ... fix the plane and enjoy ..... I'm sure the next time he will be more careful.
We learn from our mistakes (experience) ?
Old 01-22-2004, 12:52 PM
ifixairplanes

I am real good friends with him and it was a totall accident. I know he dosnt make much money, and the fact that he offered was good enough. I am only going to ask for halve, $48 isnt that much money. And yes the wing is repairable, I am going to go work on it now, time for the epoxy!! It broke right at the wing root from LE to TE, where it meets the "box" that is formed to look like the fuse bottom. Easy fix, there isnt much to these wings anyways so it wont be hard.

sean
Old 01-22-2004, 01:22 PM
BaronSchwab

Your right that there ant' much to these wings.

"Let's see how cheep we can make them."
Old 01-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

you should be able to buy a new wing for that price
Old 01-22-2004, 02:28 PM
ifixairplanes

new wing is suprisingly $96!!! I had a super sportster from great planes, the arf .40 size and a new wing was only 26.99!! i had three of the damn things! Why is the wing for the funtana so much? the plane is only 169.99. wierd.

sean
Old 01-22-2004, 03:03 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I know, I smashed the wing up on a Goldberg Tiger ARF. The whole kit with hardware was $149.99. Just the wing, they wanted 109.99. Guess they want to sell more kits than parts.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

They're expensive because they have to break up whole ARFs to get the parts, and they're not necessarily going to be able to sell all the rest of the parts to recover their investment. The wing as a separate part is probably what the entire plane cost wholesale, and they're most likely to sell more wings than anything.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Blackie

ORIGINAL: ifixairplanes

I am real good friends with him and it was a totall accident. I know he dosnt make much money, and the fact that he offered was good enough. I am only going to ask for halve, $48 isnt that much money. And yes the wing is repairable, I am going to go work on it now, time for the epoxy!! It broke right at the wing root from LE to TE, where it meets the "box" that is formed to look like the fuse bottom. Easy fix, there isnt much to these wings anyways so it wont be hard.

sean
Ifisairplanes, make sure you thin to light CA instead of epoxy no need to add extra weight if necessary.

Blackie
Old 01-23-2004, 09:59 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Default Accidents happen.......

Hey Sean,
Interesting thread and I'm sorry about your accident, it sucks to have to fix something when you really want to fly it. It's a funny thing about your accident tho. They happen to all of us. But it's more funny when you consider the thread in the AMA section here where you spout chapter and verse about not belonging to the AMA because you don't want to and don't need to or can't afford it. Because the guys you are flying with at the remote privately owned field have all agreed that if an accident happens, no one will hold the other accountable and therefore you don't need the insurance. And since the field is so remote, you don't get spectators. But now you are telling us that you are flying off a frozen lake WITH spectators around?? And I assume that there were probably houses around unless you drove out into the middle of the lake? And maybe some ice fishers? But we know that there were at least some snowmobilers around. And it's amazing how a difference of perhaps 20 seconds could have made the accident YOUR fault? What if it weren't your friend leaving after you had landed? What if it were other snowmobilers who heard the noise and were coming out to see, riding across the lake just as you were landing and rode right into your flight path??
And in the AMA thread you state that you can't afford (or don't want to afford) the club or AMA dues yet you have no problem asking someone who broke your plane to only pay half the cost to fix it because HE can't afford it?

More use of some really good judgement.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Ty

Default RE: Accidents happen.......

No need to attack him in here xp1083 besides he said that just the fact the guy offered to pay for it was enough and in my book that is quite an honerable thing for him to do. If you have a beef with the guy about something in the ama forum go over there and attack him, it's legal there.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:42 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Actually, Ty, some of XP8103's comments are relavent here...particularly in light of the other thread in the AMA column relative to not holding someone else responsible.

$96.00 just for the wing...that's nuts!
Old 01-23-2004, 11:28 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the fact about the AMA comments Sean made. His choice. If he flew into a $8,000.00 snowmobile and caused a large amount of damage, again, his problem. Not ours.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:08 PM
greenboot

Nik,
I'm glad you noticed the interesting paradox. Everyone learns from their lifes experiences and maybe Sean feels differently now. If so, it was a cheap lesson. I've made mistakes which were more expensive.

Tom
Old 01-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Johnnylightning

Yeah Ifix, and get some homeowner's insurance while you're at it!

The mere fact that you have the nerve to post such a trivial issue about your damaged, piddly R/C aircraft is an outrage!![:'(]

You should know better than that. Why, we'll dig-up all your dirt and then, we'll attack you from every angle because, unlike YOU, weeerrrre perfect!!!

So, you'd better watch it, because you're skating on thin ice here young man AND IT'S AFFECTING US ALL!!! You...you...OUTLAW, you!!!
Old 01-23-2004, 05:13 PM
greenboot

P-51B,
Could you please do something about your avitar? My AMA insurance won't cover a heart attack.

Tom
Old 01-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

Equal fault. Both vehicles were operating and under control.