Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Virgin Flight...clear the line please

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Virgin Flight...clear the line please

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 01:10 AM
Low Wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virgin Flight...clear the line please

Is it a bad thing to ask other flyers to stand down while you Virgin fly a new bird...I don't mind backing off while someone else does...Most new flight's don't last long (for me anyhow)...maybe 4 minute's and I bring her in to see if all is well and to rest my nerve's for a bit...
Old 01-22-2004, 01:45 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Virgin Flight...clear the line please

I don't think it's a problem, a couple things to remember are to give people some heads up that you'll want the field to yourself, and when you let them know that you're ready, don't waste any time getting in the air. That way you'll minimize the down time for everyone at the field.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:24 AM
Mike in DC

I'd find it a little annoying. I don't mean to be cold and unfriendly, but you did ask the question.

Personally, I prefer to fly with only my plane in the air too. So, if the electric guy can ask everybody to stop flying for him, and anyone with a new plane can do the same, and of course the jet guys don't even have to ask that you stop flying because you'd be crazy not to (same for the 40% hovering over the runway), and what about the guy with his rare pride and joy scale model? You see where I'm going here, that everybody wants to be the only plane in the sky, and I'm the only guy without a good excuse (flying my duct-taped SPAD), so yes, I might get a little annoyed if you insisted on having the field to yourself just because you have a new plane.

Why not find a time when there are few enough guys at the field that there is rarely more than one plane in the air?
Old 01-22-2004, 06:39 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

My question is "Why does one need to clear the field, have others stand down, for a new bird?"
I fly a lot of "new birds" and have never seen the need to ask others to stand down. The only time we "stand down" or are even ask to stand down around here is for a couple of our top pilots to sharpen there 3D skills for competition and now, (since we have been scolded), for full scales.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:47 AM
Kaos Rulz

I'll gladly yield the field to a maiden flight. I do so to allow me to watch out for my safety should something go amuck. After a successful first flight, I feel more comfortable that the plane was mechanically sound and will fly without being a safety hazard. Thinking about it - there are a couple of "so-called" experienced pilots that I always yield to whenever they fly for the same safety reasons.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:38 AM
danny03

At our club we really have not seen a need to stand down for a maiden flight, although I feel that out of courtesy most of our members would do one of three things.
1) let you have the field
2) fly to a higher altitude to give you space
3) if not able to do #2 then they would land and let you have the field
Old 01-22-2004, 08:48 AM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

You could always go when there are few people at the field, less to make fun of you too! Weekends are usually too busy if you have good weather. I find that mornings and early afternoons are the best time to do this kind of thing. Now me personally, I would stand down to allow a new bird go up, but that's just me. I have seen great successful flights and I have seen rudders, 1/2 elevators, ailerons, servos, canopies and wheels fall off on first flights. Good Luck!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:27 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would gladly give way for a maiden flight. If someone wanted the sky all to themselves for some other reason, I'd say "wait till no one's flying".

But a maiden is special.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:50 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't personally ask for people to clear when I test a new bird, but our field is not that busy usually.

When a new person test flies a new bird, I give them the air by themselves and so do all the other guys at the field. If the guy is fairly new and he is testing a new plane, I would rather watch and not be in the air with him.

No reason people can't land and let a new plane be test flown so the pilot can hear the engine and not have distractions. If they are self centered enough that they won't let you test fly without all the distractions of other planes buzzing around, wait till they leave and test fly then.

The test flight can be stressfull. There is no reason not to give the air to a new bird.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:51 AM
LenLee

If possible, I prefer to do my "maiden flights" when there aren't too many "witnesses". However, when there are others at the field, and they know this is a "first flight", they'll usually stand down anyway so they can help, watch, or run for cover...
Old 01-22-2004, 11:31 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I don't have a problem waiting to fly while someone tests a new bird, what's it take ten minutes tops? I like watching a new plane fly anyway.
Dennis-
Old 01-22-2004, 11:46 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I don't mind waiting. If a guy comes out on a busy day and asks, there probably would have been a better time to do it.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:50 AM
MustangFan

Not a problem ... most of our member let the new plane fly alone or make sure they are out of the way.
Just being courteous in most cases.

First flights are nerve testers ... who needs someone 3-D'ing in front of the runway or making fast low passes while the new model is trying to trim or find out if his engine has problems. Just courteous ... plus I don't want to miss seeing a crash !
Old 01-22-2004, 01:03 PM
hookedonrc

When I have a maiden flight I do not ask others to stand down. I leave it up to them. If they feel comfortable being there than I am OK with it too. However, by telling them it is a maiden flight I figure I have given them enough information in order to make a decision on their own. Usually they land and watch to see if I crash. I'm OK with that too.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:36 PM
H. Wayne S

Shucks, I was just reminded that when I get to the field everyone lands, packes up, evacuates the pits and drives down the road for saftey reasons, so I have the field to myself anyway. RIGHT ROGER ! Therefore- I have NO PROBLEMS having the field to myself.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:37 PM
kh6oo

Most people at my flight would rather land and watch a first flight anyways. Don't see any problem with the request. At least maybe asking them to stay clear of the feild. (I.E. Higher alt.)

Tom
Pearl Harbor HI
Old 01-22-2004, 01:45 PM
BaronSchwab

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

But a maiden is special.
You hit the cord. I fly with four planes in the air sometimes, sometimes they are all Pizazzs (really fun).
But the maiden I want to concentrate.

(btw Minn, great review on the 46%)
Old 01-22-2004, 02:00 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

This is another location specific topic. At our field it is incomprehensable that someone would ask everyone to wait for them. They'd have to come out on a weekday if they wanted less traffic for a maiden. I'm sure at a private field with only a few pilots it wouldn't be that big of a deal, I'd always watch a maiden and wait.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Cactus.

every virgin flight here is alone, we all want to see what happens
Old 01-22-2004, 03:08 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I won't ask, but never had a problem with getting a clear field when testing a warbird, which is what I feel most uncomfortable with. I guess people like to see if they will fly or crash and don't want to miss the crash[:@].
Old 01-22-2004, 03:40 PM
mvigod
Banned

At our field most are usually interested in seeing the maiden so often the field is cleared while everyone watches. I have no problem standing down if somebody wants the field to themselves on a maiden. It is nice when you don't have to deal with other variables plus hearing that motor on the 1st flight in case of problems is key.

Also I would rather not be flying on somebody's maiden in case something goes wrong I want to be ready to run for cover
Old 01-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Low Wing

two years ago I was test flying a Brand Spanking New Chipmunk Super 90...This was to be my first real bad@$$ model...While coming around for the first time there was a guy and I still see this guy from time to time flying an electric airplane...he is a very good...but he was doing loops right at us...
Old 01-22-2004, 09:16 PM
h8w8n

We even have a "maiden flight flag" that sometimes goes up for someone doing a maiden flight. And everyone seems to respect it.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:34 AM
H. Wayne S

Low Wing, I don't think you read what I said, I/we have never been asked to stand down. I fly at a very large field, and it's not a common practice to request the whole field. There are two ends and the middle to fly on, usually the heli boys use one end, the 3D boys use the other and the fun flyers use the middle. I'm sure if asked, I would. [:@]Now as far as you calling me a "jerk at the field", I think you need to get to know someone before you go making assessments of there personality and start labeling people you don't know.[sm=tired.gif] and personally, I don't cotton to being labeled by someone I don't know nor knows me personally.
That big old can you mentioned in another thread could belong to someone else.[sm=pirate.gif] I can't help but notice you have a habit of labeling people in a bad light, jerks,freaks, and so forth, and have stated in most of your replies that you were going to "kick someones butt", or had kicked butt,[sm=punching.gif] I think you may need to go on medication. I KNOW you don't need to be labeling me. [sm=angry.gif]
Old 01-23-2004, 08:32 AM
BaronSchwab

ORIGINAL: h8w8n-RCU

We even have a "maiden flight flag" that sometimes goes up for someone doing a maiden flight. And everyone seems to respect it.
What does the flag look like? My club should get one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.