The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Engine Size?????

Old 03-10-2003, 10:18 AM
crasher1
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine Size?????

O.K. guys, heres what I have.....a Quaker Kit (Old Timer), seven foot wing span, calls for a .29 FS, thought I'd put a .46 on it. The other is the older Lanier 325, small, fast, and acrobatic, thought that I'd put a Magnum FS .52 on that one. The reason I'm asking is because I just watched my Frontier Senior desinagrate, actually flew apart, at half throttle, running an OS .91, making a left hand turn. Had flown it previously two ther times and their was no problem at all. I switched from an OS .70FS to the .91 looking for a bit more pull. So any advice would be appreciated. Thanks again, a "Great" site.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:09 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine Size?????

I to like to overpower my models a little bit. The thing you are forgeting is the age of these kits. A .40 size engine from 1970 made as much power as a .25-.30 size modern engine. Thats the kind of power those kits were designed for. It's not so much the displacement differance thats hurting you it's the combo of modern power plus more displacement. Can you give us some specs on that 325? later daveo
Old 03-10-2003, 01:31 PM
crasher1
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine Size?????

Looks similar to the Extra 325, that Lanier makes, possibly I sould sheet the leading edges and fuselage to relieve stress.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine Size?????

I have the magazine that has the construction article on the Edge 3.25 by Nick Ziroli. He plainly states in the article that it should not be overpowered. According to him, all aspects of the design are very critical including the weight and power, both engine size related.