Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Bending stab tubes...

Old 01-23-2004, 02:25 PM
JasonNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bending stab tubes...

Hey there.... I am in the proccess of replacing the torque tubes for my stabs. I bought some new pipe and was curious on how I should proceed to put the 90 degree bend in it without kinking the tube?

Any tips or advice? Should I heat up the tube before trying to bend it?
Old 01-23-2004, 06:03 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bending stab tubes...

You can get a tube bender, various makes. You can also fill the tube with something before bending, such as a flexible cable, fine sand, etc. This will prevent the tube from crushing. Sometimes it helps to anneal the tube before bending, but you need to be careful if you do this. To anneal a brass tube (assuming your tube is brass of course), heat until glowing red hot and then cool rapidly (add water.) Tube will bend very easy, once. Once bent (work hardened) the tube will be very stiff. You can anneal again if the bend isn't correct. BUT, The problem is that if you don't work harden the entire annealed area, it won't work well as a torque rod as it will be too soft. So, I'd try bending without annealing first.

Just curious. Typically on most torque setups I've seen, the tube is a simple bushing and a solid rod is used for torque. This means you only need to bend the solid rod, not the tube. It doesn't sound like that is your setup.