The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Looking for opinions, - in regards to thread 'second chance'

Old 03-11-2003, 03:34 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Looking for opinions, - in regards to thread 'second chance'

Hi all,
I just recently added my 2 cents in regards to forums like this one eventually having to ask for membership dues, to help maintain the site, and pay for the massive amount of bandwidth needed. (see thread titled 'Second Chance'

I touched on the fact that internet advertising is (in my opinion) out of control; first with banner ads, then with pop-up, and finally with the spam (carpet bombing) advertising e-mails.

So I ask you all. Have you, and if you have ever clicked on a banner ad seen on a site? Have you ever responded to the ‘spam’ e-mails you’ve received? Have you ever clicked on a pop-up ad when you’ve been surfing? Do you generally know where you want to go?

Or are you all just plain fed up with trying to ‘hit the monkey’ or you find that '10x spy cam' a little too revealing?
Old 03-11-2003, 05:33 PM
cubflipper02
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Banner ads dont bother me a whole lot,I relate them to being like ads in magazines.I've clicked on them a few times.Pop ups and spam are a different story.If I ever see a pop up on a rc website I visit,that would be the last visit for me.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Dzlstunter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've not only clicked on a banner ad, but I've gone to the list of advertisers to locate stuff. I figure these are the companies which are providing something of value to me. If their price and service is as good as the company that doesn't support a model forum I like, I prefer to buy from them. My $.02. Dzl
Old 03-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Bill L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, dr, I do not click on any of those ads. I click them into oblivion about as soon as I know they are there.
Yes, I do know where I want to go. I go there, get my information, and leave for another site.
Notice that some of these threads are suported by magazines. I'll buy those magazines because I know they support what I like, and will provide more education on the subject.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2003, 12:11 AM
jneesy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

banners yes pop ups and spam, no never. got pop up stopper from cnet for nothing and cured my pop up woes
Old 03-12-2003, 06:34 AM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I never click on popups but certainly do click on banner ads on this type of site that are RC related. Even the popups don't bother me enough to pay money to get rid of them.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:14 AM
PROP-WASH
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

same here [pop-ups]=no] banners on this site=yes. I'm so used to those popups they don't really tick
me off any more.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:44 AM
RCU-Admin
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is a fascinating thread, guys. You should all know that you will NEVER see a pop up ad on our site -- ever. We reserve the use of pop up boxes to alert members of issues with their account and similar information necessary to keep them operating on our site.

As for banner ads, we will likely always have them in order to support the site. As for fees, here's what we posted in the "Second Chance" thread:

---------------
Interesting discussion. We hear you guys. We certainly have entertained a nominal fee of about $1.50-$2.00 per month, but only in the context of offering much of what we have for free with additional services included in the membership fee.

On one hand, we know that guys in this hobby love to chat with buddies and enjoy the benefits of learning more and sharing stories, etc. On the other hand, we have provided more in the way of new and innovative tools for individuals and clubs, with advertising doing little to defray enormous development costs. If our membership knew the cost of developing the Product Guide, Free Club area, Event calendar etc, they would likely chuckle at a buck fifty per month fee. Who knows. We are tossing it around and if we do something, it won't be significant and it wouldn't likely be required of those who just use basic services on the site like the forum.

Remember, our team is made up of guys who are as intense about R/C as you are. We come from the same place. Thanks for your feeback. Keep this thread up. We want to hear more from you.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:47 AM
SaviCatses

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't remember clicking on a banner, unless I really was interested in knowing more about the product, which is rather rare, but there's a perfectly good reason for this...

Probably the major reason why I DON'T click on banners is because I'm rather p.o'd at how they try to deceive people into clicking them. They pretend to be windows that can be clicked or present choices - but whatever choice you click on (like 'Hit the monkey' or 'choose your favorite color') the result is always the same. I have yet to even reach their bloody website and I'm already being lied to and decieved!!!! If a company needs to trick me into entering their website, I don't want anything to do with them, and it says a lot about the hosting website's operator for allowing it be shown.

Another thing is those 'new' popup ads that started appearing where they cover the website's content and follow your scrolling. With those, you must wait for the animation to end and a close button to appear (sometimes taking 10 seconds to appear). I usually stop going to the website if one of those start appearing. CNN had one a few months ago, but probably got quite a few complaints because it was gone three days later.

I know, not all banners are this bad. However, when the majority are like this, and only a small percentage of the good ones are actually showing something I'm interested with.. well makes for some pretty rare clicking!
Old 03-12-2003, 12:49 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To me the banner adds are just a way to keep me from having to pay to go to the site[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. In every magazine I have there are adds in it so why not have them here. I do not like pop ups. I have used the banner ads to get some products that I wanted.

If I am on a R/C related site I would not click on a banner for home security products but do like to see some of the new R/C products coming out. The ads should be about the subjects of the web site. Why would you want to learn more about foot powder on a site that is all about R/C The adds should be taylored to the site and the people using it.

On another site there is a banner ad for Hobby Lobby. It changes to show some of the new planes that they have. I have ordered a couple because of the ad.

Just my opinion.

Dru.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:52 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All in all, it teh adversiting striving to be #1, and to be the one that get's picked. But we are soooooooo desensitized by advertising that I feel they are just comming up with more and more. Foloowing teh proverb, that it's not he quality, but the quantity.

Living in Canada, alot of the spam, and other related 'pop up' advertising is for USA only. Nothing wrong with that... But the 'carpet bonbing / mass attack' methods used by today's internet companies. i feel there really should be a way to stop them / cut them down. ideally, Mr. Bill and his microserfs should develope a way to identify countries, and groups. Instead of having it all lumped into a global thing. or, the internet advertisers should make their wares and contests for EVERYONE.. Not to mention making filters taht work, and having parental warnings on them.. Of course, making a script that would remove your name from ALL mailing lists would be nice too!

We employ banner ads on our site. A larf actually, so see what is actually behind them. So far, no revenue. But we did get a warning, that if the ads we've chosen to run do not 'pull in the customers' will will soon be charged $15 per banner ad. Figure that one out....
Old 03-12-2003, 03:18 PM
crasher1
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is like a penny for a pound of your thoughts..........I've been doing this a long time, speed, connectivity, cabling, networks, hardware, software, cisco and our beloved Poncho, where ever he is lying. Here it is in a nut shell. Organization, for or not for profit, must if it wonts the World to see it "Pay" for the site, name, etc.... the list goes on & on......and then there is the monthly service fee to maintain it, and all the extras that go with new inserts, changes or etc......so , if it's still for or not for profit, then $$$$$$$$$ has to be raised ( where or who do you think comes up with the $$$$$$$$ ????)....O.K., well, choices, remember what you are??????Not for profit, raises money to pay the "Monthly" fee....no frill Web Site........Ahhhh, the for profit raises "Money" also, but lets other organizations place small "Ad" "Banners" on or in its Web site for "X" amount of $$$$$$$$ per month. Well, who wins?????? This one here is very "Clean"....no "Trash", no extra un related jargon in or on the site. I say, take the "Donations" spend them wisely and give the person in charge alittle "Praise" for his or her long hours of dedication and "Patience", and take then out to dinner. Hey, O.K. guys, I'll get off my "Soap Box" now and go smoke that "Caner Stick".
Old 03-12-2003, 07:21 PM
RCU-Admin
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Crasher,

Thanks for the soap! Here's a little bit of background:

1. A company runs this site.

2. The company has other successful ecommerce websites in the automotive arena (leasewizard.com, leasesource.com and carwizard.com).

3. The company has easily invested in excess of $250K developing the technology and the content for the site (I don't have the exact figures because Michael won't tell me, but I know development and hosting well enough to estimate).

4. The company intends to continue adding to the technology and content for R/C modelers of all types.

5. My guess, based on discussions and feedback, is that most services will remain free of charge but for those who wish to pay something less than 2 bucks a month, there will be some real value added stuff (like free privileges in current & future pay areas of the site like an auction at half-ebay prices) and other valuable services for us.

So what do you think? Does $1.67 scare you away (of course, there will never be pop up ads in any case)?

Abby
Old 03-13-2003, 10:38 AM
crasher1
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Man/Women.............1.67 , I'd easily pay 2.00 , I keep advertising this place and I would continue to support any and all efforts to secure the quality of RC life that "We" enjoy here. I too have a couple of friends who've invested "dearly", and the count seems to never end with todays ongoing new "Technology". I say..."KeeP Up The Great Work"
P.S. CC : To Second Chance