Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Smoke canister remote operation??

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Smoke canister remote operation??

Old 01-25-2004, 09:38 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke canister remote operation??

A guy brought along today some British Gas smoke canisters use for testing flues, these can be lit using a normal lighter and then produce a fair amount of smoke for 20-30 seconds, even when flown around on this heli.
Perfect for a funfighter me thinks. only how to set it off in the plane midflight?? i can't carry a lighter on board.
Any ideas?
Two i have are a glow plug with a small mount in it with a fuse of this stuff to the main charge which you then activate the glow plug and hopefully it's hot enough to set it off.
Or light it before flight in a airtight box which is opened mid flight.
anyone used these and has any better ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77251.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	94031  
Old 01-25-2004, 11:38 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Smoke canister remote operation??

the glow plug idea sounds like it may work, but the airtight box would be difficult to make and have it open and shut a lot and still be airtight. Actually i was just thinking you clould pull out the wick, and stuff in ine of those model rocket igniters. I think an extra RX pack on a switch connected to a servo would light that off.

sean
Old 01-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rocket igniter... ummm as long as it wouldn't damage the plane inside. the box would mearly be a tin fueltank type thing with a small tube and shutoff valve of some type, you throw the smoke bomb in it before flight and let it burn away filling the box with smoke, you simply let it out during flight in one go. tho the smoke might degrade while it waits. best option is to place it in a brass tube near the cowl then have it ignite, the smoke then passes out from around the cowling.
hopefully we'll have a few more to play with soon and see what we can do to set them off.
todays was just a baby one, next time we've got big boys to play with
Old 01-25-2004, 05:42 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know if you have played with the estes model rockets, they use an electrical element that is one time use, when pass a current through it it heats up, lighting the engine. Actually, just click the RCU mag reveiws link above, they did a hole review on smoke canisters. They did remote activation and lighting on the ground.

sean