Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Control Line engines on R/C planes

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Control Line engines on R/C planes

Old 01-25-2004, 11:17 AM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Line engines on R/C planes

At the field yesterday, we had four guys who flew their engines like they were control line - wide open until time to land. On top of that they were loud engines. My engines at full throttle have a perceived loudness much lower than theirs. Then one guy kept running up his engine right behind me (fence between flight line and pits) and would leave it wide open for several minutes, shut it off and then do it again. Really aggravating. I swear these guys are drilling out their mufflers or something.

Ok, just venting.... nothing to see here... move along please.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:00 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Control Line engines on R/C planes

I would politely tell them that it is a serious breach of etiquette to run engines WOT in the pits or on the flight line. If they are having problems, they should go to a more remote area of the field. If they have a problem with it, just watch their flights from your car... While sitting on the horn.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:03 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I would politely tell them that it is a serious breach of etiquette to run engines WOT in the pits or on the flight line. If they are having problems, they should go to a more remote area of the field. If they have a problem with it, just watch their flights from your car... While sitting on the horn.
Mike - That's exactly what should work, but in my club it wouldn't. They'd look at me like I was the biggest jerk to ever join the club and keep right on doing what they do.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Dzlstunter

Many of us hear you, Caffeenman. We are in the same boat about this or other issues. It seems these are usually safety issues, and some flyers seem to feel it isn't "macho" to worry about one's hearing or having a runaway model in the pits chew up a leg (or worse). If there are others in your club who agree with you (find out first), bringing it up at a club meeting where you would have some "safety in numbers" is an alternative. Be prepared to be received cooly for a few weeks at the field, though! Don't ask how I know that! Good luck, Dzl
Old 01-25-2004, 06:57 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what exactly are these muffler thingies everybody seems to talk about?[sm=stupid.gif]

dave
Old 01-25-2004, 08:31 PM
aimmaintenance

The simple fact that you was flyin yesterday and in NW Ohio it is 20 degrees with a 25 MPH wind makes me wanna vent!

All I can think of is (RUB IT IN RUB IT IN!)

[:@]
Old 01-26-2004, 10:59 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: aimmaintenance

The simple fact that you was flyin yesterday and in NW Ohio it is 20 degrees with a 25 MPH wind makes me wanna vent!

All I can think of is (RUB IT IN RUB IT IN!)

[:@]
Well, it's not as great as you imagine it to be. Today, for example,

[rubbing it in]
I'm going to have to endure temps in the mid-70's all day.
[/rubbing it in]

brrrr.....