Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

How long should this take?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How long should this take?

Old 01-26-2004, 09:49 PM
jester125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long should this take?

Im trying to build my first kit, its a trainer and I screwed up, I glued two sides of the fuse the same instead of left and right. I called Sig to order the 2 precut plywood sheets needed to replace the ones I messed up. They said it would be cheaper to order from my LHS. I got the part numbers from Sig (very nice lady) and went to my LHS with the part numbers. They took my name, phone number, $10 deposit and the part numbers, they said it would be about 2 weeks. Ive called each week after the first 2 weeks, its been a month and a half and they wont refund my deposit (store policy on special ords). Do parts from companies like Sig take this long or is my LHS taking thier sweet ass time ordering it? the problem is there is not another LHS near me, What would you do?

thanks, chris
Old 01-26-2004, 10:26 PM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How long should this take?

Chris,

Something sounds goofy here. Try and get this resolved with your LHS and if they can't provide
satisfaction within a few more days...contact Sig and explain the problem you're having with one
of their dealers.

My guess is Sig will take care of you and deal with the LHS seperately.

Sig is a great company. In business for many years selling good products.

I'm thrilled you're building your plane! Mistakes happen...learn from it and move on.

Good Luck to you AND your new plane!

'Race
Old 01-27-2004, 03:20 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree, talk to sig and give them a full explanation of what's going on. most likely they'll take matters into their own hands and you'll get your parts very quickly.

as far as your building mistake goes, welcome to the club!! in the 20+ years i've been building i've finally gotten to the stage where i don't automatically build two left-hand fuse sides. wing panels are a different story...instructions? we don't need no stinkin' instructions!

dave
Old 01-27-2004, 06:47 AM
aimmaintenance

The above advice is right on track.
Also on your next screw up see about getting some sheet stock from a LHS that they have in stock and just cut out new ones.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:06 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

For me the answer is simple, I would get an ARF then learn to assemble it. ONce I get familure with that, then I would move up to kits!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:49 AM
BaronSchwab

Forget the BARF!!!! ZAGNUT is right trash the stinkin' instructions!!! [>:]
Old 01-27-2004, 10:19 AM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Some LHS won't order until they have a suffucient amount of individual orders and place them all at once . They might be holding it until they have more orders, which isn't right, but happens. Take the above advice and contact SIG. I've worked with them and it took less than a week for a new canopy.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:11 PM
jester125

Well I called the LHS today and of course they blamed Sig for "dropping the order" so they had to re-order. He said it should be in today or tomorrow. I'll just wait and see. This is my first expirience with this LHS and I think it will be my last, they're 0 for 1 with me so far, thats not that good. I think I'll get an ARF with my tax refund.

thanks for the feedback, chris
Old 01-27-2004, 12:17 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep building. You'll need those skills to make repairs later. Save the Arf's for when you're old and lazy
Old 01-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Hey Mike, you know me well

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Keep building. You'll need those skills to make repairs later. Save the Arf's for when you're old and lazy
Old 02-20-2004, 10:17 AM
t8jones

do you have th phone number for sig, i need to call them and cant find the number
Old 02-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sig's # is (641) 623-5154

ARF's are great when your current hanger full of planes consists of a Glad bag and a lot of muddy balsa scraps and Monokote confetti. They get you back in the air quickly.

I know this.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:25 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

The guys who say Sig is a great company to deal with are correct. I bought a used Liberty Sport kit that was short decals, cowl, and wheelpants. They got them to me right away and they were a genuine pleasure to deal with. Call them. They will help you if you LHS insists on screwing you around. Just my .02.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:28 PM
t8jones

thanks, thats what I needed
Old 02-20-2004, 01:05 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

HAd a similar situation about a year ago.

Needed parts to repair three wings, all from teh same manufactturer (Great Planes)

Followed their instrucitons, and contacted my LHS. LHS 'apparently' ordered teh required parts. After about two months of nothing, contacted GP, on the LHS's behalf, to inquire where they were. Either no order was give, or it was lost, or got confused because it was one department tryignto talk to antoher department. A major mix-up, to which the LHS didn't seem to care about..

Anyways, GP did finally give me the parts for free, and within a few weeks, after trying to track down who screwed up, and where.

Contact Sig directly, and if you can, cc the LHS, so you all know what's going on / what's happening.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:38 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Hey now...who you calling lazy?

I know I'm old,but...

Seriously though, building does help later when you gotta make repairs. It also is good to know about the design aspects of how models are built. If you had a little more experience jester125 you could easily cut those parts you need from balsa sheet, and be back on track in minutes, not weeks. This hobby is not much fun when you have nothing to fly because of mistakes made.(crashes, construction errors, etc). The ARF route is good cause it will get you in the air fast. Building kits is also good cause it teaches you skills which will help you enjoy the hobby on a broader basis.

Good luck with the trainer, and your maiden flight. Give us a report and let us know how it goes.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:45 PM
Mike in DC

Jester125, you have the patience of a saint! When I start a kit, I go nuts if I can't make progress on it at least weekly! How much is the total for the pre-cut pieces? Couldn't you just buy the light ply, trace out the piece and cut it with a coping saw? Then you'd be on your way. If the LHS won't give you back the $10 cash, maybe they will give you credit towards the wood or fuel or whatever else you need.