Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

gimme your best guess please

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

gimme your best guess please

Old 01-27-2004, 10:31 AM
dershark3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gimme your best guess please

Getting my first ARF soon and I'm confused.

An ARF glider that is advertised as weighing 2.5 pounds "in the air" and comes with zero hardware.
I guess that "in the air" means with battery, receiver, pushrods, and servos.
None of these items are included in the box.
So the actual airframe in the box should be around 2.2 pounds I'm thinking.
It has a 75" wingspan - 3 piece wing - 41 inch overall length.

OK - here is the question.......
How much would the box weigh (as it sits in the hobby store - not packaged up for shipping ) ???

I have had people say anywhere from 4 to 11.5 pounds.
How much can some cheap styrofoam or bubble wrap and a cardboardbox weigh?

[link=http://www.lanierrc.com/lrcprivate/LRChtmpages/hawk.htm]glider link[/link]
Old 01-27-2004, 10:58 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: gimme your best guess please

I don't think there is anyway to know. Way too many variables - box, packaging, manual, ect...

Eric
Old 01-27-2004, 12:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why does this matter?
Old 01-27-2004, 12:51 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Not to seem trite, but do the following:

-Get a scale.

-Take it to the store.

-Weigh the box.

-This is how much it weighs.

The receiver, servos, battery, linkages, etc, could weigh as much a s a full pound.

As for the plane, you have to rely on either the manufacturer or find others who have built this kit.

BTW, you never did mention what the plane actually was. Tell us, and maybe one of us has some experience with it.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:12 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My guess is you have a beef with the shipping cost?

Everyone sets their own price on that. Some rip you off, some don't. If you think they are ripping you off, buy it somewhere else. Flat rate shipping seems to be the norm. Most are high.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:53 PM
DBCherry

Dick,
It's a Lanier "early Hawk" sailplane.

dershark,
No idea what the weight of the box as shipped would be, and don't see why it would matter (other than shipping).

One thing to keep in mind, that glider is meant for a "High Start" launch or a pod type motor; as such it won't hand launch very well. Unless you're joining a club that frequently flys gliders on high starts, there are better planes to start out with.
Dennis-
Old 01-27-2004, 04:50 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do yourself a favor and spend the few bucks extra and get a gentle lady ARF. It is 10 times the plane.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:44 PM
dershark3

Flyboy is correct.
I think I'm getting ripped off on the shipping charges but I already ordered it so I can't buy it somewhere else.
I knew the shipping charge was high - but I mistakenly assumed it would be sent with an insured, trackable, fast service for that price.
I was wrong about that.
I intend to weight it if it ever shows up at my door and see how much I was gouged.
How does a 2.2 pound airplane end up at 11 pounds in shipping condition?? This amazes me no end.

To petitte - there is a link to the craft at the bottom of the 1st post.

DBcherry - high start is exactly how I intend to launch it for training - later I will put a power pod and use the spacious fuse for a camera/video set up.

Flyboy - thanks for your opinion - but could you say why Gentle lady is 10 times better? Thanks.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:46 PM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: dershark3
could you say why Gentle lady is 10 times better? Thanks.
Because the Lanier "early Hawk" is 10 times worse.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:51 PM
dershark3

OK - let's try the corollary.....
Why is the Lanier Hawk 10 times worse?

I gotta be honest with you guys.
I'm having serious doubts about the usefullness of asking questions in here.
Seems like a huge waste of time in this case.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:12 AM
DBCherry

I gotta be honest with you guys.
I'm having serious doubts about the usefullness of asking questions in here.
Seems like a huge waste of time in this case.
Well, you're intitial question was how much should this weigh. That's not the type of question that anyone can answer, unless they have the kit perhaps.

Next, their is a thing called "dimensional weight", which basically means that the package cost to ship is based on it's size as opposed to it's weight. (Try taking an empty box that's 12" X 18" X 84" to FedEx, or UPS or the Post Office and ask how much to send it across country.)

I don't know what FlyBoy's experience is with the "Hawk", and I've neve seen one. But I HAVE seen a number of "Gentle Ladys", and they are a long standing staple of the glider community. They're light, fairly easy to build (in kit form), and are known to fly very well.

Hope this helps. RCU is the most informative site on the net (Not just RC, in my opinion), and to base your opinion of it on a single thread with an ambiguous subject wouldn't be terribly fair.
Dennis-
Old 01-28-2004, 11:19 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

Hope this helps. RCU is the most informative site on the net (Not just RC, in my opinion), and to base your opinion of it on a single thread with an ambiguous subject wouldn't be terribly fair.
Dennis-
Not to mention that there are guys like me everywhere who will give a smartass answer whenever possible. I don't know anything about Lanier planes - at least the newer ones. The older ones were the original ARF's and not very highly thought of, but that was back when almost everyone was a builder, so there was a certain "elitist" factor too.

The Gentle Lady has a sparkling reputation though, so if you buy one, you can't go wrong. It's a good plane.

- Paul
Old 01-28-2004, 12:01 PM
taxman232ex

Don't you have another thread about shipping costs?

I get tired of people saying "This product shouldn't cost but so much" or "That shouldn't cost but $x to ship"

If you don't like the price - DON'T BUY IT. If you don't like the shipping cost - DON'T BUY IT.

If you think you can do things cheaper - BY ALL MEANS DO IT>

Otherwise quit whining and *****in'.

Modellers have to be the cheapest lot of folks I have run into.

Taxman
Old 01-28-2004, 12:44 PM
dershark3

hey taxman232ex - we have to be cheap/aware/knowledgable !!!! because of all the robbers and con jobs and shipping tricks and 1/2 truths and all around overpricing that goes on in RC marketing.
Yes - there are some honest, straight shooting guys that give a good price, good service and good product with no lies or deceptions.
But they are the exception.
So when a guy feels like he is getting the shaft , it should be reported and others can take note and avoid a similar fate.
This is how the free market system is supposed to work the last time I looked.
I'm sorry you get tired reading about unhappy customers but - the truth is ------ they are out there, and they have a responsibility to the system to whine about it.
Otherwise the good honest vendors don't have a chance.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:58 PM
dershark3

DB cherry.......

I was just asking for a guess - as in the title of the first post.
A guess on the weight of packing material ( cardboard n bubble wrap n styro ).
I thought guys been in hobby long time could make a good estimate.

This is a great forum - dont get me wrong.
As I said - "in this case" - meaning this particular thread.
Sorry for any misunderstanding there.
I love this forum in general.

Dimensional weight does not apply in this particular case ( USPS International Air parcel Post ) There is a minimum weight and a max size.
The package fits in those parameters. I've done all the homework or I would not make the accusation.
It's just a question of paying way more for shipping than it cost to actually ship and the vendor keeps the rest.
To me this is dishonest and should be something frowned upon by the rc community I would think.
Handling is taken into account. He even told me how much he was taking for handling and that seemed reasonable.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:34 PM
DBCherry

I've done all the homework or I would not make the accusation.
I had no way to know this. Some of the questions (most?) that get asked have had absolutely NO research done prior to the asking.

You want my guess? Manual, bubble wrap (if any), cardboard, etc. Might come to 2 lbs. But you should have asked what the shipping cost was buying you (insured, tracked), and if you're unhappy with the cost, tell them, "No thanks, your shipping is akin to theft."

Seriously, could your local hobby shop have ordered it?
Dennis-
Old 01-28-2004, 03:05 PM
wyflyer
My Feedback: (7)

I recently bought an airplane for $145.00+ $19.00 shipping. The plane usually sells for $200.00 + free shipping. I think that the shipping was a little high, but I still paid less than I would have if I bought it at other places. My point is that sometimes places will have a really low price and kill you on shipping. In my case, even though I paid a lot more shipping, I paid less total because I bought the plane at the place that was cheaper.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:42 AM
Kaos Rulz

dershark3,

Who is the company that this order was placed with, and how much is the S/H?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:24 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is why I originally asked why you wanted to know. I had a feeling that it was related to shipping charges.

So, to put your mind at ease... Yes, you ARE getting ripped off on shipping charges.

Why? I work for several Mail/Web order companies, and I can tell you first hand that trying to figure out shipping charges is a nightmare. So basically, they take the easy way out. They charge one rate across the board. Or a certain price per dollar amount. For some people, they make out on shipping charges, for some, they pay too much, but for most, they pay what is about right.

Don't like it?? Then shop at your LHS. Because until the big shippers change they way they do things, it ain't gonna change.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:11 AM
J_R

dershark3

The plane will probably be fine for you for a short period of time. The fact that it has foam wings and an ABS fuse mean that it weighs a LOT more than a plane like a Gentle Lady. On the one hand, it will be less likely the fuse will break on a less than perfect landing, which is good for a newbie. At the same time, the wing loading will be high compared to balsa fuse, open bay winged planes. This is the type of small sailplane that many will use on a slope, rather than for thermal flying because of the wing loading.

I could not see where the plane was advertised as weighing 2.5 pounds in the air, but, did see where it was advertised as weighing 2.5 pounds. I would venture a guess that it will weigh closer to 3-3.5 pounds in the air. (Nothing to do with shipping).

Are you planning to have an instructor, or are you going to attempt to learn on your own?