Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

extreme cold effects on equipment

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

extreme cold effects on equipment

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 11:46 PM
cdsmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extreme cold effects on equipment

Would extreme cold (10 F) be detrimental to my transmitter for a period of about 48 hrs?

I am presently moving. All of my stuff is in a Moving truck parked in my front yard. My wife was fretting over some of her stuff in the truck, so it brought the question to mind.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:46 AM
smokingcrater

Default RE: extreme cold effects on equipment

haha, extreme cold... it is currently -40 outside, take your pick, celcius or ferenheit, doesn't matter to me... [8D]

anyway, it should be ok at 10f for that time, the screen might be a little sluggish if you power it up, but no damage.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:51 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

No, not unless you have water in or on it. Don't panic if when you turn the Tx on the screen is a kaleidescope of colors , it'll come back to normal after a while.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:20 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's -24 here, and I can tell you that it sure has had an effect on MY equipment!

Don't worry about it. In some cases it CAN be harmful, but there's no sense worrying about it till you get it out of there. Chances are everything will be just fine.

However, rapid temp changes can have a worst effect than the extreme cold. When you get to it, wrap it in a towel, bring it indoors, and let it sit for 24 - 48 hours so it will warm up slowly.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Most non-automotive/military equipment has a storage temp down to 0 degrees F. You should not have any problems. I would not power up the unit out of storage. I would let it warm up before using it. Thermal shock needs to be avoided.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Na, I flew last Saturday for several hours in that same temp with a JR computer radio. If it can function in those temps, it sure can be stored in them.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:13 PM
cdsmith

Thanks for all the input guys. The next time I get on RCU, I'll be in MISSISSIPPI!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:40 PM
rsjr

I left my plane and radio outside in an un-heated shed for the last week in temps. that ranged from +9 deg. F to well below 0. I charged the batteries last nite, in the same un-heated shed and flew my plane today for an hour and a half in 40+ deg. weather with no ill effects. I fly next my home so there was no rapid temp. changes (other than 9 deg. to 42 deg. within 24 hrs., typical Montana weather!) I would'nt worry about it.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:54 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's your thumbs you need to keep warm. Actually, I have all my equipment in the garage and it sits through the cold and hot. I haven't had any problems. I think the slow warm up is a good idea as well. I have heard it is hard on batteries, but I keep mine on trickle with a Digi-pulse charger, and once a month recycle even if I haven't flown. I have more problems with adjusting the engines more than anything else.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:40 AM
aimmaintenance

My equipment shrinks if it gets to cold.
It's real hard to start a plane with a 1" chicken stick!