Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Cameras and how to take pictures.

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Cameras and how to take pictures.

Old 01-31-2004, 01:56 PM
phread59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cameras and how to take pictures.

I am not sure where to post this. Being this is a catch-all section I will post here. What i would like to know of the forum editors/guru's is. How about a section on taking /posting pictures. I may not know how to post pictures. But I sure as heck know how to take'em. I am a very advanced amature photographer. I am very skilled at taking pictures. I have a lot of knowledge on how to take pictures and an extensive knowledge of the hardware necessary. I see people struggling to take good pictures. A little knowledge goes a long way. What I am saying is maybe we should have a column here on photography how to's. I feel there are a lot of people here who would like to know how to take better pictures. I would love to help anyone who has questions. I guess I am volunteering. So guys hows about it?

Mark Shuman
Old 01-31-2004, 06:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Cameras and how to take pictures.

Yeah, I'd sure like to hear from the 'experts' in the area of photography - cuz I only enough to be dangerous. I'm still using 35 mm film and shoot a whole roll and get what I feel are 'good quality' shots 2 maybe 3 times.

Jerry
Old 01-31-2004, 06:46 PM
ben flyn

How many times do we read: "How do you up-load images?" or "I can't get my digital photo small enough to up-load. How do you do it?"
Not a bad Idea!
Old 01-31-2004, 09:27 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerry,

Bite the bullet and get a high-end digital camera. Trust me, you will be amazed, and the editors will be pleased. Yeah, I know; Gordon probably still uses silver iodide plates and flash powder, but you can get you digital image printed professionally for one hell of a lot less than shooting 2-3 rolls and having them print a contact sheet; or worse, leaving them to the ministrations of some wog at the one-hour joint...[&o]

With digital, no more worries about tungsten balance on your indoor close-ups. I was blessed in that regard, since MHT was B&W and I did all my photos in that medium. The few "color" articles I did for some other publications were a major PITA on the indoor close-ups. But toward the end, B&W processing was becoming difficult and expensive to have done. Only the bigger labs even fool with it these days. And with more and more folks using less and less print/slide film, film processing in general is going to keep getting more expensive.

There is no rocket science involved in digital photography. It still is all about composition and controlling the light. You know how to do that. Figuring out all the whiz-bang features of a high-end digicam, though, takes some skull sweat. These things will do just about everything but scratch your back.

My bride got me a Sony F717 camera and DPP-EX7 self-contained photo printer for Xmas. It is super-cool and easy to take a couple (or a dozen or more) shots, pick the one that suits you, crop it, size it, shade it, whatever, to your satisfaction, then print it out; all at home, and in just about the time it took me to write this.

Make no mistake, there is a lot to learn. But, man, is it worth it...

Old 01-31-2004, 10:20 PM
ben flyn

Steve,you did grow up in Arvada CO? I sold a 4X5 camera to a classmate name Steve Campbell.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:59 AM
phread59

Yea Steve youhave a lot of good points there. But my problem with digital so far has been the digital's capabilitys. Most self contained non-interchangeable lens cameras are really only good for still picture use. They lack shutter speed. They have abysmally slow autofocus. Very long shutter lag. And usually have no or a poor manual focus feature. These cameras are great for fixed still photography. But just cannot hack a moving subject. Some of the highest end cameras such as the Diamage 7 series are fair. But to do any real moving photography you need a digital SLR such as the nikon D1 and so on. It is just too much to spend for the average modeler. Till you spend 1500-6000$ for just a body and no glass it becomes too expensive. What I would like to do is to suggest that we show people here how to take good pictures with less expensive gear. Heck a good Cannon Eos cheapie outfit with 2 decent lenses and a good film scanner can be had for less than 1000$. And give you better results than the best digital gear out there. I guess my intention here was to try to let some of the people here know how to do a good job with the least amount of money spent. And to get the most you can with what they have. I would also like to try to keep people from falling into all of the pitfalls there is in the photography industry. Oh well I am rambling. if anyone here has any questions please feel free to post here or contact me. i would be glad to help.

Mark Shuman
Old 02-01-2004, 09:52 AM
smokingcrater

check out the midrange canon digitals. I've got an A40 and it has all but replaced my film slr. is has some great options, including being able to set the ISO from 50 to 400 and shutter length up to 30 seconds. (not really sure how the ISO works for a CCD....) anyway, I've do quite a bit of aurora photography, and recently have taken only the digital out, for most aurora it works just as well as film. (temperature makes a big difference with ccd, i probably won't be able to use it for 30 second exposures during the summer, lots of extra electrons bouncing around to add noise on the ccd)
Old 02-01-2004, 10:34 AM
LSP972

Mark, I'll agree with you regarding the shutter lag. That IS annoying, and as you pointed out, makes a camera almost useless for action shooting. The newest interchangeable-lens models have almost eliminated this draw-back, but, again as you pointed out, you're looking at several grand for just a body; lenses are extra.

I have a Sony F717 that addresses every one of your arguments EXCEPT the shutter lag. It is not an inexpensive camera, but is so versatile that it has totally replaced my 35mm stuff. Want a good deal on a Nikon N80/Nikkor 28-85 f2.8???

I've only been in Colorado once, and never had any medium-format equipment.

Old 02-01-2004, 10:58 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Not to throw a wet towel on things, but this IS an RC site, not a camera workshop, and I like that fact. (There ARE sites dedicated to cameras and video which are a great place for info.)

If you petition the administrators you might get that changed, but I'm guessing this thread will get shut down pretty soon.
Dennis-
Old 02-01-2004, 11:29 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We have a forum for aerial photography. Why not post it there?

As far as getting good pics of airplanes, it is one of the toughest things to do (being a photographer is part of my job and I have shot many pics of planes, both film and digital). Two big factors contributing to the difficulty are:

1 moving target
2 Zoom lens

You must be very steady, and continue to sweep the camera as you open the shutter. In the days of film, it was not uncommon to shoot a whole roll of film for 3 or 4 good pics.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:35 AM
Mike James

When I look at photos on RCU, I don't expect or demand "art", but...

One of the often-discussed subjects in the scale-oriented forums is one of the simpler composition items.

Our models could look a lot "better" (if you consider "realistic" to be better) if we would take more photos at focal lengths, distances, and heights that make more sense. Some people s don't want to lay on the grass at their flying field for one reason or another, but the ones that do get more scale-like photos.

Obviously, having non-scale items in the background should be considered too.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:33 PM
hookedonrc

Mike James: As you indicated, it is sometimes better to get to the level of the plane. This is not a good example since it is obivously not a scale plane, but is an interesting shot and makes it appear more full size. Discounting the servo hardware and obvious engine/prop of course.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93751.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	96291  
Old 02-01-2004, 02:35 PM
LuvaraAir

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd be very happy to help with a photography forum for two simple reasons: 1.) There are so many misconceptions about digital and film that should be cleared up. 2.) R/C aircraft photography is very unique, and can be a good learning experience for all.

Yes, a high end Nikon or Canon that you need to get good digital results is out of the reach of average modeler. But it's just like anything else, you want results you have to pay for it. I'm not going to ramble on about the arguements now and waste my breath, but to put it simply - you can do amazing stuff with digital, but you can still do amazing stuff with film at a fraciton of the cost.

There is a big difference between talking photography, and specifically talking airplane photography and I would push for an R/C aircraft photography forum. I've been published in many magazines, FLYING, FLY/RC, MAN, MA, RCM, PacFlyer, etc... and I'm happy to share my experiences with others if RCU allows me to do so.

Name:	Wu61201.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	96331  
Old 02-01-2004, 02:51 PM
hookedonrc

That would be great as far as I am concerned. I have a 4 megapixel, Minolta Dimage, and my moving shots are blurry. I have taken 35mm for 40 years, but am new to the digital stuff. If you tell me that the Dimage just isn't up to taking the pics of a fast moving object, I can always go to my 35mm, I carry both at the same time anyway and can switch whenever necessary.

Name:	Zx72204.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	96340  
Old 02-01-2004, 07:29 PM
LSP972

<<...Not to throw a wet towel on things...>>

So why did you?

Why is it that every time a slightly obscure topic comes up, there is always at least one self-appointed Topic Nazi crying "Off-Topic!!!", and calling for the thread to be closed?

Good grief; the general flow of the thread is about taking photos of model airplanes, not documenting a summer vacation...

Old 02-01-2004, 09:20 PM
phread59

My intent was only to help modelers to take pictures of thier pride and joys they would be proud of. I figured if someone had questions maybe some of us who like photography as well could help out. That is all I am saying here. A little info can make a big difference in the enjoyment people would get from thier pictures.

Mark Shuman
Old 02-01-2004, 09:26 PM
phread59

Hooked the Diamage is a very good machine. It does a great job. You just have to be careful how you use it. To get a good action shot set the iso as high as you can go and set the file size to a medium resolution. Then prefocus the camera on an area. you just wait until the subject is just out of the focused area and push the shutter release. You will get your subject in frame when the camera fires. You may have to play a little till you get the timing right. You just dump the bad shots. Enjoy your Diamage, experiment as much as you can.

Mark Shuman
Old 02-01-2004, 10:51 PM
MinnFlyer

As long as this topic stays related to shooting pics of RC planes, I will let it stay open.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:55 AM
DBCherry

Steve,
If you'll read the eight posts preceeding mine, you'll see that RC and/or shooting photos of planes was not mentioned once. The only thing discussed to that point were the technical aspects of film vs digital imagery. There WAS mention once of motion photography, so I suppose that qualifies.

I like RCU, and have seen too many sites devolve into catch-alls that have no true theme. When that happens, finding a thread related to the original intent of the site is difficult at best. I'd prefer not to see that happen here is all.

Flame away.
Dennis-
Old 02-02-2004, 10:00 AM
MinnFlyer

Don't worry Dennis, RCU will never let that happen. Neither do we want to be labled "Over Moderated", so we will continue to allow the occaisional "Grey Area" posts to stay up, as long as they stay relatively on topic.

But as soon as something goes astray, we'll close it down. After all, RCU is first and foremost a Radio Control site.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:46 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

I'm on my 4th digital camera, and I'd never go back to film.

I got my present camera last Fall, a Canon Digital Rebel, with the standard lens and a 75 - 300 zoom, both autofocus.

Here's an example of what can be done. This photo was not cropped, just reduced in size to fit here.

Name:	Pn35715.jpg
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	96629  
Old 02-02-2004, 06:25 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I have a film camera (EOS Elan II with appropriate lenses), and a scanner attached to my computer. Photoshop helps too, but is only for really really playing with teh shots. Most (all) my 'posted pics' are just a 5x7 photo, scanned, then saved as a JPG. As for posting pics on any website, that's usually good enough. The viewed pic will be different becuse of various reason; resolution, video card, 'off color' of teh mionitor, etc...

but

If you want a 'quality' shot of your plane, waste a few rolls, get 'down and dirty', get some freids to hold it up (make sure they are out of teh picture) and shoot till teh cows come home. Film and deveoping is still really, realy cheap!!!

(BUt one day, whe the prices come down, and teh image quality goes up.. I will buy one!)

And jsut to keep things on track, the time of the day helps too, as this is late afternoon, on a hot & hazy day. Not me, but a good freind & his Neiuport 17, and a great flyer!

Ditto with the Funtana.. (remeber to shoot at a high shutter speed, and pan teh camera as you shoot..)

Name:	Lj23175.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	96748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29259.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	96749  
Old 02-02-2004, 06:58 PM
hookedonrc

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the feedback. I will start at our flying field when it gets warm out and someone is actually flying. Maybe I can get it right before some of the events this year.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:00 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

My wife is a wedding photographer and we have completely changed over to digital. We have "prosumer" Digital SLR's (S2 and 10D). They weren't cheap and the learning curve has been pretty steep.

DSLR's are more finicky when it comes to glass (lenses). I was using the 10D taking photos at the field using a midrange Canon Lens. The results were pretty good, but I've since acquired a high end (70-200 2.8L IS) Canon lens and the results are MUCH better.

The first thing we noticed was that our initial thoughts of shooting, loading and printing were a little off-base. Depending on how you look at it, it either TAKES you more time sitting in front of your computer or ALLOWS you to spend more time in front of your computer.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:56 AM
Grampaw

We have several "over the hill flyers" at our field, me included, who won't try for that low angle photo of a model airplane. If one of us laid down on the ground to shoot that type of shot, another flyer might mistake what he sees as an emergency situatiion, to rush over to begin CPR yelling for someone to "Dial 911! Before the hapless modeler can do anything he could be pounded on the chest, and kissed by some nut he hardly knows, and then an oxygen mask slapped on his face by an EMT preventing him from speaking, and then is secured to a Guerney inside a speeding ambulance in a race to the nearest ER led by two Highway Patrol units all with lights flashing and sirens yowling! In ER he again tries to tell all he is OK while flailing his arms about, but is put into Restraints while a nurse sticks a needle in his arm causing him to drift off into a peaceful sleep. A few minutes later his excited and anxious spouse rushes in to see him lying there so still faints dead away thinking she was too late. We won't go into the part where he gets the bill and the EMTs are called again. That picture just ain't worth it. (DB, I would have put this in the Humor section, but it was an "emergency!" OK?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.