Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Retracts?? which ones the best?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Retracts?? which ones the best?

Old 01-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Test`Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retracts?? which ones the best?

I'm about to start a new project, I have just purchased SU-27 FLANKER on eBay but you can order their kits at http://www.ak-models.com/
This will be my first retrats airplane which I hope to built to perfection, my estimate is about $700 by the time it will be finished, but I need some help with the retracts, which ones are the best? how much and where can I buy them?
the recommended ones are air retracts (springair?)
so far it looks like this will take about 7 servos, the more the better? how do they work?
as you can see I have no clue how to even start with this so any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading and happy flying![8D]
Old 01-31-2004, 09:35 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Retracts?? which ones the best?

Spring Air are my retract of choice. They are spring loaded down and it takes air pressure to hold them up. If you loose air pressure, they come down and lock on there own. They will require one servo that operates the air valve. Each gear has a hose that goes to valve and there is a hose that goes from the tank to the valve. You will also have a line that goes to the fill valve and is usually cut in the tank to valve line. The filling valve is mounted on the plane somewhere so that you can pump up the tank. Hope this is the info that you are looking for and Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-01-2004, 10:20 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so far it looks like this will take about 7 servos, the more the better? how do they work?
as you can see I have no clue how to even start with this so any information will be greatly appreciated!
Test Pilot,
Your last three sentences (two questions) make me real nervous. It sounds like you have no experience with RC (even though your first couple of statements make it sound like you have some type of experience. Have you built and flown RC aircraft? Because I'm guessing that your experience may be with static models of some type.

If you haven't flown at least a number of low wing, sport aerobatic planes, I hope you're not planning to fly the Flanker! All your hard work and long hours will end up as a pile of sticks very quickly.

That being said, the SpringAir retracts are top of the line, and if the manufacturer recommends a particular type, it's usually easiest to use those.

Good Luck, and welocme to RCU! It's a great place and you'll get a lot of terrific help.
Dennis-
Old 03-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Test`Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my last 2 question weren't clear enough to what i wanted to say, so just ignor them
thanks for the help with my main concern about the retracts.
i've already started the plane and now am installing the retracts.

and DBCherry, yes i have some experience with flying and building, hopefully the 3 times i've flown will be enough to fly this airplane.