Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

R/C flying in Saudi Arabia/Iraq ?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C flying in Saudi Arabia/Iraq ?

Old 02-01-2004, 07:14 AM
HammerTime
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C flying in Saudi Arabia/Iraq ?

Hello everyone,

My work may soon be taking me to the Middle East, in the Saudi Arabia, and/or Iraq areas.

Is there any R/C flying planes or helis there? What about local hobby shops? Any overseas mail order shops that give good service there?

I imagine that between frantic periods of working, I am going to have some free time on my hands.....

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Old 02-01-2004, 09:40 AM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: R/C flying in Saudi Arabia/Iraq ?

hey tim. first off, if you are going over to iraq or saudi arabia to fight for our country, thank you.
second, i dont know but bad guys may think its a UAV and shoot it down! That would be awsome if you could fly them over there though.

sean
Old 02-01-2004, 05:58 PM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

Tim,

What do you plan to fly over there? Glow fuel will be one of your main concerns. I know of a few hobby shops in Kuwait, but don't know of any in Iraq. Electric or a glider with a high start, or possibly a combination of both would be best.

Mail order stores such as Tower ship over seas but it is only USPS to APO's. I got back a few months ago, contact me for any more questions.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:04 PM
EC120

You will need someone to spot for you. They will need to be able to call out "landing", "taking off", and "RPG!!!"
Old 02-01-2004, 06:54 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i doubt you could fly in a thong either...might offend the locals...

dave
Old 02-01-2004, 07:05 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the infamous thong
Old 02-01-2004, 07:05 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Here's a touching story on r/c flyers in Iraq. We take all that we have for granted.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...q/rc-iraq.html
Old 02-02-2004, 10:56 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

HEY RCU! Marc, Mike, et al! Here's a GREAT EXCELLENT WICKED GREAT opportunity to make something happen in a good way, build some HUGE goodwill, and maybe make some friends in the meantime.

There's a thread here whre someone is excited about service from RC Showcase and wants to send a gift to Mike Dooley. What if we could redirect that effort to put the collective wherewithall of RCU and its memebers to work getting some R/C stuff for this guy and his friends in Iraq???
It seems that we ought to be able to leverage some of the support that RCU has to do something nice here??
Old 02-02-2004, 11:28 AM
AbuAnas

Hi everybody,

First of all, I hope that the admins will remove some of the flaming in this thread (I wondor how some ppl have full rights to flame others, offend them or even shoot them down, and you don't have the basic right to defend your self back). I don't want to make this thread to something thats far from what its supposed to be.

And YES, we have an RC club over here in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and even the authorities called upon us to discuss the idea of starting a new club in A-Kharj AB. As I have said in a previous thead that our guys (they are all arabs btw) fly aerobatics, giants, jets, ARF and home-built airplanes. We had some contests the last month, I'll try to post some pictures of it. We had a jet contest in UAE I already posted some pictures of it in this forum.

The hobby is picking up here in Saudi Arabia and we have an offical club and union that is subsidary of the Saudi Aviation Club. Yes there is no hobby shops at the moment and we always have supply problems, but we are a community and help each other out on this. And the club officeres are working with the authorities to resolve this issue.

There are hobby shops in both Kuawit and UAE and larger commuities of RC'ers

Finally, there have been guys who are flying RC for about 25 years in Saudi Arabia

-AbuAnas
Old 02-02-2004, 01:13 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

MODERATOR!

please remove my previous post with the ghastly, flame ridden thong joke[sm=surprised.gif][sm=rolleyes.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]

dave
Old 02-02-2004, 05:15 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Abuanas, sent you a PM
Old 02-02-2004, 05:17 PM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Hello Tim,

There is a shop of I know in Istanbul/Turkey here is its web address,

http://www.mustanghobbies.com/

You are probably going to visit Incirlik/Turkey Base while transfering to your duty place.

Altough it is kind of expensive for parts, .40 LA was $150 last time I checked but I know that Tower used to deliver to Turkey. You can use that shop for fuel.

The web site is in Turkish they will be able to help you Incirlik and pretty sure that someone in that shop knows English and help you.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:54 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me tell you my story. I was sent out to a carrier in the Persian Gulf and since I was going to be out for a while I took a new helo to build. I took the engine, radio, glue, lubes and tools that I would need too. It was all in the original factory box, no question, at least in my mind that it was a r/c helo. I was flown to Bahrain on military chartered flight to catch a helo to go to the ship. In Bahrain we were made to go through customs(why???) and they had a fit when they saw my r/c transmitter, which they immediatly confiscated along with the helo, tools. etc.... They did not want to listen at all about what it was or that I was continuing out to my ship the next morning. After about an hour the head guy said that he would have someone bring it out to the helo when we departed to the carrier in the morning, of course I figured I would never see it again. The next morning I could not get into customs to find the guy, you were very controlled on your movements. WE all got into the helo to depart and as the helo was spooling up the customs guy came out and returned the helo, along with all the other items to me. After that I would not run the risk of taking any thing into a middle eastern country unless I was sure it was okay and I had it in writting from some one that mattered...
Old 02-03-2004, 10:11 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Evan,
Why you had to go thru customs aside, take a look at where you were and what is going on over there. Is there any doubt of the paranoia? Our UAV's are now the subject of lore.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:39 PM
RCM IRAQ

HI HAMMER TIME,
I AFFORD AN INVITATION IN ME ARTICLE IN www.rcmmagazine.com TO THOSE WHO WANTS TO DO R/C FLYING IN MY COUNTRY TO IF YOU ARE STILL AROUND CONTACT ME, I CAN HELP AND OFFER A LOT FOR FREE
WE DO THIS SUPPORT FOR ALL
BY THE WAY I AM R/C FLYING ADDICT, WONDERING IF SOME BODY CAN ADVICE A MEDICATION
Old 05-19-2004, 06:11 AM
Mhale71

you be careful in iraq now, remember nick burg?