Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Subscribing to R/C Report?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Subscribing to R/C Report?

Old 02-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subscribing to R/C Report?

Every once in a while, I'll attend an event that's giving away an issue of R/C Report. The magazine is great; I read it cover to cover, and it always leaves me wanting to subscribe. However, there is never any mention of HOW to subscribe anywhere in the magazine. Most self-respecting publications have several postcards inside for subscribing, or at least a large, obvious advertisement.

I understand that R/C Report is published by people with a different philosophy from the normal marketdroids, but I feel they're doing their magazine a great disservice by not providing any obvious way to subscribe. The magazine is a no-frills, no-holds-barred publication, but they took "no frills" to the extreme! At the very least, there should be a half-page tear-out-able form for subscribing.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:13 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Subscribing to R/C Report?

I do not have a copy in front of me, but I am pretty sure that in each issue a phone number and address is listed for subscribing. I think their preferred method for subscribing is a phone call.

Lap flaps are a pet peeve of mine, so I can't say that I miss them.

Eric
Old 02-02-2004, 09:25 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Here you are!

http://www.rcreport.ws/biz.htm
Old 02-02-2004, 09:49 AM
J_R

Although I do not miss the inserts, I think Matt is right. Some sort of ad in the mag would help. Up until 3 or 4 years ago, I had never heard of RC Reports. You can't buy it in a hobby shop here in CA and in a club of 150, maybe half a dozen guys know what it is and subscribe. RC Reports keeps it's existence a secret very well.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:50 AM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Go [link=http://www.rcreport.ws/biz.htm]here[/link] for their subscription information. I personally wish they would have online subscribing, but that's just me.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:34 AM
SDR-Hammer

Send them a building tip or idea, if they publish it you get a two year subscription.

That's what I do
Old 02-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Matt Kirsch

All they list is a phone number. That's a pretty poor way for a MAGAZINE to do business. I want to subscribe, not wait on hold (even on their dime), or leave a voicemail only to have nobody return it.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Phil Cole

Every time I've called them I've got right through immediately. They just have a nice, friendly person to answer the phone. No automated attendants in sight.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:51 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Matt it's a small company, just call if you want it.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:56 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

All they list is a phone number. That's a pretty poor way for a MAGAZINE to do business. I want to subscribe, not wait on hold (even on their dime), or leave a voicemail only to have nobody return it.

If you click on the link I gave you above, at the very top of the page in LARGE print it says;

Contact Information

P.O. Box 1706
Huntsville, AL, 35807-1706
USA
Old 02-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Cajun

They have all of their subscription info on page 4 every issue. The publisher/editor/janitor e-mail address is [email protected]. He does read and answer his e-mail. It's in small type, so if you're reading impaired it might be difficult to find[]

You won't find any blow in or pull out or fall out inserts ads in this mag, so you can just open it up and enjoy. Some of us actually think this is the way a mag should be published.

Cajun[8D]
Old 02-02-2004, 11:00 PM
DBCherry

Some of us actually think this is the way a mag should be published.
Yep. And personally, I don't mind having to go through all the trouble of making a phone call to subscribe. It sure beats all those irritating "flaps" in the advertisement rags.
Dennis-
Old 02-03-2004, 12:59 AM
3DFanatic

RCReport is the best magazine I read. And Dick Pettit is the luckiest guy on the planet. If he retires, Gordon, will you hire me?
Old 02-03-2004, 09:35 AM
DBCherry

If he retires, Gordon, will you hire me?
No, no, ME! Pick ME!
Old 02-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Matt Kirsch

Thanks for the information guys.

Yes, it says CONTACT information, not SUBSCRIPTION information. Subscription information is listed in a separate section on that page, and no address is listed. I don't want to contact them. I want to subscribe. Big difference. If I send a check to that address, how am I supposed to know that it won't end up in some black hole somwhere? When you assume, you make an ***** out of U and ME...

I don't like the flaps any more than the rest of you. However, that doesn't preclude them from making the process of subscribing somewhat obvious. It's in fine print on page 4 of every issue. It's in some obscure location on some obscure website. I've read every issue I've gotten as a freebie from cover to cover, multiple times, and have never come across this information.

Would ONE flap really kill you? Would dedicating a 1/4 page back in the ad section to a subscription form really be that much of a burden? Heck, when you send out a stack of freebie magazines, include a stack of subscription cards! You really can't survive in this day and age without expanding your readership every year, can you?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:45 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

Thanks for the information guys.

Yes, it says CONTACT information, not SUBSCRIPTION information. Subscription information is listed in a separate section on that page, and no address is listed. I don't want to contact them. I want to subscribe. Big difference. If I send a check to that address, how am I supposed to know that it won't end up in some black hole somwhere? When you assume, you make an ***** out of U and ME...
C'mon Matt, you're joking right? Do you think that they have a separate building in some other state just for subscriptions?

Dang, my wife said she wanted to get me a subscription to an RC magazine last year for a birthday present. She asked which one I would be interested in (I was occassionally buying some at the LHS, that I didn't already subscribe too). I said "R/C Report", that was all the information I gave her. The subscription started showing up. If it was that easy for someone not involved in R/C to accomplish...surely hobbyists on this website can get a subscription! [X(]
Old 02-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Azcat59

I just looked in my current issue of RCR, and there is plenty of subscription info on page 4, and there is also a full page of subscription advertising on page 62. Also mentioned in the advertisers index in the rear. Subscribe and you might win a new Evolution engine. Says you can subscribe by (1) mail, (2) Fax, (3) email, or by toll-free phone 1-888-727-3767.

Short of calling you up Matt, and begging you to subscribe, I don't see how they could be much more accomodating.

Clair
Old 02-03-2004, 10:38 PM
3DFanatic

No no, I'm the logical pick
Old 02-03-2004, 10:45 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Sounds like he just wants to fill out an On-Line form and be done with it" but then he refers to using a check??

E-Mail your address and CC# its quick and easy, or Call the 800 number to reduce the risk of info being misdirected.

But whatever you decide, its worthwhile getting.