Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

new guy, wants to play too

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

new guy, wants to play too

Old 02-02-2004, 10:05 PM
gran pa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy, wants to play too

I hope this is the right place to put this. I just signed on and finely got enough guts to try.

I an retried from the below.

1. cop in Wichita Ks, (lots of stress)
2. judge in Iola Ks, (lots lots of stress, no matter what you do you make some one mad)
3. probation offier in Iola, Ks(some people, 95%, you just can't help, bad job and lots of stress)

Current job

Juvenile intake officer, a so so job, I work every 3rd week on call 24 hr, and get paid even if they don't call me. When I am called it takes about 1 hr to fill out the report and send the kid home, detintion, or foster home, next day I turn the report in to the county attorney and forget it. No stress except at 2 A.M. in the morning. I cover 2 counties which has 3 Police dept and 2 sheriffs dept.

Don't worry about ofending me as I have been called every name in the book, also you can't laugh at me cause I laugh first so you laugh with me.

Also if you don't pick on me I think your mad at me.

sorry I'm so long winded.

Granpa Bill
Old 02-02-2004, 10:49 PM
J_R

Default RE: new guy, wants to play too

Welcome aboard.

JR
Old 02-02-2004, 10:55 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well welcome to RCU Bill. Can't imagine why anyone would laugh at/with you though. There's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to get involved with this great hobby.

I'm assuming that you don't have any experience with RC planes, so I'll suggest that you just take some time and read about trainers and engines and radios in the "Beginners" forum, and on the FAQ's page. Then ask all the questions you want.

I think you'll find that this site is filled with great people, all more than willing to lend a hand.
Dennis-
Old 02-02-2004, 10:58 PM
Barland

Welcome ..... from another retired cop.. 28 year with Coon Rapids MN, 18 years as a dog handler .... good years, man they went by fast!! Anyway, I started flying after my retirement with a local club... great group of guys - esp. on weekday afternoons when the retired crowd is there. Talk about critics, but boy is everyone helpful. I'm sure you will find the same thing down your way. Send me an e-mail if you want. I started out with an Avistar bought from a club member. Great plane to learn on and it will take you some time to learn all it can teach. Have you picked up a flying simulator.. will save you a ton of cash as you learn. I bought G2 Light, now I'm wishing I had bought the full version. Anyway Good Luck.. Enjoy DickB
Old 02-02-2004, 11:07 PM
gran pa

thanks for the welcone. I love ths clubhouse. I do have a NexStar, but with the weather the plane is still in the box and I'm on the Real Flight simulator that came with it.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:43 AM
Low Wing
My Feedback: (1)

Best introduction I've ever read out here...You can't really say anything wrong in your thread/post unless your me...I recently neutered my opinion to better fit the format (PC crowd)...This is the best site on the web...lot's of great people (except BasinBum) J>K...that's short for just kidding, LOL BB...and all kind's of really smart R/C guy's who have lot's of experience...
Old 02-03-2004, 08:27 AM
jettstarblue

Welcome Gran Pa.

You came to the right place for advice/entertainment/jabs/ect. Some of us are a little over the top at times....hmmm talking about myself again....but Low Wing pretty much summed it all up in his post!
Again, welcome.

Jetts
Old 02-03-2004, 08:43 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Welcome aboard you "Dirty Rotten SOB". Glad to have you!

Tim
Old 02-03-2004, 10:24 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard. Its a lot of fun and a good place to hang out.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:28 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ever think of getting a simple job... like alligator wrestler?

Welcome to RCU!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:35 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: gran pa

Also if you don't pick on me I think your mad at me.

Granpa Bill
Pick, pick, pick...don't want you to think anyones mad at you already!

Welcome aboard!
Old 02-03-2004, 12:39 PM
ballgunner

I retired after 30 years as an officer on the FD. The reason I went for the job in the firstplace was that a lot of my modeling friends were already on and they could fly when I was working during the week. When I went to work there were only 466 in uniform, much more now, and we had enough modelers to form our own club, the Smoke Eagles. I know Peace officers take alot of flak but so do Firefighters. How many sidewalk chiefs have you heard say "Why the siren ? Are you going to get the chief a hamburger or did we break up your pinochle game" ? We were peace officers as well and went through the riots of the 50's and 60's. You have my full support.
WELCOME to the best stress reliever in the world.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:55 PM
hookedonrc

Welcome to the world of nitro addicts. Don't know if you get down our way much, but if you're interested, our club has a Memorial Day funfly every year. We had about 45 pilots last year and hope to have as many or more this year. If you want to stop by it is open to the public. Barring bad weather we have a great time and you can meet lots of RC folks from around the KS, MO, OK, and AR.

Here is the website: http://www.americanturfflyers.com
Old 02-03-2004, 03:27 PM
phread59

I target shoot with a bunch of retired vets. Ohh boy do I take an occasional hammerin. Glad to see you here. I know a fair number of officers, correctional officers and members of the local court system. I understand your feelings. Welcome.

Mark Shuman
Old 02-03-2004, 04:16 PM
rc247

Welcome Bill!

Bill
Old 02-03-2004, 08:56 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Bill,

How is the flight simulator going? It is a big help to spend as much time on it as possible. Glad to have you here with us.

Eric
Old 02-03-2004, 09:31 PM
necorc

Welcome Bill, my pop was a cop for many years. Hard for me to do anything and get away with it! RCU is a stress reliever in itself but nothing compares to flying.

Remember you can pick your friends and pick your nose, but please don't pick your friends' nose.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:25 PM
aimmaintenance

C'mon in and belly up to the bar!
It's a great place to be.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:14 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Hi gran pa! Sounds to me like you will fit right in. You can leave the stress behind, life's to short. ENJOY it now, while ya can. I wish you success with the new trainer. You should have a ball with it.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:22 PM
donhef

Welcome from another newbie!

As everyone above has stated, this place is the greatest...and yoou'll never want for an answer to a question!
Old 02-04-2004, 01:40 PM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Howdy neighbor, RCU can make this a small world.

I'm in Chanute but I fly at the Iola airport whenever I get a chance (my wife teaches in Laharp so I bring a plane whenever I have honey-do's planned at the classroom). However, I spend more time hanging out here in cyberland during the winter. I wonder if we ever met? We have a great bunch of guys all around the area who fly (at least we call it flying), lets get together sometime/
I also fly a lot in Humbolt, Pittsburg, and Ft. Scott.

Scott
Old 02-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, we need more old guys.....just to keep the young'uns in line. Great place, all the information you need can be found here.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Flak

Granpa Bill,
I'm a JO CO Deputy Sheriff. Come on up to Hillsdale, KS. anytime.
We have the best flying field in the KC area. Great folks fly there or I wouldn't belong to the Barnstormers. June 19-20 is the Mid States Scalemasters qualifier. I have to really get busy on my B-25J.
Welcome to the forum. Nothing but good people here. The bad one's don't last long. Fly your simulator often, as it will really help your flying at the field.
"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 02-05-2004, 07:35 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Welcome to R/C and RCU Bill!
Hope you enjoy your self, best of luck with that trainer and sim.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Nuker

Welcome Bill,

did anyone notice the first person to welcome "Granpa" was "J_R"?? (sorry couldn't resist that one)

You will enjoy that Nexstar. I took a new student up on Jan 1 at a club event (we still had green grass up in Toronto, then ,.,,,,,,,, [] )
It flies real docile with the wing flaps attached but with the air foil has potential for more as you progress. The amazing thing is the crash warranty; my LHS confirmed that the warranty was there.

Once thing to check, the new guy's fuel tubing was scored where it connected to the gas tank and split. Not a big deal but you might want to have someone to a quick check before you get it all together (though it's mostly done).

Welcome to the hobby and never worrk about asking questions here!

Bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.