Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Are Great Hobbies good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 12:02 PM
PlagueWielder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Great Hobbies good?

Hey

Im going to place an international order with Great Hobbies for the Saito FA-91S soon and just wanted to hear your experiences with this company? Are they good? Is the customer service good?...

Thanks
Old 02-04-2004, 01:12 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Are Great Hobbies good?

I've ordered a few things fornm them, and so far, absolutley no complaints.

kits are packaged well, and other stuff is well packaged as well.

Customer service (e-mails) are usually handled within a morning or an afternoon (a few hours) and are polite, and to the point. They will give you confirmation of payment received, and the order packed and shipped, if asked. You can ask to have notes attached to your file, with special instructions. They are easy to talk to, and you will usually talk to one person (or three people at teh most; just going up the ladder, until the issue is resolved) Not like some large corporations, where you're talking to a differnt individual every time..

They will supply shipping information as well, so you cvan track the package yourself as it leaves their front door. I have even had them track a package for me, without asking!!

The only problem I expect you to run into, will be with the carrier, and possibly Israeli Customs..
Old 02-04-2004, 01:20 PM
PlagueWielder

Wow, thanks.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:08 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

yeah, I like them!

Oh, and another piouint, is that they have been steadily lowering their prices to be competitive with the USA. With our canadian dollar rising as it has, their prices reflect it!! that's sweet!

Plague, let me tell you a little story..

Recently, I had taken advantage of one of their specials. I bought a Sig Smith Mini Plane & some decals. they cam back with: "all in stock except this part. what would you like to do? wait, or partial ship?" I decided to wait the two weeks, and asked them to make a note of the total price, so i could prepare for the COD.

During that time, They had a 'pre-christmas' special, and I asked if I could add a few items to my order. "No problem at all. Parts are added, and your new total is $xx. the back order parts should be in teh next shipement"

Order was shipped. I never received it. Called them, and within a few hours, I had a reply as to where and why my parcel had not arrived. She told me it had been sent, and teh courier visited my place of work (where it was shipped to) and then gave me the reason why I had not received it, when the attempt to deliver it was made, and the tracking number. And I was to reply as soon as I had located it. Turns out, it was the carrier's fault for non-delivery, but it was at teh local distribution hub.

That kind of help, in the last weeks of December, deserves a few good words!
Old 02-04-2004, 03:33 PM
PlagueWielder

Thanks. I really like their international shipping rates.. really low and the Saito 91 price is the same as any other store in the US (240 USD).
Old 02-04-2004, 04:14 PM
Dig it

I've dealt with them for a few years now out of Edmonton, Alberta and I have nothing but praise for them. Excellent service, prompt shipping and communications, great prices. You can't miss.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:54 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: PlagueWielder

Thanks. I really like their international shipping rates.. really low and the Saito 91 price is the same as any other store in the US (240 USD).
My LHS sells the saito .91's for $219.00
Old 02-04-2004, 11:23 PM
CP140

I place several orders a year with them. No problems to worry about. The couple very minor problems that have shown up have been rectified with a couple of short polite emails. I've no qualms about ordering from them again.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:33 AM
ukrconsul
My Feedback: (1)

7 years with them, they are super. Don't miss their new catalog this march.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:14 AM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plague, have you had any dealings with customs yet? heard any of the horror stories? sometimes things slip through without a prob, sometimes they charge you VAT alone and sometimes they want 100% customs. no set rules unless you're bringing over something mainstream like a stereo.

only way i've found to get around this crap is to have the price on the customs slip understated.....everything i buy is $50 don't know if Great Hobbies would do this for you but a lot of the smaller businesses have no qualms about it

dave
Old 02-05-2004, 06:17 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Zagnut, where do you buy from ?
Old 02-05-2004, 07:09 AM
ZAGNUT

i am NOT going to name names but by "smaller businesses" i mainly mean one man shows like kit builders and specialty parts. big distributors like Tower or Digikey will not do this so from them i keep my orders at or under $50 so they are not subject to customs

dave
Old 02-05-2004, 08:14 AM
PlagueWielder

Thanks for the suggestions.