Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Trailer Insurance?

Old 02-07-2004, 09:49 PM
AirBearMA
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Insurance?

I've recently purchased a enclosed 7x16 trailer to transport part of both my and my partners fleet of planes. I know that in Massachusetts, liability insurance for the trailer is covered by my car insurance.

What I was wondering was does the car insurance cover damage to the trailer in the case of an accident and if it covered damage to the contents of the trailer in an accident.

With possibly 10 to 15K worth of RC equipment in the trailer this is something I will need to find out before spring flying season. I'm not sure if the contents can be covered by my car insurance, my homeowners insurance, or if I will need to obtain extra coverage for the RC equipment when I'm transporting it.

Has anyone ever checked this out before???
Old 02-07-2004, 11:39 PM
LarryC

Default RE: Trailer Insurance?

AirBearMA ,

I live in Arkansas, and my insurance is with a company base down here. I checked into exactly your question and I found that my auto policy only provided liability coverage for the trailer, while it is attached to my vehicle. My homeowners policy provides $1000 dollars coverage if something happens to it here, but as you know, that would not go very far.

Coverage for the trailer and contents can be purchased as a separate policy, but with the company I'm with at least, it's expensive relative to the price of the trailer. With the amount of gear you have though, it might be worth it, especially if you do trips where you are parked in motel lots at night.

Not related to insurance, but something I did to make myself feel better on trips was to use a locking pin to hold the receiver into the hitch on the truck. These don't have roo to get a cutter or saw in position when it is locked. Then I use a heavy steel cable around the hitch frame and through the front of the trailer frame, locked in place with a large Master padlock. It's still not theft-proof, but they would have to work at it and it would take a while. Bolt cutters don't work well on the fine stranded aircraft cable. None of this will keep them out of the back door though. I'm thinking about an alarm system for that, but haven't done it yet.

Good luck with the insurance,

Larry
Old 02-08-2004, 07:09 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry's given you some good advice, particularly about the locks on the receiver. I'd also suggest that you not put anything on the trailer that indicates that it's full of RC stuff.

As for the insurance, I honestly don't know for sure, but I doubt that the trailer or homeowner's will cover the contents. You might get reimbursed for some maximum, like 500 or $1,000, but I'm not sure you'd even get that. I talked with my agent about the RC stuff I have in the house, and was told that I should dtermine the value, take some pictures, and would have to pay for a "rider" policy to cover it. Same is true of artwork or items that can't be replaced. An antique piece of furniture for example.

I'm guessing that if there were some remains (say after a fire), and you could prove what you had, then you might get something.

I doubt that it would be different, unless worse, for the contents of a trailer.
Dennis-
Old 02-08-2004, 07:53 AM
EagleOne

Yeah that's a not very good subject. My mom managed to get an insurance for her Laptop computer, but for an RC trailer?? I find it hard, unless you ask them for a separate policy and find ways to prove that you had what you had inside it.....Here in Brazil it's enough (in the laptop case) to present them a police report, but I don't know how it's done in the US.... Might be worth asking them, the worst answer you can get is that's it's not available or is very expensive.....

Just my 2 cents though.....