Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Which Field to choose??? Cobb or Paulding

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Which Field to choose??? Cobb or Paulding

Old 02-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Hobbies for Fun
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Field to choose??? Cobb or Paulding

Ok I am faced with a delima.

I live 6 miles form Paulding County Model Aviation's field http://www.pcmaviation.com/
and 7 miles from Cobb County Radio Controlled Modelers Club http://www.ccrc.info/

I have 5 planes, a modified easy fly 40 (tail dragger now with 60 engine), a stock avistar, some crazy 60 size trainer, a 40 size extra 300 and a 120 size ultra stick.

Both fields have paved runways but there are some plusses and minuses as far as I can tell.

CCRC
+ Longer runway with runoffs (could land my cessna 172 there if a few trees were out of the way and i didnt want to take back off)
+ Nice Covered pavilion and tables
+ large membership for help and BS'ing with everyone. (someones always around to see you do that amazing thing you wil lnever ever be able to do again)
+ Went there today and was mobbed by the some very freindly people.
- trees
- houses nearby ( no fly before 12am sunday)
- the few times I vistied june/july last year during the weekends it was packed, way too many planes in the air for my weak stomach.
- 25.00 out of county fee (i live only 7 miles away and own a business in Cobb County, gimme a break)

PCMA
300 +/- foot paved runway, guestimating about 12 feet wide.
+ covered pavilion, great security since the police have a training facility 20 feet away.
+ smaller membership so no fighting over Freq pins or 8 planes in the air fighting over air space (even though my first time there I did see the only two planes flying have a mid air, coolest thing I have ever seen in RC)
+ No 25.00 fee for out of county
+ 1 mile closer to my home.
+ local law enforcement loves the club.
+ the most freindly people I ever met, 1st time there, 6 poeple introduce themselves and even offer to let me fly their planes since I didnt have mine.
- Club may possibly have to move since real estate devolper bought all surrounding land to make into a subdivision.
- absolutly no run off on either side of the runway what so ever. (concerning since I am going to fly my 120 size ultra stick there)
- smaller membership (last two weekend i went there, there was no one there. (sunday's 1:00 ish) so no one to BS with, watch my insane harrier with my avistar, and only a few trainers available.
- no heli's, and my daughter loves to watch the Heli's

So what do you all think???

Thanks

Big Al
Old 02-08-2004, 04:16 PM
BaronSchwab

Default RE: Which Field to choose??? Cobb or Paulding

Man a real trade off. I would be tempted to go with PCMA because of the friendlyness of the local law enforcement a big +. Is it on an old landfield? If it is devolopers can not build on it and the clup would be fairly secure with a place to fly. Well after typin this I would PCMA.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:16 PM
SDR-Hammer

Join both! What have you got to lose? The extra dough couldn’t account for more than a tank of fuel in your 172.

Several of our club members also belong to another club.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:48 PM
BaronSchwab

True, true. If you can, go with both. Good idea.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:00 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

I faced a similar choice a couple years ago, and I chose PCMA. At the time it was due to the fact
that I thought CCRC's out-of-county fee+initiation fee+dues were a bit steep, and also, someone
had told me it was quite crowded on the weekends, and much time would be spent waiting around.
Since I don't get the free time to fly that often, in the first place, I went with PCMA.

Great bunch of guys... and a lot of pattern flyers, if you're into that.
It can be lonesome at times, but then again, you might go out next time and have a full house.
I think I've waited on the freq pin twice in two years of flying... and maybe once or twice I've
waited because the "sky was full". Both conditions are the exception, rather than the rule.

There are definitely some great people at both clubs though... I'm sure you'd be happy with either,
or both, as someone else mentioned. There do seem to be more of the 3D type fliers out at CCRC,
and more heli flyers, for sure. Not that helis are banned at PCMA... I've flown one there before. The
guys out there just don't seem to be all that into helicopters. (Or if they are, they haven't shown it)

The "no runoff" at PCMA could be intimidating, I guess... if you have a hotter plane and can't slow it
down enough to land. I will say that I've seen 1.20's and bigger fly out of there just fine. Nail the
approach, and it isn't a problem. Come in 10' high, and you'll be going around again, on a calm day
I have definitely flown from worse locations. (barbed wire on both ends of the runway, for instance.)

I'm in a similar tossup between Douglas County Aeromodelers and PCMA again this year, as I have
moved, and the Douglas County field is considerably closer to me than PCMA's now.

Douglas County's site has a LOT more runoff on the ends... but the grass isn't nearly as nice as PCMA's.
It has pavement, but I tend to like to land on the grass, generally... especially on taildraggers with a skid
instead of a tailwheel. Saves some embarrassing moments, that's for sure. The trees are much further away
than either PCMA's or CCRC's. (Haven't been to CCRC since they cleared more... may not be true now)
It's all about what you like, and what's convenient for you, really. They're all fine places to fly.

I'll probably end up doing two clubs this year... if my "free time" shapes up like it appears to be doing.
It's always nice to have options.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Hobbies for Fun

I am debating the 2 club idea. Then if CCRC is packed I can just run over to PCMA to fly.

decisions decisions...

Speaking of CCRC, if you ever have a chance to go over there, there is a guy there that can make a Heli do things I didnt know was possible. Absolutly amazing to watch.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:55 PM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Join both. With housing being developed at the one field there's a good chance that the noise will evebntually shut the field down, then they'll be such a rush to join the other that they'll have to close their membership, and you won't have a place to fly! [X(]

Okay, so it most likely won't happen that way, but I belong to 2 clubs and enjoy having the option.
Dennis-
Old 02-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Longaly

Hey C_W,

It's Rick from PCMA. I was wondering what happened to you! I hope your move went OK and you're settled in. By the way, I was one of the guys Big Al met the other weekend and also one of the two guys involved in the mid air! Rich and I were testing out our combat skills and had a meeting of the minds, so to speak! Mine, a reborn trainer of some sort, was a total loss. Can you say lawn dart! Big Al is the one who found it out in the woods for me! Rich was flying an ugly stick and landed with minor damage. Looks like Tim F. at PCMA is getting some Hammerhead combat kits cut and we will be getting some club combat going soon. I just picked up a Magnum .25 so now all I need is the kit. I've been to the Douglas County club site too and feel the same way about the grass being to rough and I think PCMA has a little bit better facilities, but I haven't been to their field for quite a while now.

Big Al,

It was nice meeting you. No matter what you decide, PCMA, CCRC or both, I'm sure you'll be happy. Like you said, both clubs have positives and negatives. I'm glad you liked the show the other day. I guess we got a little carried away! Last year at our County Appreciation Day, a couple of the heli guys from CCRC came over and did a demo for the crowd. These guys were truly amazing! I don't think you will have any trouble with the Ultra Stick 120 at PCMA. There used to be a guy that flew one with a weed eater conversion engine and he didn't have any problems at all. PM me and I'll give you my number so we can meet up at the field sometime.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:46 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

See... nobody ever tried combat when I was around. I heard about it, but never saw any.
(Granted, I only made it out to fly a grand total of 6 or 7 times last year... ouch!)

I picked up an OS 25FP sometime last season... and might be tempted to see if I can
horn in on some of that combat action this year, myself. Hmmm... gotta call Tim F.

Gotta agree with you that the US 1.20 shouldn't be a big deal to fly out at PCMA.
I keep hearing terms like "landing on a carrier deck" to describe the field, but I think
people just get the big dropoff in their head, and get nervous or something.
There's plenty of room to setup for a proper landing approach. Maybe not for most jets...
but I'd bet almost any prop plane could be in and out with no problems.

Good to hear from you, Rick! I'll probably be seeing you guys around March or so.
I'm definitely feeling the bug again. I'm going into nitro withdrawal or something
Old 02-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Longaly

C_W,

Definitely give Tim a call and let him know if you are interested in combat. He is trying to get an idea of how many kits he needs to round up or have cut.

I agree with you about the drop off on the west end, it can be a little intimidating sometimes but after you have flown a few times you don't even think about it.

I have been going out to the field almost every weekend this winter. It really hasn't been that cold although I did wear long johns once!

Again, give Tim a call so we can get this combat thing rolling. I'm looking forward to some carnage! Take it easy.

Rick
Old 02-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Hobbies for Fun

I'm game too, gives me a reason to build another plane, combat this time..

well I guess I got to get the whole flying thing down first....
Old 07-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Sport_Pilot

I know this is old, but it appears if you picked PCMA you made a wise choice. Looks like CCRC will be closed down soon. I don't see how they can survive with a house right at the end of the runway and members flying right over the house!
Old 07-13-2004, 07:46 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

Niether one, come to Griffin...
Old 07-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Longaly

Hill202,

The Flying Griffins do have a great field! Just a bit to far for me to travel to on a regular basis.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:16 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

yes, I would like to travel around the metro area and visit all the clubs.

The Flying Griffins will be hosting the Joe Gordon fly in. I believe its in Sept. You should come and visit. Lots of items raffled off. I know of one JR 8103 being raffled by the club. We will be having our swap meet that day as well, lots of deals on planes and equipment.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Longaly

Hill202,

I was there for the Joe Gordon Fly In last year and won a bag of Dubro goodies. Will do my best to make it again this year. Maybe it won't be as windy this time!
Old 07-15-2004, 12:15 PM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

May I extend an in-va-ta-tion to join the Fixie Dirtmasters here in Maycoon. It's only 120 or so miles from your home, but we have a lot to offer that others don't. We offer to you and anyone else that is interested:
1- A 300 plus acre padded crash site (tall weeds) around the landing strip.
2- Unlimited parking.
3-Covered Bull sessions sheds (3).
4- A know-it-all that has flown every type of plane you can imagine and will be more than happy to come stand next to you when your flying and tell you how to fly and land the plane you have in the air.
5- An OLD WOMAN in a mans' body that will scream "FULL SCALE" at the top of his lungs as soon as a full scale comes in site and will not quit until it is gone. ( this includes commercial carriers at 30,000 plus feet) ]
6-A leprechaun/troll that will mooch any thing he can from you and when you do give him something it will not be up to his standards.
7-Members and non members that will park at the pits fence without a plane, to prevent you from unloading and loading your planes you will fly. Their there to tell you the 3 F's (Fix, Fly, Find) but most of them don't have a plane nor have ever owned a plane but they had a buddy that did and they were at his shop ONE night and learned all there is to know about R/C planes and want to share there knowledge with you!
8-PLENTY of help solving any problem ever known to arise with a plane that has never experienced that problem but will know how to solve it. AND they will be happy to repeat themselves long after you have solved the problem and are back to flying.
9-The pleasure of viewing at least two pilots purposely trying to have a mid-air.
10- The pleasure of having at your disposal all the know-it-all advice you can listen to, but will never absorb due to your using up all your gray matter becoming a brain surgeon. ( so your a dummy for life now)
11- Gnats
12-Heat
13-The pleasure and wonderment of watching people pulling a trailer with one plane in it pull up and assembling that one plane and never fly it just to take it apart and go back home. ( BUT they were there)
14- The wonderment of a dulie pulling a 30 foot trailer with one little bitty gyro-copter in it. (.40 size) and thats the truth!
15-Living proof that first cousins should not get married and reproduce.
But we be having fun, so you'll come on down now, ya hear?
16- oh I forgot, (Thanks WAGAS) 400 pound, damn fool, stupid *****, spectators that will come in the pitts even after you have warned them to stay out and fall on your brand new 33% Extra !
But, we be having fun, so you'll come on down and join us, ya hear?

Just kidding.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:25 PM
wagas

AHHHAHHH HAAHHHAHH...Man Wayne I haven't laughed that hard in a while......But you did forget to mention the spectators that come and love to fall down on your stuff!

Flying Griffins!! Great club and Great members! Plenty of guys in that club keep my pop busy fixing things...derr model medic....
Old 07-16-2004, 06:14 AM
H. Wayne S

OK,Ok, OK ! the old woman trapped in a mans' body has taken offense with my statement.(funny they knew who I was referring to)
I owe him/her an apology. I'm sorry,[>:] (yeah,) I forgot and did not include the following;
* Screaming "dead stick" and "Landing" ; even when it's not your plane coming in.
*"Man on the field", every 10 seconds when someone walks past the fence, even when your the only person at the field, (the people at the Truck terminal told us that one),
* Coming down to our end of the field with them little bitty planes and filling them up on the set-up table and spewing that damn glow fuel all over the table. (now it's on my wing bags)
*Insisting a plane is out of fuel every time one won't start, and refusing to shut up when it does start due to the dummy trying to start it forgetting to plug in/hook up a glow starter.
*Insisting on wearing them damn knee high white socks with shorts, and while we're at it, turn that damn hat around the right way. You running for the president of the visually unpleasant and first place fashon abuse or something ?
Want some more ?
Old 07-16-2004, 07:26 AM
wagas

Wayne does the old woman in man's body have a username here on RCUNIVERSE? Or is he just a lurker?
Old 07-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

Could we stick to the subject? I think it was about Cobb and Paulding clubs, not about bashing someone at a club over 100 miles away.

What's with the bashing anyway? Someone itching for a libel suit?
Old 07-16-2004, 09:03 AM
H. Wayne S

Chill out Sport_P, it's all in fun. No bashing here.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:09 AM
wagas

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Could we stick to the subject? I think it was about Cobb and Paulding clubs, not about bashing someone at a club over 100 miles away.

What's with the bashing anyway? Someone itching for a libel suit?

[sm=rolleyes.gif] What-ever!
Old 07-16-2004, 09:43 AM
zetor
My Feedback: (2)

Paulding county has the a tiny runway with a cliff at one end. There is a reason there are no photos of the field, pitts, and runway on paulding county's site. It's really pretty bad. The runway sits on a hill side to make it worse. I really don't see how anyone lands anything in that field.

CCRC isn't crowded hardly ever. Maybe during the first two weeks of warm weather but after that, it is pretty much wide open. I've been out there plenty of times on a Sat and there would be 4 or five people there with good weather. The facilities are great :covered pitts, level runway, no 100' cliffs at the end of the runway, nice clubhouse with cold drinks and snacks, nice restrooms, well maintained grounds (mowed 2 times per week)
Old 07-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

Paulding isn't that bad, just avoid hot landings. CCRC was a lot more crowded a couple of years ago. Expecially on a nice spring or fall day. Has slacked off considerably since 911. Especially giant's.