Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sharing an experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 12:57 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharing an experience

Went out flying today. A guy who's flown before (beginner/intermediate) was there. I walked around and made it to him and said hi. He told me how he'd been in the hospital for the past couple of weeks and was kinda drugged up and "didn't know if he should fly". I asked him a couple of times if he really should fly, and he said he "had to fly sometime". I made one more suggestion for him to just hang out, but he felt he was ok.

Well, turns out he shouldn't have flown.

Long story short, he seemed to be doing ok, then made a pass over the pits. A definite "no-no". He realized what he'd done, and landed and apologized.

The next flight he took off, someone was coming back from the "woods" looking for a lost muffler so I said, "hey, keep it high, there's a guy coming across the field".

About 20 seconds later, I see the plane about 15 feet off the ground, coming straight, out of control towards the flight line. Just before it crossed the runway, it nosedived right into the ground splintering into about a billion pieces.

A nice 40 size Extra trashed because this guy wasn't thinking. And no, no one at the club would have let him fly again even if he saved it, as he was a danger to us all.

Mike