Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Market question

Old 02-10-2004, 09:28 AM
lbianchi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Market question

I would have one curiosity: how large is in USD, every year, the total north america market of the r/c aeromodelling? And in particular, how many engines sell every year between glow and gas versions?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 02-11-2004, 08:31 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Market question

Well, I doubt you'd ever get an answer to this, if only because the question is so broad, and by USD, I assume you mean the United States. There are a number of outlets available for buying an engine, on-line hobby shops, local shops, distributors, importers, oversees purchases, so no one keeps track of something like that.

But if I were to take a stab at guessing; there are somewhere around 150,000 AMA members, and some number of RC flyers that aren't members. I'm going to assume that the number of non-members buying engines is roughly equal to the number of members who don't buy engines. Then I'll take a guess and say that the average member buys 2 to 3 engines per year. IF my guesses are anywhere near accurate (and that's a BIG if), then I'd be saying there's something like 300,000 to 500,000 engines sold.

You didn't mention electric motors. If you had, the numbers would be a lot different because there are probably tens of thousands of people buying park flyers.

Why are you asking? Are you planning on introducing a new engine to the market?
Dennis-
Old 02-11-2004, 08:53 AM
lbianchi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Market question

Hello Dennis, thanks for the answer.
The market of the gas engines interests me above all, why I am working with some Italian friends on the prototype of one 4 stroke supercharged 52 cc coming from a McCullogh grass trimmer. But this engine, for being competitive in performances, weight and price is realizable only with industrial criteria why it demands special pieces that only the factory can produce. Therefore, to develop this plan serves a market in a position to absorbing every year at least some thousand of pieces. If you need some information in more, you can look on the forum Gas engines/Gas 4 strokes(http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Gas_...1480684/tm.htm) or in my gallery.

Luigi Bianchi