Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Shipping Planes

Old 02-11-2004, 12:40 PM
mktwise1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping Planes

I would like to learn the best methods available to ship planes without fear of damage; considering costs as-well. Are there certain type boxes, packing materials, retail or commercial places to take planes for packing and shipping, etc.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:02 PM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Shipping Planes

No way to ship without fear[sm=confused.gif] !!! S*&t happens even with the best of them.[]
I have had extremely good luck with Greyhound Bus Lines. Pack in Good heavy cardboard boxed, with plenty of room between the plane and the sides, and bubble or peanut packing. Always tie or secure the plane in the center of the box/crate then pack around it. I have shipped several planes and have received many on Greyhound and have yet to have one damaged.
( NOW, I'm having one shipped to me from Texas and now that I've said this out loud watch it come in CRUSHED !
Old 02-11-2004, 04:26 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I send them in oversized boxes, packed full of popcorn foam. Seal it well and make sure the box is strong. I quit using UPS. They destroyed one bad, and then didn't want to cover the cost, even after paying insurance extra. I ship grey hound and have many times. Never had a problem and it gets there fast.

Had one guy ship me one that had holes cut for the tail surfaces and they were out in the air. I can't believe the shipper took it. Can't believe it didn't get trashed too. amazing.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:02 PM
goliath-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

I build and ship 105" old timer type planes, and I build the crates my self and ship by UPS, no problems yet.

I build My "crates" Myself. I go to the local box manufacturer and buy a 75" by 100" piece of double wall card board($9.00 each,I cut the piece in half the long way to get it to fit in my pick up). using a drawing they gave me I build a box with an outside dimension of 65"X16"x16" This size cost $40 to ship by Ups and can weigh up to 70lbs(the boxes I shipped today came out to about 15lbs each, the box weighs more than the plane).

I just shipped a RTF 105" plane to a guy in Minnesota today, the total was $73 including $1500 insurance for two big boxes, The goal is make the box just under the 130" max girth plus length,if its over that there's a $40 surcharge.

The 75"X100" sheet makes the box in two pieces with a glue flap at opposite corners. I use Elmer's spray glue for the laps.

I then build bulkheads out of 3/4" blue foam panel board.($8.50 for a 4'X8' sheet at Lowe's) to support the fuse and wing. The idea is to suspend the plane part in the middle of the box away from the sides of the box. These bulkheads (in conjunction with the double wall corrugated) have the added advantage of making the whole box Extremely strong.

I tape the small accessories to the inside walls of the box. and wrap every thing in bubble wrap before installing the parts in the bulkheads.

You need: the cardboard,foam board,spray glue, box cutter, pizza cutter(used to crease the corrugated at the fold line) ,and Good wide strong tape.

It took me 8hrs to make and pack the plane in two boxes, I charged $50 labor plus packaging supplies for the crates($100 labor and supplies, for two large boxes).

My goal is to make the box indestructible. I do not put "fragile" on the box because this is just an invitation to the box handlers to use the box as a football!