Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Long EZ owners( Mine Flies finally!!!)

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Long EZ owners( Mine Flies finally!!!)

Old 02-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long EZ owners( Mine Flies finally!!!)

I wasnt to sure where to post this, but decided to put it here.

I was wondering who owns a Long EZ. If so, do you have any pics to post of your Long EZ.

I own a old St. K Long EZ, shes about 14-15 years old. A few years ago she didnt go airborne and crashed [:@] into some tall grass breaking the wing in half on both sides, breaking one rudder, and bending up the landing gear, well, shes getting a well deserved make over[sm=sunsmiley.gif]. Heres a few pics of her, Fusco had a pic of it flying on their site.

Post about your Long EZ and post some pics, I want to know how many EZ's we have in the R/C community.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98076.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	102928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31248.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	102929   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26819.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	102930  
Old 02-20-2004, 11:49 AM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Long EZ owners

I have one that had the same type of missfortune. I will look for some pictures to put on. I am in the middle of scratch building another. The air frame is pretty much complete. Sweet flying birds.

Building a full scale one too!
Old 02-20-2004, 10:27 PM
flicka5
My Feedback: (2)

Have the 1/5 scale Long Ez that flew once OK but took the canard out rolling into high grass on second take off attempt. Our field is too short for it to rotate off of grass. Also, have a 1/3 size scaled up from the 1/5 kit size but not finished. Planned to fly it with the OS 1.08 glo engine and have a 13" 3-blade pusher prop for it. No, not a Fusco!
Old 02-20-2004, 11:46 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a fusco edition just before they folded throught eeeebbbbaaayy. Nice kit glassing a little rough. Bit disa pponted in the non scale nosewheel
Old 02-23-2004, 05:17 PM
cwesh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one too. Retired it back in '95. After 14 years flying it, it needed a major overhaul, both fuse and engine. Too much work!

Besides, it was a bit heavy too.......

But it was fun zipping along at 165 knots!

Ok, Ok it was a full scale one!

Old 02-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Dago Red

heres a few new pics of my EZ

Name:	Us52887.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	105681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51481.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	105682  
Old 03-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Dago Red

a Humor picture.

Name:	Ca81725.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	106814  
Old 05-06-2004, 04:31 PM
kylereal

Not new the the whole Rc flying world but new to the 1/5 Long-Eze Im in the process of building and then put it out to the real world and paint it like my Real Long-Eze but yeah will update with pics as process moves on.--Kyle
Old 07-21-2004, 10:21 PM
jderickt

How hard is the long ez to fly. Been flying for a few years and have flying a mid-wing and enjoying. Looking for something to build that's a little different.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:21 AM
FLYBOY

It flys like a pattern bird. Very smooth, very nice, pretty fast and awsome looking. As long as the runway is good, it will do fine. I don't think I would fly it on grass.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Joe Spitfire
My Feedback: (1)

I see you're from Houston! So am I! Where do you fly? I'd love to see your Long E-Z fly. I too have the St. Croix version. I bought it years ago...maybe 1985. I still haven't built it. I decided to start about a year ago, but it took me almost 6 months to find a set of plans to copy...the mice got mine!!!

It's almost next on the project list. Any tips? I'm sure there are a ton. I build all my planes, but this one is a bit intimidating. I've never used fiberglass/foam.

lot's of questions... what size engine? any cooling problems being a pusher in a cowl?

I'll ask more as I think of them. Anybody feel free to join!!!

Joe...
Old 08-24-2004, 03:13 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Joe,

I'm building the St Croix Long Eze right now. It's slow going as I have had a lot of things on my mind the last few months (getting married Sept 4th!). Here are some things I have learned.

1) Take your time with the wing cores. The 1/16" sheeting isn't enough in my opinion. When I do another one (I have a Fusco and a Boxer LongEze still NIB) I will go for 3/32". MY wing cores were a very poor to match root to tips and so I sanded down to the core on the mid wing both sides...it's a good thing you have to glass the cores. (yours may be okay, I don't think St Croix was too into quality control). The instructions say not to do too much sanding on the leading edge before joining the wings...I would say do NO sanding.

2) Toss the wing mounting blocks that have to be epoxied together for the fuselage and wing and install your own made from hard maple engine block material. I went with 1/4-20 bolts on all four pieces...I didn't like the idea of having to stock two different size wing bolts and bolt wrenches, but that is just me.

3) I extended the nose 2". The real plane had a 12" extension option for better balance. This lengthening allows the fuselage to be sanded to shape better IMHO. It won't have the weird downward jag right in front of the canopy that I have seen on some of the models.

I'm using an Enya .45 on mine. As long as you have good airflow to the cylinder head it shouldn't have a problem overheating...just don't sit idling very long on a hot day...get the air moving as soon as possible.

When I get it all glassed and looking pretty, I'll post some pics. I'm working on the tip sails right now. I really don't look forward to trenching the wing for the rudder actuators, but what the heck, it needs to be done.

Just take your time and follow the instructions word for word...they are pretty good and lead you to a good looking project at the end.

Don
Old 08-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Joe Spitfire

So.....you too let the kit sit for a couple of decades? I think St. Croix folded in the 80's.

Thanks for all the tips. I thought the manual called for the wings to be glassed...I could be wrong.

Keeps the tips coming!

I'll keep your post, and refresh when building starts. I'm finishing a Lazy Bee now....quite a dichotomy!!!

Joe
Old 08-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Dago Red

Joe,

I havent got my EZ airborne yet. At the moment Im flying out of Orange, Texas. over by Beaumont. Till I get a job and have to stay around here during the weekends, ill fly there. When i do fly here, in houston, ill fly out of teh closest club. I live about 3 miles from Larrys hobbies.

My EZ was glassed. When it was built, the owner had it Pro built. The builder did a A++++ job. I had a .40 ST on it the fist few flights, flew great. No over heating problems to my knowledge, however, make sure you cut a hole to let the air flow over the head. I might start back in on it after i finish up my 30% ede 540. Good Luck.

D.R.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:27 PM
hattend

Yeah, I got mine on ebay about 4 years ago and finally got the urge to build it about 4 month ago. It's at least 20 years old...the plans have disintegrated little by little during the build...I'm using my Fusco set for guidance...LOL!!

Yep, you glass the wing with 3 layers of cloth. One layer covers the whole wing, another layer out to the end of the mid wing and a final layer on the fuselage strake.

Later
Don
Old 08-25-2004, 09:57 AM
FLYBOY

the 16th sheeting is fine. Make sure your cores match before you sheet them. I hardly sanded the sheeting. Glassed per plan and if flew awsome. The wing was pleanty strong till it went through the center of a barrel laying in the grass when the engine quit. Didn't see that laying there. What are the odds. New one is framed up, but haven't glassed it yet. Will be a better bird. I made some changes to the wing mount system and made the nose longer and sleeker like my full scale.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:50 AM
hattend

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

the 16th sheeting is fine. Make sure your cores match before you sheet them. I hardly sanded the sheeting.
Yep. Like I said, I don't think the kits were very uniform throughout the life of the kit run. I wish I would have taken some pics of the raw cores lined up before I started just to prove how crappy the core matches were. The match on my Fusco cores is much better and from what I suspect, the Fusco kits were the leftover stock when he bought the rights. I don't think he actually made any kits. I haven't checked the Boxer cores but I would imagine they are much better as they are CNC cut.

Don
Old 08-25-2004, 01:49 PM
FLYBOY

Yea, St croix was pretty bad. Some of the cores really sucked. You have to sand the cores down to match before you sheet them. Makes it a lot easier.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:57 PM
hattend

Hmmm...you know, I didn't even think of that...LOL!

Oh well, same results and the whole thing gets glassed so it should be fine.

Don
Old 09-19-2004, 08:00 PM
JPV

Looks like you found the right place to put this from the replys. I have been looking for a pusher canard to build for a .49 engine. I am presently re-building a twin pusher canard. Where can I get the plans for this plane? Thanks Crash [email protected]

Name:	Ay74975.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	175043  
Old 09-25-2004, 01:28 AM
ponderosa

I have a Long-Easy kit made by Cressline. That manufacturer was not mentioned in these posts. Is this the original manfacturer of just one of many? The kit has foam win cores just like many of you have said.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Joe Spitfire

Cressline was the second owner.....after St. Croix. They actually owned it at the time I bought my kit.....in the mid-80's.

I STILL haven't started building mine!!!!

If anyone's still reading.....I have a barely-used OS 50. Think that would be ok in it? Looks like more power than less is desired.

Joe....
Old 09-28-2004, 03:06 PM
Dago Red

Im going to power mine with a .70 4 stroke, that more than enough power. so maybe a .50 4s would be enough to atleast fly it.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:10 PM
Joe Spitfire

NOPE! Not a 50 fs...a .50 2-stroke!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Dago Red

LOL, im sorry, yes, its enough power. I had a ST .51 on it the first couple times mine flew. Go with the .50, youll be in goos shape.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.