Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Dissapointed about no-shows at WRAM show

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Dissapointed about no-shows at WRAM show

Old 02-20-2004, 09:04 PM
AirBearMA
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dissapointed about no-shows at WRAM show

I just got back from the Wram RC show in White Plains NY. This was the first time I had ever attended this show and I was excited to see all the new products and obtain information from some of the vendors.

I was hoping to see if Futaba had finally released the Frequency Synth for the 9C (It has been listed in their catalog for months).

While Airtronics and Hitec (with Multiplex) put on a good showing, both JR and Futaba were absent. I thought this was pretty strange considering that the Wram is considered one of the big RC shows and the two Radio companies that have the highest following of customers both chose to ignore the event.

I know that marketing budgets might be tight for some of the smaller companies which would cause them to have to skip some shows but I think it is inexcusable for a couple of the big boys to ignore events like this.

BTW: Kangke USA was there with their new 1/4 scale Rearwin Speedster so guess what I ended up going home with tonight...lol
Old 02-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Dissapointed about no-shows at WRAM show

Did Hitec release any new stuff? Servos or ?
Old 02-21-2004, 12:01 AM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

There weren't the usual amount of vendors this year. There were a lot of openings in the basement area. The model show was in one room instead of two. Electrics were big this year. Lots of brushless motors and lipoly batteries. I picked up a few good deals on Sermos connectors and Hitec servos and battery packs. Hitec had a much larger booth than usual with all their products including Multiplex. The Multiplex aircraft got a lot of attention. Hobby Lobby was doing a land office business and they were well supplied. Their electric warbirds are really beautiful especially the P-40. Some rows were really crowded and others sparce. The toughest row was the one with Batteries America with Great Planes across from it. The Great Planes electric DC-3 is really nice. Bruckners in the basement had a great price on it.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:56 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There WERE a few less vendors this year, but I can't place those that were missing. Anyone else stop by the RCU booth? Erick Royer was the only one there that I'm aware of; I bought a hat from him.

Bought a smoke pump (and a pump for filling the smoke tank) from Sullivan and managed to talk them down an extra $4 or $5 from the show price for buying both.

Microfastners was there as usual, and I stocked up on misc. socket head bolts, blind nuts and stuff.

All in all I got out of there with a lot more of my money this year. I guess after eight years my supplies, engines and stockpile of kits is so high that I don't need to buy as much.

The one thing I didn't see and would have purchased was fuel. Most years someone is selling it by the case for a reasonable price. Oh well.
Dennis-
Old 02-21-2004, 01:19 PM
stuk_at_work
My Feedback: (111)

In addition to Erick, Larry and Marc were both there representing "management". Furyflyer2 and I were both there as well. It was really nice to put member names to faces as people came up to introduce themselves. Considering the fact that RCU wasn't really there to sell merchandise, it was nice to see that there were always people by the booth, schmoozing with whoever happened to be in the booth at the time.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:25 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

I think someone said that they weren't allowed to bring fuel in this year because it's too flamable.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:54 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Dissapointed about no-shows at WRAM show

The couple of vendors I missed this year were Propwash Video, Conley-Perry-Varsane, Aircraft International, Jim Cline, and as was mentioned JR and Futaba. This was the first year in alot of years that I thought the place was kind of empty.
I don't remember if Hobby Lobby was there now that I think about it...
Old 02-22-2004, 05:56 PM
stuk_at_work
My Feedback: (111)

H-L was there big time. They were near the "stage".
Old 02-22-2004, 09:27 PM
AirBearMA
My Feedback: (1)

Hobby Lobby put in a good showing with plenty of new merchandise. From the crowds I always saw by their booth, I would have to say that attending this show paid off for them.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:21 AM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Propwash Video was in the basement. I had a nice chat with the person in the booth.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:29 PM
LuvBipes

Futaba radios were on display at the Great Planes booth. I checked-out the new 7 ch rig, which is a "de-tuned" 9C and looked pretty nice. The new OS 70 pumper also looked really good. Agree that overall the show held a lot less interest than in previous years.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:02 PM
rc247

ORIGINAL: stuk_at_work

In addition to Erick, Larry and Marc were both there representing "management". Furyflyer2 and I were both there as well. It was really nice to put member names to faces as people came up to introduce themselves. Considering the fact that RCU wasn't really there to sell merchandise, it was nice to see that there were always people by the booth, schmoozing with whoever happened to be in the booth at the time.
Did Erick arrive in his Escalade with his peeps and flashing the bling all over the place...now that he is a celebrity in the Dubro commercial? Did he show you his SAG card or mention any movie deals?

Just kidding.. someone has to give him a hard time.

Bill
Old 02-23-2004, 03:07 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

You know, this is the second time I've seen the complaint that JR wasn't there. Are you sure that JR wasn't in the HORIZON HOBBY booth, with the rest of the Horizon products? I've been to the WRAM once and Toledo twice, and neither JR nor Futaba had their own booths. Both were part of the large displays put on by their US distributors.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:01 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

This is the 2nd year in a row I have missed the show after going for two straight years. Back in 2002 the down turn in attendance by suppliers was understandable given the events of the time. But there were several missing, highlighted mostly by the vendors who had moved from downstairs, upstairs. I heard that again, attendance was down. And again this year.

Bummer.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:04 PM
BRYAN01601
My Feedback: (48)

Old 02-26-2005, 03:09 PM
DBCherry

I found some of the posts a bit "off", then finally realized you had resurrected a thread from a year ago.
Dennis-