Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

magazine's, am I missing out?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

magazine's, am I missing out?

Old 02-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Blackie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magazine's, am I missing out?

I've noticed here lately a great deal of conversation on magazine's, I for one have never given them much thought but now I'm wondering if there is a reason why so many others subscribe to them.

That being said brings me to these questions.

Am I missing out on somthing?
Is there something to be learned in these mags.
Which are most prefered?
Do they offer more then what AMA sends?

Thanks
Blackie
Old 02-20-2004, 11:22 PM
aimmaintenance

Default RE: magazine's, am I missing out?

As far as learning stuff goes I would say your not missin out on much regardless of the mag you may subscribe to. Sure you see new ways of doin stuff and you can pick up a tip or two but all in all mags are an advertisement vehicle..
I get MAN now and that's about all. No it's no different than any other mag it's just the one i've settled in to. Ya I'll keep getting it for who knows how long just because without it I wouldn't have known computer radios were invented.
I flip through them page for page and look at the adds just to see the newest ***** on the market.
I personally like the adds just for the fact that I see what is new that I can't live without.
I see guys complainin about the fact that the content sucks for their money, when they just spent the same amount on 4 props.
So to answer your questions in the most vague way possible.
Ya, one subsciption is worth the $25
More than one is a waste.
If ya just wanna learn, the internet is free (so to speak) and covers more than you'll ever need.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:33 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

If ads are all you are interested in MAN should do it. But the internet is cheaper.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:00 AM
3DFanatic

AMA mag is the most worthless magazine I've ever read. The only magazines I get are the AMA junk and RC Report. RC Report has some cool articles in it but if you like the glossy paper, it's not for you. I'd say get MAN. Maybe RCM, they have some good stuff sometimes.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:54 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I flip throught the AMA mag, but quit getting everything else. Nothing in them changes at all. There is a good article once in a blue moon, but not enough to justify getting it. If you want how to info, you can get it here faster and don't have to go looking for it in a mag. I wouldn't worry about it. Information here is just as good or better.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:09 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I get the AMA mag and think it's better than some of the glitzy crap out there. I've picked up a LOT of info from reading about the different disciplines in the hobby, from free flight rubber to control line speed. But if you don't enjoy reading about anything but 3D or your particular focus, I guess you wouldn't like Model Aviation.

I still get MAN because my subscription hasn't run out yet. A few years ago I subscribed in one of their multi-year deals, and I didn't find out but my wife payed the last couple year's "invoices" without mentioning it.

When I sarted in this hobby I read Model Aviation, RCM, MAN cover to cover every month (as well as others I'd could find.) These days I sometimes don't get through the two I get, and have a backlog. []

RC Report is the best out there (published in the US anyway), but it ain't glitzy like MAN, RCM and Fly RC.
Dennis-
Old 02-21-2004, 09:42 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Until I can take my computer into the 'John', I'll be reading as many mags as I can! There is always something to learn from others - even Model Aviation [sm=surprised.gif] .

Jerry
Old 02-21-2004, 11:22 PM
huggins

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Until I can take my computer into the 'John',
Jerry
But you can Jerry......get a laptop. Boy, wouldn't that be a pretty picture! NOT![:'(]
Old 02-22-2004, 02:20 AM
3DFanatic

Laptop, that was my suggestion too
Old 02-22-2004, 07:58 AM
jettstarblue

Though not the economical way to do it I pick up different ones at different times, just to see what's new........I quit subscribing when I got tired of reading; Joe moneybags here, and I'm gonna tell you how to put together the latest XYZ ARF,- first we start out by adding a bunch of extra weight, and since the manufacturer suggested a .40 two stroke, I chose the new Super Putter .91 for this project............

Jetts
Old 02-22-2004, 08:17 AM
hookedonrc

I get MAN, the AMA magazine, and Fly RC (The new one and at the "charter" price.). I am relatively new to this hobby (1 1/2 years) so I do get some value out of them. However, I tend to agree with the other posts here. There are some articles that I read because the subject is new to me. It may be the 3rd or fourth article on the same subject, but I wouldn't know. I do see myself dropping MAN because it is very similar to Fly RC and the cost of MAN is much higher. AMA will always be there because I am a member, but I spend more time looking at the pictures than anything else. One thing that I notice more than anything else is the ads are the same almost every month. One dealer in particular runs an ad that looks the same. It has pics of engines, planes, etc. It changes so little, that you feel like you are trying to find Waldo to see what's different. For now though, I am keeping all of my subscriptions.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:10 AM
3DFanatic

Fly RC is a cool mag. But they're a big too electric-oriented for my taste.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Blackie

Thanks everyone for your replies, after reading the responses seems most say, I'm not missing out on much.

Next time I'm in the local hobby shop I'll skim through a mag or two.

Thanks again
Blackie
Old 02-23-2004, 10:34 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I subscribe to several:

RCreport
Model aViation
RC Modeler
Model Aviation News

I like them all, and still read them from cover to cover. RCM and MAN are one night reads, MA takes two nights, but it takes a bout 5 days for me to get through a RC report (Still my favorite).

I just like to keep up to date with whats going on and the new products. I really enjoy the construction articals and learning how other people do unique things.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:54 PM
phread59

I subscribe to RCR. It is a worthwile magazine. There is a lot of info in there to glean. They also have a short lead time. If something happens you will usually se it there first. It is also humerous, so it is a good read. I do buy RCM or MAN once in a while if a product is reviewed I am interested in. Or if there is a good article. Mostly I buy them for the construction articles. Being as kits are dieing I want to build a plane i will end up having to build off of plans. So it is nice to see the construction articles.

Mark Shuman
Old 02-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you missing out?

Not since the covers became politically correct. I used to look forward to the model on the cover . . . and the planes were pretty nice, too.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:57 AM
sideshow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Until I can take my computer into the 'John'......
Hello....wifi!
Old 02-26-2004, 01:32 AM
Flyfalcons

I bought a subscription to Fly RC at the Hobby Visions show and so far feel it is worth the money. They seem to be trying to get a good variety of articles and reviews out and so far the issues I have received have been good. I don't subscribe to any other mags (except for receiving AMA's mag), but I did pick up an issue of MAN a couple years ago that had a very good article on getting started in gas engines, including a very thorough comparison chart of almost all the currently available gassers on the market. I'll see how the rest of my subscription to Fly RC goes before deciding on renewing or not. So far I think it's worth the money.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:41 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Blackie, you live in a cave or something? Why you asking others what your opinion of magazines should be? Buy one or two and read it and decide for yourself. Has hanging out over on TR and talking to the same six guys gotten that boring?
Old 02-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Matt Gosline

A question for the group: do any of the aforementioned mags have meaningful product reviews? In my limited experience, it seems that you have to do alot of reading in between the lines of the 'sanitized' reviews.

Usually I see something along the lines of the following for a review of a plane:

'Construction was typical for all planes of this class. The plane balanced perfectly with the recommended engine. Excellent flyer.'

Reviews of this sort burn my britches since nothing meaningful about the product is mentioned. Has anyone read a 'negative' (a.k.a. unbiased) product review? I understand that no one wants to anger the almighty advertizers, but give me a break!

-Matt
Old 02-26-2004, 06:04 PM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Hey Blackie, you live in a cave or something? Why you asking others what your opinion of magazines should be? Buy one or two and read it and decide for yourself. Has hanging out over on TR and talking to the same six guys gotten that boring?
Thats pretty cold, even for you BB. [X(]
Old 02-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Blackie

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Now BB that's no way to act, sounds like your lacking in your bottle feeding again or have you upgraded to mental therapy?

I wonder what's easiest? lets see

On one hand.
Get in truck drive to store, add ware and tare to vehicle, add risk to crashing, waste gas and purchase magazine. Drive back home more ware and tare, more gas wasted and more risk to collision.

Then on the other hand.
Sit at puter pull up RCU/TR, other and use the forums as they were intended for, asking question's and receiving answers? Truck sits in driveway.

Well geee, man this is a hard one. Let me see, one hand or other hand?

Oh and thats seven get it right.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:29 PM
BasinBum

Come on Blackie, doesn't your local hobby shop carry some of the model rags?You could always pick one up the next time your shopping there. I recommend MAN mostly for the ads or the new RC Flyer looks promising. You could alway upgrade your membership here and get a few free issues or do the Tower membership club and get a free subscription that way
Old 02-26-2004, 10:54 PM
aimmaintenance

Penthouse has wonderful reviews!!

A few adds too!
Old 02-26-2004, 10:59 PM
BasinBum

aimmaintenance, you're a perv but at least your consistant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.