Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What It's All About

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 01:20 PM
Burrito Bandito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What It's All About

Yesterday a local RC enthusiast took me out after work and let me fly his plane. I built models years ago (control line) and had a car (grasshopper) in '84 I think. Anyway, I am now old enough (hehe) to get serious about the hobby and have wanted to start building and flying for sometime.

After going to the local club and meeting some of the members who are all very enthusiastic and helpful about the hobby, I met another member here on RCU. He offered to let me "test drive" the hobby with his plane and equipment! What a deal. After several attempts to get together where either schedules or weather didn't cooperate, yesterday after work was the day.

I have flown over a thousand times in my mind, and the experience was 10 times better than I ever imagined!!! :sunsmiley What a thrill!!! After I got back in my car and was headed home, I started thinking about everything.....People who are excited to share their experiences both good and bad in order to help a fellow modeler, people who want new members to their hobby, people who will offer their time and equipment to help others share in the fun......you all get the idea.

Well, I AM HOOKED!!!!!! What happened yesterday with my first flight and all of the people I have met who genuinely wanted to welcome me into this great hobby is WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT.

Thanks Paul

John
Old 06-06-2002, 01:45 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Welcome aboard!

Enjoy, that's what it's all about. Unfortunately no one can guarantee that all people you meet in this hobby are quite as friendly as the ones you've met already but, I'm happy to say that most I've met are.

I returned to the hobby after a long hiatus too. Even better experience on returning.

Judging from your username, you might enjoy some of my planes. Check them out .
Old 06-06-2002, 02:07 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Make Room

Clear out the basement and any and all available storage space. You are now on the never ending quest to aquire assets and buying things you really don't need, but have to have them just in case. If you stay with this, you will have a friend in a hobby that can serve you well all throughout the years. You will never be bored again
Old 06-06-2002, 05:29 PM
Burrito Bandito

Jim - I have seen your triplane in some other threads and yes, my aspirations are to ultimately build and fly scale models. As a matter of fact my friend/instructor told me yesterday that I was the first student he had had that wanted to fly at "scale like" speed rather than slamming the throttle forward to the hilt. On about the second or third go-round of the pattern I was practicing linning up on the runway and throttling down.......at a VERY safe altitude I might add. To me that is what I want to get out of the hobby - building relatively realistic representations of real aircraft and then flying them in a relatively scale fashion. Of course, I gotta have a dog house and a lawnmower someday too.

Bob- You got that right! Have already been planning my pitch to the queen on why we should park in the driveway so I can use the garage for my shop (no basement here). The guest room is out because the in-laws still come and visit and the playroom is still just that - a playroom - for my daughter. Should I be concerned about relative humidity in the garage affecting the balsa in my models during construction? I was in the wood flooring industry, and it (humidity) was critical to the performance or lack thereof of a solid wood floor. Anyway, I have a drafting table top (8') that will be mounted on a frame that I will build. Drywall will probably be my work surface for ease of pinning and cabinets will go in on the wall above the table as I develop the need for additional storage space. Any ideas for the story I should use to my bride re: cars out of the garage?

Thanks for the responses this is gonna be a fun hobby!
Old 06-06-2002, 05:47 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Originally posted by Scale Dreamer
Any ideas for the story I should use to my bride re: cars out of the garage?
Of course everyone knows that parking a car in a garage traps it in a confined space with high humidity promoting rust!
And, everyone knows the health hazards of entering a confined space where carbon monoxide from exhaust fumes can build up!
Old 06-07-2002, 01:21 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

Hey John!!! I'm really glad we could finally hook up and get you up in the air!! I love to share this hobby with new people and I love to see their face after the first flight... Makes it all worth it... So much excitement...

Besides... as the instructor you get allot of satisfaction from helping people learn to fly...
Old 06-20-2002, 02:16 AM
crosswind

Those CA fumes are death on cars. I think it's probably illegal to park one near glue and balsa. Besides you might scratch the paint or something with a wingtip. Welcome to a wonderful hobby, may you enjoy it and the friends you'll make as much as I have!
Old 06-20-2002, 03:02 AM
Burrito Bandito

Monday was my 2nd day out and was doing take-off's. What a gass! Shot some approaches at a safe altitude too. Today (Wed) was my 3rd day out. We didn't get to stay long because we both had places to be, but the approaches were much lower, and if it wasn't so windy today, I would have asked him to let me land it.

I order my LT-40 in about 2 weeks. I will put a 46 in it, but was wondering the differences between the LA and the FX. Any opinions or clairification?

As far as CA fumes and car paint.....Great point! I'll give it a try.

Keep in touch.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:12 AM
crosswind

In a nutshell, get the FX. More money, but much more value. Sorry, I'm editing as I notice you wanted the differences. I'll let someone really familiar with each handle that, but I believe the FX is a twin ball bearing engine with twin needle adjustments as opposed to an air bleed carb and no ball bearings in the cheaper one.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:34 AM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

There are two main differences between the FX and the LA. The FX has two ball bearings to support the crank shaft. The LA has bushings which create a little more drag, but at a weight savings. The other main difference is the carburator... The FX has a dual needle carb for tuning low end and high end. The LA has an air bleed carb that only has a high end needle and an airbleed screw.... The idea is to "leak" in a little air to lean out the mixture during idle and transition..... I don't like the air bleed carb setup... hard to adjust for optimal throttle transition.

Bottom line.... The LA is cheaper and lighter, but produces less power. The FX is more powerfull, slightly heavier and more versatile. The FX is a motor you can use on something else besides a trainer... the LA isn't worth much outside of trainer land... Just my 2 cents

If it's the cost of the LA that is attractive, look at the Thunder Tiger 46 or even the Tower 46. Both better motors than the LA and much less expensive than the OS.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:26 AM
vegas mossie

Spend the money, and get the 46 fx. Not only will you fly it for years, but they are tough as nails. I slammed my trainer into the runway, ( paved) and the motor was fine. I have it in my FW 190 now. MHO Loren
Old 06-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Unstable

Originally posted by Scale Dreamer
but the approaches were much lower, and if it wasn't so windy today, I would have asked him to let me land it.

hardest part about landing the first time is getting the nerve to try it. if you truely think you are ready then go for it.

my first landing was absolutely nerve wracking. I kept imaginging the plane stalling, hitting a tree, slamming into the ground, everything but landing... well I greased that one to a perfect 3 pointer . I still had to sit down after it because I was shaking so bad... but thats when I truely felt that "I can do this". I got my "pilot rating" at the field that next weekend and have been out there at least twice a week since.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:47 AM
Burrito Bandito

Unstable,

I think my confidence level yesterday was high enough that I might have tried it if it was my plane. Wouldn't want to make tooth picks of my instructor's bird though.

I think one or two more trips out with the same degree of confidence and less wind and I'll give it a shot if he doesn't mind. BTW, if you didn't pick up on it, my instructor is Paul in the posts above....THANKS AGAIN PAUL.

Thank's everybody let's hear what you think about second planes....not that I'm getting ahead of myself or anything!!!
Old 06-21-2002, 11:00 AM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default .

hi all, i am sitting here chuckling to myself in TENNESSEE as i was in same situation as scale is. i started in upstairs guest room but when i fired up a saito 180 on the balcony in a dp ultimate (just to hear it) wifey said she didn't want any harleys in the house. this ULTIMATELY cost me the price of completely redecorating the upstairs ...and i mean top to bottom.....then i was relegated to my half of the garage. well it gets warm down here so i had to redo garage with air and all to make a decent work area to accomadate the 20 some odd planes i have accumulated in 3 yrs. but it is a great hobby to have scale and you will have a ball. one thing though...if ya can go with a 4 stroke on yur kadet and if possible always have 2 planes so you are never grounded...... -Tinman-
Old 06-21-2002, 11:14 AM
mrbonk

Originally posted by tinman
.....then i was relegated to my half of the garage.
I've just ordered a 7.5mx9m (25'x30') garage, which will only have one car in it, so I can get my stuff out of the house Presently, I have my gear scattered through 2 rooms plus the single garage that's built on to the house. My wife is not amused With my 2 most recent models, I took over her ironing room/spare bedroom because the planes are too big to keep in the garage, so she's as anxious about getting the shed as I am I can't wait to have the extra space I need.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:57 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Space is a premium.

I currently have two workshops. One occupies a portion of the basement the other is the 2nd story of my 28' square garage (sorry no pics of this one yet). Now I'm eyeing up the second bay of that garage for a homebuilt.

Still my wife doesn't mind. I built her an office/craft room, a toolshed (to keep lawn stuff out of my 2nd workshop). a playroom and a playhouse for the kids.... had to have some excuse for all that woodworking equipment.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:00 PM
Burrito Bandito

Funny you should mention a shed.......

Just last night I was telling the queen that I thought I should order some plans for a shed so we could store the lawn equipment, christmas decorations, old bikes etc. Privately, I was thinking that it would give me an additional storage room within the garage to keep things and spread out when I needed to.

That queen.......she IS a smart one and she read right through my ploy. In the middle of my pitch, she blurted......"So, you gonna put some kinda work bench or something in there?" Got the green light though.......probably do it this fall or winter.

Tinman - I have thought about the 4 Stroke route a little. Last week I was out at the field looking, and 2 guys were flying a LT 40 with a 4 stroke. Not sure what size it was but it looked VERY underpowered. Any suggestions? Remember this is a 70" span plane. Cost will surely be a factor, so I would be interested in hearing what you and others have to say about the merits of your favorite brands.

Thanks Guys,
John
Old 06-21-2002, 01:58 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Default 4 stroke

the best would be imo a ys63. i have one in a cub and it is by far my most dependable engine......just don't fire it up in yur guest room ok...hehe -Tin-