Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

club speakers

Old 02-24-2004, 05:28 PM
glenndorfman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default club speakers

[Santa Barbara rc club with 60+ members looking for speakers on any rc airplane related subjects for our meetings on first Thursday night of each month at SB airport facility. Manufacturers, old salts, anyone with stories to tell, products to promote are invited. Glenn Dorfman 805-965-1046>:]
Old 02-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: club speakers

If this works, please send me the outline or silibus that you use.
I would like to do the same thing for my clubs.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:56 PM
aimmaintenance

Whats it pay?

I'll come up with somethin..

HMMMM....
The correlation between the AMA tail touching regulations and the Bill Clinton administration.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:39 AM
Geistware

I figure it pays in fellowship and growth in the hobby
Old 02-25-2004, 07:33 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geistware,
Our club tries to have a "speaker" at most meetings. No syllabus, just try to limit it to about 20 minutes (the attention span of most club members ).

We have two guys in our club that compete in Top Gun every year, actually a third will be going this year, and one or another or both usually speak once each year. They'll bring in their latest project an discuss documentation, how they build from their own plans, covering/finishing systems....

We'll sometimes have someone real ggod with Monokote do demonstrations on covering techniques; a couple months back myself and another membr did a demo on repairing crash damage (); and last year, I did a session on park flyers/small electrics mainly dealing with the electronics.

We've had combat pilots from other clubs, kit manufacturers, trying to get a jet jock to talk on turbines, and a rep from Yellow Aircraft (which is close by).

Every month we also encourage everyone to bring in their latest project to talk about. We talk about modifications to kits, or construction (or assembly) problems with kits or ARF's, mini-reviews essentially. We generally only get one or two a month, but sometimes five or six, they only take about 5 minutes each.

It helps keep the few people that show up for meetings coming back.
Dennis-
Old 02-25-2004, 09:51 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy me a round trip ticket to Calif, and I'll talk about anything you like (Hell, I can do a half hour on my Thumb if I had to).

But seroiusly, At a former club, at each meeting, someone would volunteer (Whether they wanted to or not ) to give a short talk or presentation at the next meeting. It was really quite a popular thing. We would share anything from building techniques to ideas for the field etc.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Why not invite your local AMA VP?
Old 02-25-2004, 01:30 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

We almost always have a show and tell for any new airplanes. Member who brings one gets the oohs & ahs and almost always has a Q & A about the model. When two or three new airplanes are there it can take up more than the 20 minute attention span of most of us.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Geistware

I would welcome a discussion here on topics that you have found successful or those that you have found didn't hold the interest of your members.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:13 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I'm available for speaking appearances. I can speak about the famous Sepulvada Basin, being a recognized poster on RCU or my experiance building remote control models and full scale aviation special effects for major motion pictures. I just don't want to drive 2 hours for a club meeting, heck I won't drive 30 minutes to go to my own club meetings.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:49 AM
Geistware

You work in the industry. Tape it and send it to him!

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

I'm available for speaking appearances. I can speak about the famous Sepulvada Basin, being a recognized poster on RCU or my experiance building remote control models and full scale aviation special effects for major motion pictures. I just don't want to drive 2 hours for a club meeting, heck I won't drive 30 minutes to go to my own club meetings.