Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Tower Hobbies Gift System

Old 02-26-2004, 11:55 PM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Hobbies Gift System

Hello jsut wanted to share my experience with Tower gift order.

After a year in this hobby, I decided to make a surprise to my brother and bought the Nexstar and all the field equipment.

Everything was fine to this point, I love shopping from Tower. (Personal choice)

They shipped everything from IL except that red Hobicco recoil fuel tube which was from NV.

And the tube was supposed to arrive later than everything else to TX.

Of course it arrived early, and my brother was like what the heck is this, what am I going to do with it, and called me since it was from Tower.

I tried to tell him that something was secrewed in my PC whcih has automatic address fill and instead of putting my address for an order it put his instead. What a lie? I don't know where it came from.

But then my brother says that there is message in the packing slip for a gift and reads my message back to me. "You are working on saturdays and I am inviting you to this great hobby."

Well at that point, he started laughing, and I told him that he is going to get a Trainer with everything tommorrow.

Man, just the red the recoil fuel tubing and the surprize is over.

All the gift orders must be shipped from same location or at least they should give the opprotunity to delay some part of it.

I would prefer him to open a big box and see a plane not a red recoil tubing.

Any experience like this?
Old 02-27-2004, 06:28 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Tower Hobbies Gift System

That is a good point I have never thought about. I think it tells you the shipping locations and charges before you finalize the order. I will have to check that next time.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:51 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Operationally that would be difficult to implement I would think. To anticipate shipping times from each warehouse accurately and then on every gift order you have to know which items need to arrive first. To ship everything from one location isn't always possible since one warehouse may be out of stock so rather than hold up an order I am assuming they ship from the alternate location any missing items.

On the bright side of it your brother is about to get hooked into the hobby and spend all his waking hours building, flying, surfing RCU or thinking about RC
Old 02-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That happens often on my orders, too. I'll get a couple dozen items and there is always ONE item that comes from the Nevada warehouse in Reno. Last time it was a $2 pack of solder washers, time before that $1 pack of Sullivan fuel hose retainer wires. I guess in the long run it must save them on warehousing costs? They're getting killed on postage from my experience.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:09 PM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Tower, told me that it will be shipped from NV, before order confirmation but the estimated time of arrival was 1 more week than the plane, so it was okay, till it showed up early. Anyway good point is my brother is going to start RC airplanes and also RCU. He will see his plane hopefuly tonigh, it is on Fedex truck now.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:26 AM
BaronSchwab

LOL. Great story man.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:34 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought you were going to complain that Tower's "Gift Certificate" that they commonly offer us in their promotions, has various limitations how you can and can't use it. (so thus, it's not a real "Gift Certificate" like you and I get at the stores)

But gosh, your experience is even more of a dissapointment then that.

But I'm not bad mouthing Tower. -Tower's not perfect, but I still think they're great folks to deal with.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:11 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Just be glad it's not shipped DHL and they leave it at the wrong house and you have to get Billy Hell to raise hell at HL.....oops, wrong thread, never mind.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:15 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Well, if I ever send someone a gift from Towers, I will remember this thread!
Old 03-01-2004, 05:06 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frankly, I think that that is a cute story. I reminds me of when I bought a girlfriend a puppy over which she had gone bananas . I could not very well box the dog and give it to her at work so I boxed a puppy collar and a little chew toy. The message was not lost and it was a very happy moment. The puppy was whelped a week later and we picked it up.

I sincerely hope that you brother enjoys flying. You did a really nice thing.

Mark
Old 03-06-2004, 08:20 PM
phread59

Did I mention that you and I are long,long very lost brothers?(LOL).

Mark Shuman

Ps when will my recoil tube come?(LOL)