Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What's your flying weather like?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What's your flying weather like?

Old 02-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Mac-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your flying weather like?

Hi everybody!

Here in the UK the weather is still hovering just above freezing in the daytime and around minus 6C at night. Probably not too bad when compared to what some other countries are experiencing.

So please tell us what's your flying weather like at present?
Old 02-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Nitroaddict

Default RE: What's your flying weather like?

Well - For the past several weeks, other than the annual trade winds, the weather here in Florida has been great. Temps have been around 80F during the day with plenty of sunshine. The winds have been a bit of a problem (10-15mph) for my small electrics, but I have still been able to fly for a few hours everyday after work. This all changed on Monday, however, when someone in the heaven's turned off the heat. I havn't seen the sunshine in 4 days. Today it is currently 44F with about 20-30mph winds that will blow your eyebrows right off your face. Weatherman said it was supposed to be sunny and warm starting today, but it looks like he was smoking something other than cigarettes.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Minus 6C? Lets see, that's somewhere between 32ºF and 5/8 of the flight of an unladen African Sparrow . . . Ummmmm?

At this moment it is three degrees above freezing and sunny.

Most of February has been between 10 and 20ºF. Cold enough that by the third flight the engines are reluctant to start, the thermos of coffee is cold and the fingers have balled up into cold clubs.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:52 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Charlie, can that sparrow carry coconuts?

It's been hovering above freezing here too, mid 30's to low 40's during the day, low to mid 20's at night.

The good news is, the snow is really melting

The bad news is, March is often our snowiest month
Old 02-27-2004, 03:08 PM
Pilotsmoe

It looks like it will be around 60 on sat and sun. with 5-10 mph winds on sunday. This has been a pretty dry winter, haven't got any rain or snow in about 3 weeks now... it about 45 now with 10 mph winds. It was mostly sunny this Febuary, unlike last year(I hate snow[>:])
Old 02-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Pilotsmoe

ORIGINAL: Nitroaddict

Well - For the past several weeks, other than the annual trade winds, the weather here in Florida has been great. Temps have been around 80F during the day with plenty of sunshine. The winds have been a bit of a problem (10-15mph) for my small electrics, but I have still been able to fly for a few hours everyday after work. This all changed on Monday, however, when someone in the heaven's turned off the heat. I havn't seen the sunshine in 4 days. Today it is currently 44F with about 20-30mph winds that will blow your eyebrows right off your face. Weatherman said it was supposed to be sunny and warm starting today, but it looks like he was smoking something other than cigarettes.
Man, that's colder than it is here[X(]
Old 02-27-2004, 03:31 PM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yesterday was great, 60 deg, wind SW at 3 mph, plane in the back of the truck, and then I get called to go out of town for work.[:@]

Today is the same weather, but the same workload[:@] but tommorrow, Saturday, my day off, the numbers will reverse themselves. It will be 3 degrees above and the wind will gust at 60 mph. Never fails eh?
Old 02-27-2004, 04:01 PM
Nitroaddict

Pilotsmoe - Our windchill right now drops the temps to almost freezing. This is unheard of for us, ecspecially at this time of year. Trust me, I am not a happy camper.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:06 PM
donhef

"Charlie, can that sparrow carry coconuts?"

I don't know, is it African or European?

Here in lovely Central NJ, temp today was 40 degrees, 10 mph winds ands sunny! This weekend it is supposed to be in the upper 50's w/sunshine........no rain until tuesday............unfortunetly, I won't be able to fly until next weekend....Sea Cadet Drill weekend this weekend.......

Remember. it isn't how the sparrow grips the husk, it's a simple matter of weight ratios...............................
Old 02-27-2004, 04:27 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I almost hate to tell you ours. It is 60F - 16.6 C with winds of 14mph out of the Southeast. Tomorrow Forecasted: 60F - 15.5C, but the winds will be around 19-20 out of the Southeast. It will depend how gusty it is on whether I get up or not, but I certainly plan to try. On Sunday, I am not sure if I will fly or not, one of our club members has qualified for a turbine license and will be flying his Euro-fighter on its maiden flight. Many of us are going to a field about 42 miles SE of Tulsa to watch. I will have my digital camera and will post some pics if they come out good.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Pilotsmoe

ORIGINAL: Nitroaddict

Pilotsmoe - Our windchill right now drops the temps to almost freezing. This is unheard of for us, ecspecially at this time of year. Trust me, I am not a happy camper.
It won't last. 40 is cold for here for this time of the year. The norm is 50. I was talking to my Grandfather in sarasota about an hour ago and he said it was about 55. You must be in north FL?
Old 02-27-2004, 06:26 PM
Nitroaddict

About 3 hours north of Sarasota, plus I am inland, while he is on the coast, where the ocean moderates the temps. I live in Orlando.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Azcat59

We have had one minor storm after another this winter, so it is cold to us. Today was overcast and a high of 58 I believe. Our normal high for this time of year is 73, with a low of about 50.
Why, it's so cold I won't even go out in my shop to build anything 'til it warms up

Clair
Old 02-27-2004, 08:43 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Here's a shot from this morning of Joe Kelly's new Cap right before the maiden. We are not used to having big fluffly clouds as a backdrop to fly against and it was real nice, 60's and 5-10mph winds from the North which means the field was turned around and a little colder than usual but compared to what most are dealing with I'll take it.

My last three weekend consisted of:
1) A two hour trip to a deserted airfield that had a spontaneous funfly when ten of us showed up from the Basin and met about 20 locals from Bakersfield and beatiful weather.

2) My first IMAC contest here in L.A. with beatiful weather.

3) Pylon race where we just beat the rain but still got in 5 rounds.

I flew today because it rained all week and is supposed to be windy (20-30mph) all weekend. So all things considered I feel pretty lucky to live here when half you guys have snow up to the windowsill and can only fly the simulator. Earthquakes, fires, riots and floods are a small price to pay for year round flying.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62208.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	105760  
Old 02-27-2004, 09:03 PM
Cessna26

Well here in utah I have one thing to say, LOTS AND LOTS OF SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't fly during the main part of winter. It is cold but I have seen colder. Big power skiis on landing gear would be a good idea.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:10 PM
mikenlapaz

9PM local and it is cooling offto 70 F Hi 70's lite breeze today. Had Northerlies for several days and had to put long pants and shoes on!
Old 02-28-2004, 03:24 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rained out for the last two weeks....[]
Old 02-28-2004, 07:25 AM
jpmcclary
My Feedback: (6)

Here in Punta Gorda FL, We expect, March 4th to 7th, low 80s for the JR CHALLENGE, light winds, maybe some clouds and over 70 pilots competing for some great prizes and national recognition..
Old 02-28-2004, 08:13 AM
jettstarblue

It's cold but I still jumped into Lake Erie, and flew on the same day!

Jetts

Name:	Lj21606.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	105874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71731.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	105875  
Old 02-28-2004, 09:17 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Jetts,
Maybe if you stop losing planes in the lake you wouldn't have to jump in to retrieve them.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Mr. Canadian

well here in canada on the vancouver island in british columbia it has just been 13 degrees celcius with 5 km winds for the past week which means great flying weather
Old 02-28-2004, 11:27 PM
lord lucan

"The white eagle of the north flies overhead.....![X(] What is this fluffy white stuff...? two inches of which brings the country to a standstill.....! not to worry..summer's on its way......

N.B.. Two types of weather constitute a Brittish summer... One when its raining...and one when its about to rain..
Regards..Dave.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:03 AM
jettstarblue

B.B.

I was shot down I swear! Someone musta' turned on their Tx in the pits.
Photo 1 is me saying "first one to find the plane gets to go get ice cream!"
Photo 2 is the resulting rush to help.

Jetts

Name:	Vt58283.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	106188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29625.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	106189  
Old 02-29-2004, 08:11 AM
Jim C.

NASTY.... you jumped into Lake Erie...[:'(][:'(][:'(] they named it Erie for a reason!!!!! hope your up to date with your shots!!!!! [X(]
Old 02-29-2004, 10:02 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this weekend has been a bust. Was supposed to be 60+ yesterday, but it never made it. The 20-25 mph gusty winds out of the Southeast kept both the temperature and flying down to none for me. Today, oh.....it's even better!.....winds out of the ESE (East Southeast) running a minimum of 20mph gusting to above 30mph.

The only good thing about this weekend is our Club President (from last year) was brave enough to tackle the winds and fly his maiden flight with his new Euro-fighter jet. It was a sight to watch, but he did have some problems. The left canard fiberglass rod broke off sending the canard into the canopy which separated from the plane. (In my opinion, the manufacturer should make this right.) He was going downwind on a low pass when it broke. The canopy separated hitting the vertical fin and disintegrated. (Another thing I think the mfgr should replace. He did get it down in one piece except for a gear door came off when the gear was down. (easy fix)

Here are a couple of pics of the plane. I think he did a great job on it.

Name:	Sp45375.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	106206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22195.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	106207  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.