Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

$8-900.....A HELI, OR A GAS PLANE??

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

$8-900.....A HELI, OR A GAS PLANE??

Old 02-28-2004, 07:49 PM
iflynething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $8-900.....A HELI, OR A GAS PLANE??

I just don't know what to do....I have only 2 planes, and am SERIOUSLY (not just saying, "oh I'm think of......but serious) going to either get a gas plane or a heli...(a Rappy 30).......But, if I had the money for a Helicopter (and new one w/ all the fixins': about $8-900) then I will be VERY tempted the get a gas plane......like a percentage on......like a WH Extra 28% 300...or something like that.....I'm also considering a Kangke Laser 2000 for gas.....

I know......"Goodness Michael, you only have two planes, and you want to go to heli, or gas...........what are you thinking??".....Well, I could have 50 planes, and not one a gasser........We all have to step up a notch sometime........and about the helicopter........they are just different, so it doesn't matter how many plane you have here......

HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm......

Like I said, if I had the money needed for a heli, then I'll be very tempted to get another, bigger, better plane......BUT I REALLY WANT A HELI.......

BTW, what is everyone spending (or what would i spend) on a Kangke Laser 2000 Gas, with the engine and electonics....I know that usually people use pull-pull on the rudder, and sometimes 2 recievers, and/or batteries.....???....THANKS....Would I spend more on a Laser fully set up "standardly" (in my dictonary: not spiffed up w/ digital servos, or hi-tec stuff) or a heli "standardly" set up.......

I'll get the money this summer by working my @$....i mean butt off cutting grass and washing cars.....

HAPPY FLYING.....
Old 02-28-2004, 09:45 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: $8-900.....A HELI, OR A GAS PLANE??

They're both fun, but planes are still planes (and yes I fly both), whether they're gas or glow. Gas planes are more fun than glow (I think), but heli's are a whole new challenge. If you want to try something completely different, get the heli. If you just want a more convenient and more capable airplane, get the gasser. You already know that you like flying planes and there won't be any risk of sinking hundreds of dollars into something that you may not like. You've definitly got a tough decision to make. If I had to choose between a gas plane or a heli, I'd compromise and get a gasser heli.

Ben
Old 02-28-2004, 10:00 PM
iflynething

ORIGINAL: bdphil

....to choose between a gas plane or a heli, I'd compromise and get a gasser heli.

Ben
OOHHHhhhh man.....you couldn't have said it better.....that was great

Well, I definately couldn't afford that at ALL.....I really want a heli......I'm probably going to get a heli......I want the challenge of flying a heli........AND THERE IS NNOO POSSIBILITY THAT I WILL GET BORED WITH A HELI....I dont' have to worry about spending alotta money and not be interested or just getting out of it.......that won't be a problem at all.....

I want a gasser [plane] because they just sound SSOOOOO good!!!!...I have a few that fly at my field and I love the hear them fly......!!

Well, anyways, how much is a DA-50 that would be used in the Laser if I got one.........??
Old 02-28-2004, 11:23 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure, but I believe you're going to eat up most of that $600 to $800 on a DA 50. (Probably $500 anyway.)

Why not buy a smaller, electric heli to try it. Decent flying electrics can be bought, fully functional (with collective) for around $300. It might not be quite as capable as a 30 to 60 size glow heli, but it won't cost you $150 to $200 every time you catch a blade or the tail boom on the ground either.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Dennis-
Old 02-29-2004, 12:57 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

why, gasser of course
Old 02-29-2004, 07:04 AM
EagleOne

Wow, that's a tough decision....

I'm too interested in helis, but here in Brazi they are very expensive (in the $1500 range for a Raptor 30 with engine and electronics, not counting the Tx). And since the heli spare parts are also more expensive, the pucket factor is higher too. But on the other way I would be able to fly in my backyard whenever I wanted (wind and weather allowing of course) something that I wouldn't be able to do with a gasser plane (which is in my wish list too).....

So, for my case, I decided upon gasser planes. For my birthday I'm getting a Futaba 9C and hopefully a ZDZ 40 engine. From there I just have to find a way to get the money needed for the servos (2 CS 65 for the ailerons and one CS 70MG for the rudder) and the material to build the plane (I love scratch building)..... Will come out at the same price as a heli, but I think it will be more fun to me and they sound awesome!! Helis don't have that bass sound (except gasser ones).......

So, if you go with a gasser, get one in the 27% percent range which is simpler and don't need twin systems (batt, rx, switchs and so on), with a 40cc engine (for wild 3D stuff, for sport flying a 30cc will do) and CS 65 servos for the ailerons and elevators and a CS70MG for the rudder, with a plain standard one on the throttle. By doing this, you will spend around $300 for all the radio equipment (servos, rx and batt). Not cheap, but not expensive either.

Just my opinion though. With helis I can't give you any advice since I only know them superficially (got interested in them after seeing Alan Szabo flying....WOW, that guy can really fly a chopper, before I thought they just hovered and flew around in circles) But to get to that level of skill......It's gonna take me lots of time. So I'd better stick with planes, which I already have a considerate level of skill.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Jim C.

my advice for helis, is STAY AWAY FROM THE LITTLE ELECTRIC ONES.... they will taint your experiences regarding helis. helis are a blast. i would recomend the sceadu or raptor... altho im not a raptor fan, they are a tiny bit cheaper to fix, but i think the build quality of the sceadu is better. i would love to get a gas airplane, but i wouldnt get the extra or cap type planes... too much at risk. to have them snap themselves into the ground would just suck.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Mettler1

#1 Crasher without fixin money.]

Learning to fly heli's needs plenty of fixin' money. Tip one over and be prepared to buy new rotor blades,maybe a new rotor head,bent rotor shaft and maybe a tail rotor plus tail boom! Heliocoptors are high maintainence machines, scale or full size. Check out the price of replacment parts. If you can afford it than by all means get one. As for me I'll keep my money for my next airplane.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:47 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Good luck setting up a new gasser on that budget. Realisticly your looking at $1200-$1500 new. I'd consider buying a used Heli for your first one since any bad parts are just replaced and there seems to be some pretty good deals on used helis, at least around where I live.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:10 PM
iflynething

ORIGINAL: EagleOne

...birthday I'm getting a Futaba 9C.......

So, if you go with a gasser, get one in the 27% percent range which is simpler and don't

......them after seeing Alan Szabo flying....WOW, that guy can really fly a chopper, before I thought they just hovered and flew around in circles)

About the 9C, that was exactly what I was going to get, or really planning on getting.....it will be my third and FINAL radio after I get it (of course if something better doesn't come out (and i don't want a $1,500 9Z))......I have the 4VF that came with my Trainer, and the I got a 6EXA after I finished my Somethin' Extra...and I hate to just get another radio just when I just got one last month in January, but I'll turn around and sell the 6EXA or just keep it as a back-up radio.....

Actually, I was hoping, if I DID get a gasser, then I would get a 28% Extra from Wild Hare...I've heard some good things about that company, and would eventually like to try them out, along with Carden.....(but that's a little on down the line.......)

Alan is a very talented person......very good indeed.....I would really like to see him in person...I've only seen him on video that I got here from RCU and other sites.....INCREDIBLE

I am probably going to get a heli, but because it would be a change, and a HUGE leap and a LARGE challange to me......(and the good thing is, I have to little boy about 9 or 10 that likes to watch me fly and taxi in the neighborhood (well just taxi here) and it would be even better if I got really good at flying a heli and could just go out in the front yard and hover forever....(until the fuel ran out or course!!)

I DUNNO.....I'll make the final when I have the money.....I've never had that much money at one time, and it will be exciting when I get it, but it'll be spent fast on a gasser or a heli.............................................. .............
Old 02-29-2004, 04:35 PM
EagleOne

For me the 9C is gonna be the radio I will stick with for a long time. My actual radio is the first one I bought, a Futaba 6XAs which is 4 years old now (I bought a little after it was released) and although a great radio, for a gasser plane it will be outgrown. The 9Z is just too much, in the price and in the functions. It's just for top-level pilots which need every of the countless functions it has got, perfect for jets and high-end helis. For me, the 9C is what I need with something to spare.

Yeah, helis are completely different from planes, it's like water and wine but fun too, I guess.

Take your time, and think about everything before making the decision, which one you are going to like most, enjoy most and so on. Then you decide on what's better for you.

BTW, I've seen Alan Szabo flying just from vids too, but that is inspiring!!! Truly amazing what he can make with a heli. Total control over it. In fact, it's more fun to watch him flying than Chip Hyde, because Chip's flying (not saying he is a bad flyer) is more precise and gentle, with a few high risk low maneuvers coupled with slow moving ones at great altitude, so it has less "action". Alan's vids are "pure action"!!!
Old 02-29-2004, 07:40 PM
racer-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

JUST GET A GASSER DUDE!

lol ALLAROUNDFLYER
Old 03-01-2004, 12:28 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Buddy of mine bought a Chief Katana 140 and put a ZDZ 40 on it. Total cost: $1000
Old 03-01-2004, 12:48 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: 3DFanatic

Buddy of mine bought a Chief Katana 140 and put a ZDZ 40 on it. Total cost: $1000
He should have saved some money and got an OS 1.60 or spent some more and got a bigger plane. He has about one pound more than he should on the nose of that plane. There is no way around the cost of a 1/4 scale gasser if you want a sturdy plane with light wing loading. They are not cheap and whenever I see someone try and cut corners thinking they will have a good flyer they end up disapointed. Look at anyone who is truley happy with their setup and has flown other planes to know the differance and you will typically see: 50cc DA, BME, Brison, ZDZ / 78-80 inch wingspan / all up wieght of less than 16-1/2lbs. There is a whole bunch of planes in this catagory and more coming out all the time but in order to set them up properly you're looking at $1200-$1500.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:57 AM
ausheli

Mettler, crash a plane and what have you got, firewood and confetti, at least heli's can be rebuilt fairly easily
Old 03-01-2004, 03:13 PM
iflynething

I just want to get the heli, for a change of pace.....IT WILL BE DIFFERENT....It would be great to own one too.....!!!