Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Need new workshop input please

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Need new workshop input please

Old 02-28-2004, 10:49 PM
Bobman
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new workshop input please

Hi all,

My wife & I are about to begin construction of our new house in the spring and (bless her heart!) she's allowed me to build a dedicated 15 x 22 attached workshop with cathedral ceilings in it. It'll be well insulated but built on a concrete slab. One of the big problems I've had with indoor (basement) and attached garage shops in the past has been dust / fumes getting into the living area. This one will be completely isolated from the house and will have a ventilation fan installed to prevent this.

Now for the problem.... what is the best way to heat it? I'm looking at radiant floor heat, but the ystems seem rather expensive for just heating the shop area, even if I decide to incluse the 22 x 22 garage also. The house will have forced air / AC, and I'm also looking at a Modine ceiling mount unit (forced air) but don't particularly like the idea of an open flame with balsa dust & such.

Currently in my shop I use a wall mount gas unit with a blower (from Home Depot) that works OK, but I make sure I turn it off if I'm going to sand / spray, etc. Other problem with it is it seems to put a lot of humidity into the air while its running.

I live in the cold north east and do quite a bit of work in my shop, so reliable heat is a must. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
Old 02-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Need new workshop input please

I will seal the house well and use a wall mount natural gas heater. You should have low humidity in the winter time do to the heating and drying of the air.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:03 PM
aimmaintenance

I can't speak for your budget on this project but a radient floor system will be "WORTH THE MONEY!" Use the hot water method not the electric mat system.

Every job that I have been involved in that my customer has requested this method has later told me that it was the best money they spent. I've even been tempted to tear out my 10 year old garage floor just to put this in.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:29 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have low humidity in the winter time do to the heating and drying of the air.
We have very low humidity in the winter withOUT heating and drying the air! Average winter humidity in the northeast runs around 20%.

In spite of that, I'd agree with a gas "unit heater". If you can afford the in floor radiant heat it's pretty nice though.
Dennis-
Old 02-29-2004, 03:27 AM
Zombie

ORIGINAL: Bobman
she's allowed me to build a dedicated 15 x 22 attached workshop with cathedral ceilings in it.
Bobman, is there a particular reason for 15 x 22? A 16 x 24 will not cost you much more. Construction materials are sized on even feet and 16 or 24 inch centers. Sheet goods like sheathing and drywall are 8 feet long. Most siding is 12 or 16 feet long. What's all this mean? With a 15 x 22 feet shop you'll be paying for most the extra materials, for a 16 x 24, but cutting a foot or two off and chucking them. The same goes for your garage. I'd make it 24 x 24. 22 feet is just too tight for a gargae, anyway. If you run the numbers I think you'll find the per square foot cost for the larger units will probably be less than the smaller ones - although the larger units may cost a bit more due to the shingles and slab increase.

As for the heating: if you can swing the money for the radiant floor heat, do it. You'll love it! The slab, once heated up in the winter will hold the heat wonderfully. Just make sure the slab site is prepared properly and the concrete work is done right. You don't want a heaving floor with radiant heat. If you want the garage heated, extend the system to the garage on a different zone with its own thermostat. That way you can keep the heat down a bit there a bit if you care to - or turn it up when you want to work on the car in the middle of winter.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:24 AM
2 Piece
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DBCherry

You should have low humidity in the winter time do to the heating and drying of the air.
We have very low humidity in the winter withOUT heating and drying the air! Average winter humidity in the northeast runs around 20%.

Actually, if he is using a "propane gas" heater he is putting humidity in the air. Propane adds mositure to the air while "natural gas" will dry the air.
2 Piece

In spite of that, I'd agree with a gas "unit heater". If you can afford the in floor radiant heat it's pretty nice though.
Dennis-
Old 02-29-2004, 09:23 AM
SDR-Hammer

Zombie makes some excellent points and I agree on all aspects. If you do go to the expense of installing a boiler for in floor radiant, defiantly add a zone for the garage too. A third zone could also be added for a portion of the driveway as a snow melt system. Had a customer do this a few years ago and had an opportunity to see it in action, very cool.

If you do go with radiant do your homework and find a contractor with plenty of experience with this application. There is a lot more involved than just running tubing every few feet across the room. Learned a lot more than I care to ever know about in floor radiant due to an incompetent installer, don't make the same mistake.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:32 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Bobman

Hi all,

My wife & I are about to begin construction of our new house in the spring and (bless her heart!) she's allowed me to build a dedicated 15 x 22 attached workshop with cathedral ceilings in it. It'll be well insulated but built on a concrete slab. One of the big problems I've had with indoor (basement) and attached garage shops in the past has been dust / fumes getting into the living area. This one will be completely isolated from the house and will have a ventilation fan installed to prevent this.

Now for the problem.... what is the best way to heat it? I'm looking at radiant floor heat, but the ystems seem rather expensive for just heating the shop area, even if I decide to incluse the 22 x 22 garage also. The house will have forced air / AC, and I'm also looking at a Modine ceiling mount unit (forced air) but don't particularly like the idea of an open flame with balsa dust & such.

Currently in my shop I use a wall mount gas unit with a blower (from Home Depot) that works OK, but I make sure I turn it off if I'm going to sand / spray, etc. Other problem with it is it seems to put a lot of humidity into the air while its running.

I live in the cold north east and do quite a bit of work in my shop, so reliable heat is a must. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
Hello Bob
When you go to pour the slab, just attach a continous 3/4" pex tubing to the 6x6 reinforcing wire and stub up though the floor in a closet. make sure you use chairs to hold the 6x6 in the center of your slab! then install a 80 gal. hot water heater with a aqua booster water pump controled by a thermostat. You would then fill the loop with a antifreeze mixture. Very simple and very effective!

After you have the slab area is excavaated, you would lay down 3/4" rigid insulation, heavy mil plastic, 6x6, tubing, then pour.

Good luck which ever way you go!
Old 02-29-2004, 09:49 AM
heli001

Bob,

Another thought about the slab..... If you are going to have a center work table, it might be a good idea to put some floor outlets in selected locations around the slab. This way, you wont have to have an extension cord running from your work bench to the center table. And you can NEVER have enough outlets.....think about plug strip.......

As to the heat, check with your local gas company, as they will probably almost give you the heating system for signing up with them. Most gas companies have some very attractive heating packages and the consultation with them will cost you nothing. The in slab piping is great, but you have to be very careful with the installation, as one leaking pipe will render the system useless and you will have to jack hammer the slab for repairs. The thin walled continuous tubing used is VERY susceptable to damage on installation and pouring of concrete.

Now is the time to exercise all of your options......most of us wish we could build a workroom from scratch.....!
Old 03-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Bobman

Excellent ideas from everyone, I appreciate all the input. Just a few things to add here:

Geistware: I currently have this setup with natural gas and find that the humidity is rather high in my shop. The new house will have propane, so if I'm reading this right then my humidity level will go up even more?

Zombie: I'd love to have a bigger shop, but with the layout of the house that's all I'm going to get. Backing up to the garage is a family room, and my shop area is on the front of the garage with the roof peak going in the opposite direction. (easier to draw than explain!) After a lot of playing with roof pitches & such, that's the max I can end up with and still stay within budget. Life is all about compromise I guess!

Heli001: Great idea on the power in the middle of the floor. I'll run it past the electrician & see what he says.

Awaiting prices on the radiant heat option now, but I'm going to try to work that into the budget somewhere.

Thanks again for all the input!
Bob