Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

ON BOARD IGNITION

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 08:52 AM
ziggy-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ON BOARD IGNITION

I WANT TO ADD ON BOARD IGNITION TO A SAITO 100 IN A GOLDBERG CUB. I NEED SOME ADVICE ON HOW TO DO THIS. GERRY BLOCK
Old 03-05-2004, 09:21 AM
JimRoss

Default RE: ON BOARD IGNITION

I guess the cheapest way would be to add a battery pack( 1.5 volt), a servo and a switch wired to the glo plug and activated by the servo from an unused channel.
Another way eliminates the servo with a manual switch operated by the pilot to start the plane. It can be left on or turned off when the engine starts.

JimRoss
Old 03-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Floto

Click on this web site, www.electrodynam.com I have this onboard glow in my p38 and I like it very much, your LHS may have it or you can order it direct from the company. Tele.734 422 5420

Floto
Old 03-05-2004, 04:13 PM
ziggy-RCU

THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU GUYS FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS. I LOOKED AT THE ELECTRO SITE AND IT LOOKS GOOD..GERRY BLOCK
Old 03-05-2004, 08:32 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jim,
It seem like no one like to do things the simple way anymore. An onboard glow system that plugs into a receiver port is deemed to be better than just a single sub C cell and a switch. $40.00 verses ? Both systems need an on/off switch, remote glow adapter, external battery charging port and a sub C cell. Just an observation and my 2 cents, not a slam.
John
Old 03-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would go with the C battery and leave it connect ot the glow plug while in flight.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:49 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

If you don't mind the weight, Horizon offers a simple, very effective and easy to use on-board glow system in their Expert line of products. The cost is about $50 and it slaves itself to the throttle.

If you are just wanting an easy, no hassle method of starting the engine and the glow is hard to get to, Jim's idea of a switched sub-C cell is the way to go.