Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Subject for the next Raffle Plane?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Ultimate Bipe
24.56%
Pitts S2
8.77%
Zlin Acrobat
3.51%
Stevens Acro
3.51%
Citabria/Decatholon
19.30%
Hellcat F6F
12.28%
F16 Prop Jet
7.02%
Sukhoi 26M
8.77%
Gee Bee R1
12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Subject for the next Raffle Plane?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 06:41 PM
MikeSell
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subject for the next Raffle Plane?

Our Club builds a RTF, radio included, .60+ size plane each year as a fund raiser. Build quality is excellent, finish is competetion quality, as decoration is scale. Which planes would you find most desirable. Other suggestion appreciated.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Subject for the next Raffle Plane?

I would recommend one of three types of planes.
A Fun fly......Something Extra
A warbird.....Corsair
A aerobat.....Extra or Edge
Old 03-05-2004, 11:25 PM
Bob101

Last fall we did a .60 size Great Planes UCD which went over pretty well because it was a nice "beater" plane for the advanced fliers yet we've had a few members fly them as second planes etc...

This year we've already got a H9 Corsair and we'll see how that goes, it defenitly has more "flash" yet I'm betting it really cuts down on the number of pilots qualified to fly it well.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:22 AM
BasinBum

Since your building the plane for resale and putting time and effort into scale finish and detail build the Hellcat that lends itself to that type of build. Many Warbird enthusiasts appreciate scale planes with detail and I assume would be willing to pay for it. A funfly or aerobat with scale details is not very common and would probably be heavier than needed or wanted. Also as long as it will have a competition finish why not go bigger and have something that will appeal to the people who really have the disposable income to buy a RTF plane?
Old 03-06-2004, 07:48 AM
MikeSell

I personally wouldn't be interested in a raffle for any funfly or nonscale type airplane. I have too many of those already "a dime a dozen". Any plane that I can just buy off the shelf doesn't motivate me to buy tickets. I won't pay much for a plane like half a dozen other guys take to the field. The WOW factor is important when ticket sales count. We just wanted to know what planes would spur the most interest.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:41 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost chacked off the Hellcat, but chose the Ultimate instead.

While I would prefer to buy a ticket for a well done scale Warbird, I took the gneral population into account. As was mentioned earlier, many people might not feel qualified to fly a warbird, or would try and then trash it. (That would be painful. [:@])

The Ultimate is a great flying, popular bipe, and would likely appeal to the widest audience.
Dennis-
Old 03-06-2004, 11:34 AM
BaronSchwab

I want a GeeBee!!!!!
Old 03-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Bob101

ORIGINAL: MikeSell

I personally wouldn't be interested in a raffle for any funfly or nonscale type airplane. I have too many of those already "a dime a dozen". Any plane that I can just buy off the shelf doesn't motivate me to buy tickets. I won't pay much for a plane like half a dozen other guys take to the field. The WOW factor is important when ticket sales count. We just wanted to know what planes would spur the most interest.

/shurg I thought that was the whole point. What would spur interest is a plane people would actually fly and maybe buy themselves. People buy more fun fly planes than any other.

Of course you may have a different club than ours. If we gave away a scale warbird it would be good for maybe 2-3% of the club - the rest wouldn't be qualified to fly it - but they'd probably take a chance and wind up losing it soon afterwards. I guess it depends on your club - like I said we're giving away a H9 Corsair and I bet at our club less than 10% can fly it - of course our club 25% of members still fly a trainer - everyday.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:33 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bob,
That is a good point. At our club or 150 (and my other club of 50) maybe 2 to 3% have fun fly planes. The rest are either sport or scale.

Mike,
What about your club?
Dennis-
Old 03-07-2004, 09:00 AM
MikeSell

This club has limited their member roll to 50 but they run the largest swap meet in the state. After the plane is built, it travels on display to half a dozen other swaps. The plane is displayed and tickets offered to over 4,600 modelers. The drawing is held at the end of our swap meet.
Every year we debate what plane will have the most appeal. We tried Citabrias, Skylanes, Skybolts, Corsairs, and last year a fourstar, to name a few. Very few of the ticket buyers could build and finish a plane as well as these were built. It seems the that WOW factor is what sells tickets.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Bob101

That's pretty cool, at our club the big debate is whether to even buy an engine for the Corsair we're raffling off.

Warbirds always have a wow factor - even small scale ones. It takes a big acrobat in my opinion to equal even a small warbird wow factor.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:10 PM
SST

I feel that the flyability of the raffle plane will get less attention than the visual impact will. How many of us has seen, heard of or read a post by a rookie who just went out and bought himself a warbird, or a scale aerobat of some kind as a first plane? The suitability (or lack thereof) of the plane is not the thing, but the plain fact that a high-wing Cessna isn't 'sexy' enough to generate a lot of interest. The rookies often seem to think all models fly alike, and the veterans don't want some boring high-wing they outgrew years ago. The object is to generate revenue. While I personally prefer the Gee Bee, I imagine the Ultimate would appeal to the widest number of ticket buyers.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:42 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

While the aerobats like the Ultimate are popular at the moment, I voted for the Hellcat.

There are so many ultimates out there, particularly in arf land, that I think the scale plane would get more attention.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:46 PM
BasinBum

While I would prefer the Hellcat I think the widest appeal would be for a Mustang.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

I would think the citabria/decathalon would have a lot of interest. It is both aerobatic, docile and easy to fly/land. Both appealing traits which could only increase ticket sales.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:31 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Nothing says "buy me" more than a Geebee R1
Old 03-11-2004, 04:51 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I did both the Pitts and teh Decathlon.

Reasons as mentioned above. Most appealing for the general public / flight performance.

As for a warbird, a p51, or a spit, as the 'warbird' forums seems to favour these two...
Old 03-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Crashem

I would look around and pick a model that is not often modeled then do a nice scale job on it.

With all the Arfs out there its nice to own a "one" of a kind!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 08:13 PM
MikeSell

The Zlin is exactly that...a scale plane hardly modeled anymore. It was the #1 aerobatic competition plane of the late 60s.
[img][/img]
Old 03-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Cessna26

I would agree with a Corsair because that is what I want and like, even though I dont live near you. THen maybe a Cessna 182.