Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Fly R/C ???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fly R/C ???????

Several months ago I got a new magazine in the mail called FLY R/C. I thought the price for a year's subscription of $10.00 was not too bad, and they had a reasonable product.

Last week I got a renewal notice that asked for almost $20 a year and around $45 for 3 years. I noticed that the number of issues was up to 12 a year. Since it is now only 6 issues a year, I wonder. Did I miss something or are these folks making a BIG mistake?
Old 03-06-2004, 07:40 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Fly R/C ???????

Whats the mistake? They went from bi-monthly to monthly - hence the 12 issues and double the subscription price...

AJC
Old 03-06-2004, 08:43 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You missed something.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

They made an announcement a while back that explained these changes.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:09 AM
Jim Branaum

O.K., so when does this major change I slept through take place?
Old 03-07-2004, 07:02 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

O.K., so when does this major change I slept through take place?

It's a done deal!
And the Magazine is not a year old yet.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:26 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, let's hope that they don't take the current mag and make it 1/2 the size in content. If they do, we will be paying for the same information and twice the price. I am one that missed the move to a monthly as well. I do like it and want to keep getting it, and won't mind getting it a little more often.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:40 AM
ajcoholic

If you read the editorial at the beginning, you wouldnt have missed it

AJC
Old 03-07-2004, 08:47 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess that shows that I didn't.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:45 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Fly RC at least covers more than one facet of our hobby. So does MA but not as well. Personally I'm giving up all but Fly RC and MA. Too much time wasted reading that could be better spent building and flying. I caught the change in subscription prices and the monthly schedule change. Still not a bad deal.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

Several months ago I got a new magazine in the mail called FLY R/C. I thought the price for a year's subscription of $10.00 was not too bad, and they had a reasonable product.

Last week I got a renewal notice that asked for almost $20 a year and around $45 for 3 years. I noticed that the number of issues was up to 12 a year. Since it is now only 6 issues a year, I wonder. Did I miss something or are these folks making a BIG mistake?
Too bad they are not a Texas outfit, Jim, as you could take them to court under charges of Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Law. I took their trial issue, then sent the bill back well marked "CANCEL".

Notice that there a number of fish here that have no objection to hook-in-mouth baiting and then the big JERK!![>:]

Regardless of our differences, I don't think you were anything but a bit too trusting.

As for the magazine, well one has to admit they are keeping up with the times using blinking lights and glitter. That is what attracts the younger generations.
I'm surprised that you never commented on the "Engines 101" in the recent MA. Well, I think the Powers-that-be are a bit red-faced over that one. At least Hunt professes that the Jun issue will apologize for such misinformation.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:42 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ballgunner
Too much time wasted reading that could be better spent building and flying.
As soon as I put a building table in my bathroom I'll stop buying the mags.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:55 PM
ajcoholic

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Notice that there a number of fish here that have no objection to hook-in-mouth baiting and then the big JERK!![>:]

No one is/was obligated to extend their original 6 issue subscription. Who exactly was being deceptive?? So once you start a bi-monthy magazine and it is selling well, you can never decide to go monthly?? That sounds like crap to me. If someone doesnt want to extend their subscription to FLY RC then just dont send in any more $$.... simple? YES. Deceptive? NO!

AND TO TOP IT OFF.... anyone bothering to read the editorial in the Feb. issue that announced their going to monthly printing would have noticed that ALL subscribers were going to get the full annual subscription FOR NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE!!

Is that a crime in Texas too??

AJC
Old 03-07-2004, 09:57 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I decided NOT to subscribe and they are still sending me a bill......but no mag!
Jerry
Old 03-08-2004, 12:11 AM
the troll
Banned

Sounds like the old switch and bait routine for Jerry's mag to me
ORIGINAL: ajcoholic

Is that a crime in Texas too??

AJC
Old 03-08-2004, 12:22 AM
DownSideUp

May I ask what is MA? Is that Model Airplane News or is that another magazine? I looked in MAN but didn't find Engines 101. Am I reading the right mag?
Old 03-08-2004, 12:30 AM
Jim Branaum

Model Avaition, your AMA magazine.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:04 PM
rc247

You didn't miss anything.. Its now 12 issues of ads instead of just 6.

Go with RC Report.

Bill
Old 03-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Jim Branaum

I guess some think I am stupid because I don't pour over EDIIORIALS! Jeez guys, I like to build models and fly them! As far as I know bait and switch is illegal in most states, but I am not sure this really qualifies as such - so troll on.

rc247, thanks for the straight answer. It is appreciated.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:46 PM
SteveW
My Feedback: (36)

I think you are all reading way to much into this. What magazine doesn't do this? I've been writing cancel on Popular Science bills now since October of last year, they're still sending me bills. As to bait and switch, I don't see that that's a concern either. Going to a monthly was always part of the plan from day one if I remember the introduction in the first issue. Oh well, just my two cents worth.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:17 AM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

I'll throw in here. I actually LIKE FRC. It's well done. The quality of photos is excellent and the articles are well written. I'm glad they are going to monthly. I may dump MAN (but my Dad buys me the sub and we swap his RCR for my MAN monthly).
I'm glad they are having success enough to go monthly. The last new RC mag to make it was RCR and that was nearly 20 years ago (excluding the discipline-specific rags). I subscribed to RCExcellence a couple of years ago and decided not to continue it as I didn't think it worth the money (apparently I was not alone).
Old 03-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I don't get why people like Fly R/C so much. It's just articles reprinted from Model Airplane News and Backyard Flyer. If there's a scam anywhere in this, it's got to be the fact that you're paying more money for no new content!
Old 03-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Al Stein

Why do we have magazines at all -- R/C has been with us for over a century (it was invented before the airplane), the concepts of flight go back to Leonardo daVinci and before, ... and, byt the way, the web is just a place to replay it all.

Maybe it's for the people who haven't been around since Leonardo and don't yet know everything.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:04 PM
lynxx

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

I don't get why people like Fly R/C so much. It's just articles reprinted from Model Airplane News and Backyard Flyer. If there's a scam anywhere in this, it's got to be the fact that you're paying more money for no new content!

That has to be one of the most stupid remarks I have seen in a long time. Maybe you should think about why people like FLY RC so much. Could be your proof that you are entirely wrong. The magazine is expanding like no other magazine in the history of RC. They must do something right.

Jeeezzzz, the level of stupidity sometimes amazes me
Old 03-10-2004, 07:55 PM
ajcoholic

ORIGINAL: lynxx

Jeeezzzz, the level of stupidity sometimes amazes me

whats the biggie - you like you buy, you think its a bad magazine, dont buy it! But unless you actually picked up a copy and read it, how are you to judge? Listenign to some of the remarks here.... they should have folded after the 1st issue

MAN it is definitely NOT...

AJC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.