Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

THE END OF RC

Old 03-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE END OF RC

Yesterday, was my VERY LAST DAY to fly a Radio Controlled Model Airplane.
I have been flying RC for well over 45 years now.

I was so scared, that I QUIT , and have begun getting rid of every item I have of this hobby, for the last 45 years.

While flying my most favorite plane, the 1/4 scale Piper Cub, and doing a touch and go, while MY BRAIN was wanting to STAY ON THE GROUND my HANDS actually opened the throttle (half way) and applied UP elevator. The wheels had actually rolled into some a very shallow water puddle which slowed down the "touch and go" speed...... with not enough speed, the half throttle setting and the up elevator raised the nose, the plane stalled to the left, which I corrected with RUDDER, then stalled to the right and cartwheeled.

The breakage was minimal. The EXPERIENCE of the "split" between my thinking and the actions applied was so overpowering that I knew immediately that I have reached a DANGEROUS point.

SO I QUIT, FOR GOOD
Let me tell you, the SHOCK was so intense that I don't even think I will miss RC anymore.

So I guess I quit while I am AHEAD.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:37 PM
rcu guest-delete

Default RE: THE END OF RC

Barrick, Feel bad about your experience yesterday, but PLEASE don`t quit R/C, if you can`t fly anymore, maybe you can help beginners to have a solid start. With all those years of R/C`ing, you have tons of knowledge to share, and the joy of helping somebody to solo-flight it`s almost as great as flying ourselves. Anyways, you will be missing R/C in few days. JT
Old 03-08-2004, 10:58 PM
jettstarblue

Couldn't have said it better myself!
One suggestion; Park flyer!

Jetts
Old 03-08-2004, 11:01 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Give it a week and try it again.....bet you change your mind!

Jerry

PS At least I hope so....
Old 03-08-2004, 11:01 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, if that's a true story it is kinda' scary. But in spite of what you think you were thinking, in your subconscious mind you must have wanted to keep flying.

I'm guessing that this was actually a "last straw" kind of thing though.
Dennis-
Old 03-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Barrick: that's a drag old timer! Well if you feel you must give up flying real r/c, then consider getting the Real Flight simulator and you can have a real good time with one of those. I was out of r/c flying for 20+ years. I am just getting back to it and actually have not piloted a real r/c plane yet but have been spending time on the simulator and doggone if it ain't like the real thing!

-Tom
Old 03-08-2004, 11:53 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, don't get rid of it all yet. We all have bad days. Give it some time and you will feel different. too many times I have gotten rid of stuff that I said I would never use again only to have to buy it again. Hope you change your mind. If not, find something you enjoy as much.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:00 AM
BasinBum

Let me throw in my two psycho-analytical cents on this one. If you really wanted to quit you probablely would not have posted on here. You would have just quit, maybe have a friend sell off your stuff or just given it away. I don't know how old you are but I have seen young guys have a brain fart while flying, happens to rc pilots all the time, I've been there.

So if you really want to quit, by all means do it and don't listen to people here that think it's going to effect the hobby or something if someone quits. But if on the other hand time makes the incident less traumatic, get back on the horse and try again, it's the only way you'll know.

The recomendation for a Park Flyer makes sense as well, there are quite a few older guys at our field who have disvovered that the new electric stuff is light years ahead of what was available only a year ago. I wouldn't tell an experienced rc flyer to get a stock park flyer though, definately upgrade the power system and you can get something that is every bit as good as a sport glow plane but safer.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:47 AM
jettstarblue

Reply number two from me........I thought about it last night, and what you did what most people do, then yell, "I GOT HIT!!!!!" or, "SOMEONE SHOT ME DOWN!!!!!!! or, "MUSTA BEEN A MEAN WIND VORTEX!!!!

Give it a couple of days, and go back and fly. If you are really worried, get someone to "keep and eye on you".
Don't stop flying.
FLY FOR LIFE.

Jetts
Old 03-09-2004, 08:52 AM
BaronSchwab

Fomie combat is still left without the fear of crashing.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:37 AM
Jim C.

get a kite... not really sure why you brought this up other than attention really.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:46 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

park flyers are for sissies[sm=biggrin.gif] when i get old and decrepit with failing eyesight[8D] i'll just go back to C/L full time and if i can't stand on my own in the pilot's circle i'll just build a powered turntable[X(] for my wheel chair...
[>:][:@][&:]

dave

edit: added a bunch of smileys so people wouldn't take my post too seriously
Old 03-09-2004, 10:01 AM
BasinBum

Dave,
Just check out this one of many, many examples of the new wave of "park flyers" out there and tell me they are for sissy's.[link=http://www.foamyfactory.com/videos/extra-sneak-peek.wmv]Video[/link]

I have Quicky 500's and 1/4 scale gas aerobats but I built one of these and love it, so call me a sissy.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:07 AM
jettstarblue

Hey,
This guy posted because he was having some doubts about his flying, not to ask you guys to come on here and give him a bunch of crap.
Park flyers are for sissies? Why because you have a nepoleon complex or something?
Get a kite? You have never flown some of the better kites, I suspect, or couldn't.

Jetts
Old 03-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

I was so scared, that I QUIT , and have begun getting rid of every item I have of this hobby, for the last 45 years.
Can I have your stuff?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:17 AM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So you had a brain fart, we all do......We are only human.
You have experienced what a lot of full scale pilots experience. I known some pilots that once they got on the ground, could never go near a plane again because their relapse in not performing a procedure correctly scared themselve sensless. Some wait awhile and then go back up with an instructor just to get their confidence back up. I know when I did something scary (ie: stupid), I tried to go over the procedure again with an instructor so that I was better prepared in my mind to be able to handle the situation again. Give it a few weeks. You obviously don't want to give up RC cold turkey or else you wouldn't be here on RCU. If you don't trust your abilities, have a instructor fly with you on a buddy cord. I've done this with a few of my warbirds because I was too nervouse to perform the checkride solo. Just don't try to hastly sell everything off and try to forget you ever did anything with RC. You will regret it.

Scott
Old 03-09-2004, 10:28 AM
J_R

Only you can decide if this was a one time thing, or if it was a lapse in concentration. You know if this is something that is happening in the other areas of your life. You should make the decision based on that. Almost all of us have a lapse in concentration on occasion. If you are taking long flights, you may want to consider taking shorter ones.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:48 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Barrrick, its a personal choice that you need to make, however, don't make it based on one incident that may or may not ever happen to you again. Give it some time, then try again. If it happens again, you'll know what to do. If it doesn't happen, you may get in a number of years before you need to move on.

ORIGINAL: jettstarblue
Get a kite? You have never flown some of the better kites, I suspect, or couldn't.
The stunt kites are not only challenging, but a ton of fun. I bought one on a lark, and was immediately hooked at trying to do some of the tricks. The slack line tricks rival the complexity of 3D flying we are doing with RC. They are hard to master, and just plain memorizing in the air. If you have a spare $20, purchase the DVD that Prism sells on advanced kite maneuvers. You'll never look at a kite again in the same way. And at $100 to $500 per kite, they sure are cheaper than RC. I ended up buying about 4 kites last year for those days when RC flying isn't in the cards. And there are days that I'd rather fly the kite than a decked out 40% aerobatic plane. They are that much fun and just as challenging and rewarding when you get a maneuver right.

Check out this compilation of some of the maneuvers!! Worth seeing, trust me. www.giantscalerc.com/kite_freestyle.wmv (15mb, best to download and play)
Old 03-09-2004, 11:13 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Got any stuff to sell just kidding, Barrickk if you have been in rcing this long I am sure you have crashed before, so get over it and come back full steem ahead next week.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:14 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I agree with those that say you shouldn't give up yet. I know it might be kind of humbling after flying for 45 years, but I would ask an instructor to take you up with a trainer on the buddy box for a few flights. For one, you would get some fun flying in without fear of crashing. This would build up some confidence. Also the instructor would be able to give you a good assessment of your flying.

I would also recommend an easier flying plane such as a Kadet Senior or Senorita. With the recommended power things happen so slow on those planes that the "Ooops" you described earlier would have been easily corrected.

That's just my take on your situation. You can always help new people out.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:25 PM
jettstarblue

Alright guys! That's more like it!

Jetts
Old 03-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Cactus.

man if i quit every time i had a brain fart i wouldn't be posting here
Old 03-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

I get the impression that this is not the first brain fart he has had. I would bet this decision is based on a series of events recently and he decided for both safety and possibly monetary reasons, it might be time to look at other options. I hate to see someone with so much experience just quit. I hope you stay involved with the hobby and pass on your 45 years of experience to the new comers.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Barrrick, my recommendation is not to quit but get and fly a plan where delayed reactions will not cause an issue. A slow poke or sig senior would be good. Just don't give up, adapt your flying/airplane to your present or future skill or capability.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Cactus.

every club needs a old fart that knows it all and doesn't fly, we've got more than one here
but you don't need to be that guy

if you really think your that bad that you need to quit flying, then where does that leave you for driving? we've all seen little old grannys that can't close the door let alone hit the brakes hard, if at all..
i've not read the whole thread but it'd take more than dumb thumbs for me to quit.. at the worse i'd just get slower easier models to fly

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.