Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Tell me what you guys think

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Tell me what you guys think

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 10:24 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me what you guys think

Over the weekend I bought a Acro 50 on ebay. The seller, stated that their location is in Oak Brook, IL, about 25 miles from me. They had shipping listed as $25.00 for the plane. I figured if I won the auction I could pick up the plane because I have many clients in the area and I could save the $25.00. After I won the auction I emailed them that I would pick up the plane and pay them cash. They replied that they only do mail order no pick ups, whats up with that. I went on the UPS web site and checked what shipping would be and it came out to about $12.00 and if they did alot of shipping it would be a bit less. So emailed them back asking why I could not pick up the plane and told them that no way was I going to pay $25.00 to ship a box 25 miles. They replied they would contact Ebay to cancel the transaction. They did not offer to charge me actual shipping cost but to just cancel the order. The way it appears is they make money on shipping these ARF's and would rather cancel an order and resell it to someone farther away than to charge a fair price. Seems a bit unethical to me. Oh well Toledo is coming up soon, I'll spend my money there.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tell me what you guys think

Not now familiar with the zoning, etc now in that area, since I left there in '85. For six years I owned a Hobby Shop on NW Highway in Mt. Prospect, and there were a few that had to get *GRATUITIES" if staying in business was an objective. More hands than mine hung around the till. [:@]

Possibly the business is being operated out of a place where local zoning or HO Assoc. does not allow such business. Lots of that going on these days. Allowing pick-ups will bring unwanted attention to the business. That will certainly require too much *Gratuity* around the area.

It's best to send an email to the seller BEFORE the final time of the auction and find out BEFORE if a pick-up is OK. I just picked up an already built airplane about 40 miles from here this past Fri. from an eBay auction. I knew that BEFORE time.

edited to remove double word.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:52 PM
jettstarblue

I've notice a lot of stuff on e-bay that has a high shipping price, it's just a way of making more on each sale. I'd buy elseware.
E-bay is a funny place- there was a book about laminar plane structures that you can buy new from several places (new) for 37.95, and last time I saw it, it was up to 123. something and still had 4 hrs. left to bid!
Buyer beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jetts
Old 03-08-2004, 11:17 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That seller is selling the same planes on Ebay all the time. I don't do Ebay but a good friend of mine does. I had my friend contact the selller about the same plane. I asked what the covering was and if I had the winning bid if I could pick it up. They gave my friend a rude reply " how the hell should I know what the covering is" and no pick ups. I just felt a little turned off and lost interest. My feeling is that they are making money on the shipping and they could have said that they didn't know what the covering was a little nicer.

Pete

PS...Hey Hossfly, where is New Caney, TX? I will be moving from Illinois to El Paso TX in the spring.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:56 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only reason I can think of them not wanting you to pick it up is that there is probably something wrong with it. Your better off bailing on it. It is pretty stupid of them to do it that way.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:08 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Caveat Emptor!
They posted $25 dollars shipping and you bid on the item. You didn't ask about pick-up first and assumed what you wanted. If they are a mail order business they probably don't have staff, facilities or insurance to handle walk ins. The charge for UPS is only a part of shipping costs and again, they stated it up front.

You are in the wrong on this one and if they don't post negative feedback (i.e., non paying bidder notice) you should thank them and consider yourself lucky. I'm guessing you already gave them negative feedback.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:26 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Contact Ebay and give him a black mark on his karma.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:49 AM
rc-sport

He responded to me this morning and said that waiting around for 30 minutes for someone to show up is not his way of doing business, geez what is his way? His ad said that the shipping price was not negotiable, that should have tipped me off to what kind of person this is. His loss, I was going to contact Marc to see if I could do a review of this plane .
Old 03-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Crashem

rc_sport-RCU,

I got to agree with BB on this one. It was all spelled out for you if you didn't like the shipping it was YOUR responsibility to find out if a pickup was allowed BEFORE you bid.

Its funny how these types of threads start.... Which part of the auctions terms did you not understand

PS It doesn't matter if the guy is a rude individual they stated the terms of the sale and you ignored them[]
Old 03-09-2004, 09:29 AM
stuk_at_work
My Feedback: (111)

Remember that it is shipping and handling. Packing material costs $$, driving to UPS/FedEx/USPS costs $$, not to mention time! Many vendors on eBay (I've done this in the past myself!) will quote a fixed price s/h charge so that potential buyers know exactly what an item will cost them at the end of the auction, and they don't have to run back and forth to a shipper twice (once to quote, once to ship) for each item they are selling. The charges are usually a little on the high side to make sure expenses are covered, but there is the convenience factor for both buyer and seller by listing a fixed price shipping charge.

Many vendors also are "home based businesses", and for obvious reasons do not want buyers knowing where they live. There are a lot of crazy people out there, and when I sell things I do my best to protect my home address. It is a family safety thing.

$25 may have been too high a price, and the vendor may have been rude, but I am in agreement with basinbum on this one. You made an assumption that turned out to be incorrect and by reneging on the deal the vendor would be in his rights to post a bad eBay feedback rating for you if he so chooses. I would recommend that you do not post a negative feedback for him. He doesn't deserve it, and it may strike a vindictive chord with him to post a bad feedback feedback for you.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:52 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with BB and stuk_at_work. If the shipping price listed was too high or you wanted to pick up the item instead of having it shipped, that should have been discussed with the seller before you submitted a bid.

I would not leave bad feedback on the seller.

Eric
Old 03-09-2004, 09:54 AM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: rc_sport-RCU

He responded to me this morning and said that waiting around for 30 minutes for someone to show up is not his way of doing business, geez what is his way? His ad said that the shipping price was not negotiable, that should have tipped me off to what kind of person this is. His loss, I was going to contact Marc to see if I could do a review of this plane .
I can just see the review now....
The box said the plane should wiegh 5 lbs. but I thought I could build it at 3-1/2 lbs. It ended up being 5 lbs. and I am very disapointed with this manufacturer.....
Old 03-09-2004, 12:26 PM
rc-sport

Well in my defense there was 1 hour left on the bidding when I found it so any questions would not have been answered in time. As far as handling charges it doesn't take long to log on to UPS.com and schedule a pick-up, I do it all the time. Basin Bum my review would have reflected how I felt on the product, good or bad. Geez, when you guys don't see a bad review you complain favoritism, when you smell a bad review you still complain. Basin, you wouldn't be happy even if they hung you with a new rope
Old 03-09-2004, 12:58 PM
BasinBum

Don't start a thread titled "Tell me what you guys think" and then get defensive when we do.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:06 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Don't start a thread titled "Tell me what you guys think" and then get defensive when we do.

You are in top form on this thread....have you been working out?
Old 03-09-2004, 01:33 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Well in my defense there was 1 hour left on the bidding when I found it so any questions would not have been answered in time.

That's not a defense, you shouldn't have bid. But you did, and by doing so, you agreed to his terms.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:41 PM
rc-sport

Yea, I guess I did learn something, stay away from ebay
Old 03-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Crashem

As far as handling charges it doesn't take long to log on to UPS.com and schedule a pick-up, I do it all the time.

This statement alone leads me to believe that you really haven't got a clue

Shipping and handling charges for the item in question were $25.00 and they were not negotiable (You words not mine)
It doesn't matter what UPS.com says the shipping charges should be!!!! You didn't buy the product from UPS.COM!!!!! Nor does it matter how long it takes to schedule a pickup!!

BB is right If you didn't want to hear other opinions you should not have asked

BTW Some companies do in fact make money on Shipping & Handling no surprise there[X(]

There is no defense that you can possibly use to justify your actions... You knew upfront both the cost of the product and the shipping charges. What you did was make an incorrect assumption (i.e. being able to pickup the item) and then you compounded your error by

1. Backing out of the deal
2. Posting this here

Used to be that a person's word was ther bond and a deal like this would be honored for no other reason then keeping there integretity.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
rc-sport

Crashem, I didn't back out of the deal, the seller cancelled it when I told him I didn't want to pay $25.00 to have a box shipped 20 miles. I sent him an email this morning offering to meet him tomorrow at 2:00 to pick up the order. He hasn't responded so I'll let him cancel the order.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:12 PM
tommy157
My Feedback: (1)

Packaging material and boxes can easily run up the cost by $10.00. Check out prices at Office Depot for boxes and packaging material. Then there is the time to take to a pickup site or if you schedule a pickup at home it cost $2.00. The add said $25.00 shipping clear enough to me. The problem here isn't E-Bay used it for years and very satisfied.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:12 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Crashem, I didn't back out of the deal, the seller cancelled it when I told him I didn't want to pay $25.00 to have a box shipped 20 miles. I sent him an email this morning offering to meet him tomorrow at 2:00 to pick up the order. He hasn't responded so I'll let him cancel the order.
Deciding you don't want to pay the $25.00, that YOU AGREED TO PAY, IS backing out of the deal!
Old 03-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Crashem

rc_sport-RCU

listen I don't want you to think I'm bashing you. But its clear from your last post that you don't want to take responsibility for your actions To actually say that the seller cancelled the deal and you didn't back out of it is actually funny!!!!!

Does anybody else know of any company that will send a product AFTER the buyer has indicated that they won't pay for the shipping is unreal of course the sale was canceled you breached the contract!!!!

Have a great day!!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 02:26 PM
rc-sport

Well Crashem I guess your right. I'm just used to doing what it takes to keep the customer happy.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Crashem

I'm just used to doing what it takes to keep the customer happy.
Why is it that this defense comes up whenever a "customer" is being unreasonable[X(]

Maybe I could be one of your "customer" Could you please sell me a brand new saito .80 golden Knight for 25.00 and 10.00 shipping and handling????

Thats what it would take to make this customer happy... and we can all see from your post that that's what you are all about

Please PM me with payment info and an ETA on delivery
Old 03-09-2004, 03:30 PM
rc-sport

OK, let me reword that. Everything with-in reason to keep the customer happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.