The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

GWS Warthog Power Upgrade (FIX)

Old 03-14-2004, 10:29 AM
randaddy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GWS Warthog Power Upgrade (FIX)

Have I been left holding the (parts) bag again?

As the story goes...I purchased a GWS A-10 ARF, after trying to fly it with the stock (vendor supplied) EDF-50 Fan units in every conceivable configuration and only getting barely marginal performance at best. I find out that GWS now ships the airplane with the more powerfull EDF-55 units. Now I am left with having to buy new fans and nacelles just to get the plane airborne!

My Question is should I have to encur the cost (at least 50% of origional price) to rectify the (lack) of power problem that GWS is obviously aware of ?

To me, it is as if I bought a new car and then finding out I have buy a new motor for it just to get it to roll !!!

I FEEL RIPPED OFF !!!.......................HELP..... Randaddy
Old 03-14-2004, 12:14 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GWS Warthog Power Upgrade (FIX)

FWIW

Don't know much about this plane but I helped a guy at our field launch one yesterday. His is box stock (not the new power plant) unpainted and with no landing gear. He said it weighed 16oz. We hand launched it and it flew fine. No powerhouse but if flew reasonable well. Even did a loop (well, more of a back flip).

You might check your weight and see if you can't make it go before buying the new power plant.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:11 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd also ask what you're using for a battery pack.

A LiPoly pack would help a great deal if you aren't already using one.
Dennis-
Old 03-16-2004, 09:44 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I concur with Mr. Cherry, if your flying small electrics without Li-Polys your just jerkin your own chain.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:56 PM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Randaddy,

I talked to the GWS guys at the AMA show and they knew the A10 had power proplems.
I asked if the upgrade was going to be free to us that purchased one before the upgraded
motor came out and he said no. I have seen the A10 fly with the edf 50 fans if you can call that flying.
I could never get mine to stay up in the air no matter what batt. I used. I even got new 50 motors.
Yes GWS should replace them for free. I have 5 GWS planes and am happy with 4 of them but the A10 makes
me FEEL RIPPED OFF also. If you do a search you will find most people never got it to fly.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:38 PM
KEVINMEY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, i fly my A10 with the new motors and a 3 cell Li-Po at 5600ft above sea level. I have to watch ambient temperatures, but that's not different than when I fly a normal ducted fan. I get someone to hand launch it and it goes like an A10 should.I realize the excess voltage may shorten the motors life, but I could not get to fly with any other battery pack. By the way I'm now flying my second GWS A10, the last one a gaint tree got in its' way.
Regards, Kevin
Old 11-17-2005, 09:12 AM
ClemenTang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Used to fly a painted A10 with undercarriage, EDF 50 fans, AAA size NiMH batt, the thing can ROG and actually climb. It's so slow it lead me to think it's underpowered but found out it can actually leave the ground in a 10m take off run or so, maybe less. I even trimmed the bottom of the trailing edge to reduce the undercamber hoping to gain speed.

Clement
Old 11-22-2005, 04:51 AM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ClemenTang

Used to fly a painted A10 with undercarriage, EDF 50 fans, AAA size NiMH batt, the thing can ROG and actually climb. It's so slow it lead me to think it's underpowered but found out it can actually leave the ground in a 10m take off run or so, maybe less. I even trimmed the bottom of the trailing edge to reduce the undercamber hoping to gain speed.

Clement
You didn't state the results of trimming the bottom of the trailing edge. Did it help or not?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:54 AM
ClemenTang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No noticeable change. It's still THAT slow. If it weren't scale I would clip the wing. There's some reservation in it since climb rate was pathetic meaning power was marginal for that setup but hey it's a ducted fan maybe it was meant to go faster and that wing looks like drag. Let's hope someone with a junky one will try that out.

Clement
Old 11-22-2005, 11:46 AM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks. It just needs motor up grade.