Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Should we have "Regional RCU" forums for specific countries or regions?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes. Good Idea
36.84%
No. Bad Idea
50.88%
Just an idea
12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Should we have "Regional RCU" forums for specific countries or regions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 08:27 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should we have "Regional RCU" forums for specific countries or regions?

Our stats show that about 25% of the traffic to RCU is non US based. People come from all over this spinning blue planet of ours to visit RC Universe. Many have asked before if we should open up a few regional forums to talk about specific things to those countries or regions. Things such as insurance, frequencies, places to operate their RC stuff, prices in their local currency or just whatever.

Do you guys think this is a good idea, bad idea or just an idea.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:17 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Should we have "Regional RCU" forums for specific countries or regions?

I'm saying yes simply because I think it would be valuable to have a place exclusively for questions pertinent to a particular country.

However, I'd defer to the folks overseas (or north/south of us) to make the choice.
Dennis-
Old 03-15-2004, 01:50 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should we have "Regional RCU" forums for specific countries or regions?

It's an idea, but I kinda enjoy hearing from the other side of the pond and would hate to see that stop.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:51 AM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cstevec

It's an idea, but I kinda enjoy hearing from the other side of the pond and would hate to see that stop.
i doubt it would stop at all if it is limited to regional topics only like clubs, flying fields and events. looking at the member list i see a ton of registered users from my country but the vast majority have 0 posts so if we were allowed to use our own languages it would probably get a lot more members to be active as not everyone is comfortable using english.

dave
Old 03-15-2004, 08:36 AM
ben flyn

NO! That's what makes the internet great, we get to hear from other RC fliers. It's wonderful to talk to RC people from Russia and etc.!
Old 03-15-2004, 08:54 AM
BaronSchwab

Great idea. It make a place for peoples to come together according to country.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:19 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I vote yes, becasue there are issues taht would pertain to specific geographical locations..

Some of tehse locations (countries) have thier own 'rc forums' but teh knowledge on this particular site cannot be matched!

With having these 'specific' forums, all will still cuze the other forums...
Old 03-15-2004, 09:25 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also enjoy hearing from our overseas friends, but a forum solely dedicated to their local problems could be good for them.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Dig it

I don't see why you would bother. Canada already has its own www.rccanada.ca .
Old 03-15-2004, 10:45 AM
ZAGNUT

ORIGINAL: ben flyn

NO! That's what makes the internet great, we get to hear from other RC fliers. It's wonderful to talk to RC people from Russia and etc.!
why be so negative??? the current users that post on the "american" forums would still be there! the "regional" forums, if allowed foreign languages, would just bring in additional users that havn't been active until now because of their limited english. think about it!

i'm also thinking that the regional forums should only allow local topics but should also include a moderator that can help users translate their questions for the main forums.

dave
Old 03-15-2004, 11:41 AM
rc12

If you want to aim at a paticular groupe just specify that in your post.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:06 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Dig it,
I visit there too, but this place has way more thu-put..
Old 03-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Cactus.

wow, 25% of the world still isn't America
as long as the forums are allowed to be chatty and guys from countries can just hang out then yes, but mods will have to REALLY! stamp on anyone starting flame wars over where you come from.
i don't think the forums should be locked to those ONLY from those countries either.
native languages allowed is a great idea.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:51 PM
Dig it

dr wogz. Yep, I agree, but its nice to be able to go some place where everybody is on the same page.

We don't have to deal with the AMA and its problems for one. However, if you want eight answeres to your question in half an hour, you come here.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:00 PM
kh6oo

I think its a bad idea. The whole idea of the internet is to connect us all not to sep. I get some of my best ideas and posts from other locations. Why fix what is not broke.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:09 PM
riceh03

I think it would be a great idea if we could subscribe to the regional posts even if we don't live in that area. The great thing about the forums is that it gives everyone a voice that wants to speak. If I want to add the Aussies to my chosen forums I could still read their posts. If others want to use a different native language, I think that is great. I would hate to be forced to use a different language to post my comments, you would probably only see the smiley faces to represent my $0.02 worth. Open it up and let everyone use it as they want. This is great site and I wouldn't want to deny anyone the right to benefit from it.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:31 PM
SALMONBUG

altough I would love this idea, I thruly believe it won't be from hig benefit for my modeling skills
I feel that I will stop browsing RCU and stay only in my national forum talking with 2 or 3 fellows........
Old 03-15-2004, 04:56 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like talking to the people from other places too. I would like to see it left as is.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Hintydude

This is one of those ideas where you would like the best of both worlds.

Sure there are times when it would be great to debate things on a Regional basis but I feel to do so would mean we would miss out on the wider experiences of all the members.

I guess that means I am not in favour of Regional forums only.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

While I am in favor of a regional forum system, I do want and expect it to be in english.
I would like to read and grow. I am too old to learn another language.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:40 PM
SALMONBUG

ORIGINAL: Geistware

While I am in favor of a regional forum system, I do want and expect it to be in english.
I would like to read and grow. I am too old to learn another language.
I think it's utopic, if people from a same country are talking together they will be tempted to use theire own langage
Old 03-16-2004, 10:31 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I think it's a bad idea. There is already to much compartmentalizing of the hobby going on. Everyone on RCU is a modeler, and one of the nice things about the hobby is that it transcends political/geographic boundaries...why ruin that?
Old 03-16-2004, 10:32 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: phillybaby

native languages allowed is a great idea.

So would you prefer Welsh for the UK native language choice?
Old 03-16-2004, 11:40 AM
mvigod
Banned

the intent is not to ruin anything. most of the hobby transcends boundaries but some things do not. currency, where to buy, insurance organizations, clubs and certain cultural differences, legalities, frequencies and controlling agencies of them, etc. The regionals would be a place to talk about those things that don't transcend.

ORIGINAL: P-51B

I think it's a bad idea. There is already to much compartmentalizing of the hobby going on. Everyone on RCU is a modeler, and one of the nice things about the hobby is that it transcends political/geographic boundaries...why ruin that?
Old 03-16-2004, 12:26 PM
ZAGNUT

from the responses i'm seeing it looks like everybody thinks the intention of the "regional" forums is to seperate members according to country...to "lock out" members from different regions...no more contact between members from different countries....that really would SUCK but i'm sure that's not what Marc is talking about.

if i have an engine question i would still post it in the current forum!! but what if i want to ask "which LHS has the best stock of APC props?" would i get a response by posting it in the "clubhouse"? probably not! but a forum frequented by my countrydudes (most likely new members) would probably get me a quick reply.

dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.