Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Your oldest flying plane.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 10:02 AM
ben flyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your oldest flying plane.

I'm curious how long most planes last. I have freinds that have planes that are 20 years old and are still flying.
Mine is a Senior Falcon that is over 15 years old.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:19 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Default RE: Your oldest flying plane.

I have a senior telemaster that my uncle gave to me the plane is about 20 years old and the O.S. 90 fourstroke is about 17 years old, it is a great flying bird,,, and I have a giant 3d plane in which I play with, but there is nothing better than going out to the field on a cool North Carolina Saturday afternoon and putt around on the old telemaster...
Old 03-22-2004, 11:28 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I retired my Skytiger at 23 years old and plan on rebuilding it. My Top FLight P-51 is 13. My Cherokee is about 15. These are all high time flyers. I just treat them like a real plane. Do pre-flights, maintain the batteries, keep the engines clean and lubed, and keep the plane clean of fuel residue and a plane will last many years.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:51 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Me to Scott, on my Extra I might fly it 4-8 times on a sunday afternoon at the club, but on EVERY flight before I start up I check linkages,fuel(cap off always), and controls surfaces for correct movement, the guys at the field look at me like I am a wierdo but these are the same guys that rebuild 2 to 3 planes ayear, my plane is not worth risking for 45 seconds of maitenance, I have always been a cautious, perfectionist, I just double check everything,,,HUUUUUUUUUUUUu
Old 03-22-2004, 12:32 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Midwest Hustler delta built around 66. Still fly it occasionally. K B 20 DF engine.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:57 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Airtronics Sagitta 600 that is still flying after 18 years. The wings have been recovered twice but it's still the same plane.
Next longest is a Top Flite Holy Smoke that is 16 years old.

Don
Old 03-22-2004, 01:04 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Anyone with a plane more than 10 years should be proud of his flying skills. But I'm not sure that answers your question of how long "Most" planes last. Having seen so many wrecked on maiden flights, I would say the average is much less than one year.

Many of the guys that crash 2-3 planes a year are good pilots who knowingly stretch the limits of their ability. For them, that is the whole fun of it.

Tom
Old 03-22-2004, 07:34 PM
ben flyn

Tom,
I would a agree with you! I have about 2 to 3 crashes a year if I'm not combating.

I'm wondering... we all have planes that are our favorites, the longer we fly them, the better we get with them....or....the longer we fly them, the more chance we have to wreck'em (getting too over confidant)?
I find the guys who fly till they run out of gas, are the better fliers. The ones who fly half tanks, (like me) don't improve as fast and are more nervous to fly.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:15 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, I may have a couple of planes that are almost 2 decades old but I have also had a plane that lasted all of 30 seconds (accidently turned the radio off on the maiden flight) and another that lasted a weekend (pulled up on a low inverted pass).

It all evens out in the end

Don
Old 03-22-2004, 10:39 PM
perdo
My Feedback: (61)

I have a Jensen Das Ugly Stick, that I built in 1976 and is still flying every year. It is on its third engine and fourth radio. But still flys every year so I can get my nerves steady for the other planes in the stable.

Don///