Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Flight Data Recorders

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 07:26 PM
CheezeyPoof
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight Data Recorders

Gadgets a cool. I am guessing this comes with software for us to look at the flight on the computer. Does this also identify any potential problems with servos, engines and such
Old 03-25-2004, 10:09 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Flight Data Recorders

Yes, the software comes with them, and you can get engine RPM and head temp readings. They will also tell you if you're getting servo glitches.

Here's a review of the Eagle Tree System:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=253
Old 03-25-2004, 10:52 AM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

After I installed one jumbo servo on my rudder, I could hardly hold knife edge, when I should have been doing knife edge loops. After installing the data recorder I realized how close I had come to balling up the plane. The jumbo servo was pulling over 850 MA and dragging the battery voltage from 6.0 to 4.5 when at full deflection under the flight loads. I put a separate battery on the rudder servo alone, and now have full rudder authority again and still keep the juice flowing to my other servos and recivers. Without the onboard recorder, I would not have figured this out in time.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:09 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anybody know if these FDRs can be used with a PDA (Palm Pilot)? I like the idea of using the PDA so that I can use the data at the field without needing a laptop or waiting to get home.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:12 AM
MinnFlyer

I don't know Scott, but if you go to my review, I think there's a link where you can DL the manual.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:37 PM
CheezeyPoof
Banned

So I guess you only need one and you can just install it from one plane to another to see whats going on? Is this a fair assumption?
Old 03-26-2004, 08:37 AM
DBCherry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe they plug into a receiver channel, but if you want all the parameters like engine temp and rpm you must also install a number of snesors. So I would think that moving it from plane to plane would take time.
Dennis-
Old 03-26-2004, 10:35 AM
MinnFlyer

Not really.

The Recorder is about twice the size of a receiver.

It has 4 "Y" cords that plug into it. Each one goes to a servo, and the receiver (IE Plug the rudder servo into one end of the Y Cord, and plug the other end of the Y Cord into the rudder channel on the Rx)

However, it will also record Engine temp which is only a matter of wrapping a sensor around the head, but in order to record RPM, you need to do a little work to install the magnets and sensor.

Airspeed is simply a matter of attacing a fuel line "Pitot Tube"

So it's complexity is a matter of how much you want to record.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:41 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

You could switch from one plan to the next, but the you need to install a "pitot" tubing for teh airspeed in all the planes you want to use therecorder for. I have one and have used it on an Eagle II (rigged with tape to hold the pitot tube, and in my Swalow pattern it has the pitot coming beside the servo on the wing (I know i might get a lower (or higher? reading) since the pitot is not on the leading edge but on the other hand is non obstrusive and you can't hardly see it so i makde sense to me also it will be consistent an 1 or 2 mph error is acceptable.. will post pictures if you want.
The eagle recorer goes in line between the radio and the servos, the package brings its ownextension leads, so the servos actually connect on the recorder and the recorder leads to the radio.
After you donwlodad the data you can "recreate" your flight and check your input and the repsonse from the plane, bear in mind that the speed, movement of sticks, battery volatge and alitude are real while the rate of descent )or ascent) and nose attitude are simulated. You can also analyze the data on a worksheet format.. ahhh.. and yes it works if the airspeed is higher than (if i remember correctly) 24 mph so my eagle at first didn't move that speed meter even though it was flying wide open throttle and a div e sure did change that.
AS AKflyer says it is VERY useful to check what your batteries are doing in flight.
They ahve now a socket that allows you to download the data w/out taking teh wing off, maybe they will develop a PDA interfase (neat idea) I will try to contact them and see what they say..

WHOA!!! now i have ranted a lot !!!